Help with RPM sensor on the Sensor Hub - Cannot get any read

Thorvald

Help with RPM sensor on the Sensor Hub - Cannot get any read

Post by Thorvald »

Help! Looking for help from anyone with an RPM sensor connected to a Sensor Hub or anyone that has one laying around they can hook up for a moment to do a test.

I'm working on testing the RPM code changes I've made but I can't yet even get started on the bench... the Sensor Hub is not reading RPM signals from two different sensors, a Spektrum Crankcase sensor and a Aerospire Multigov sensor.

Now I know the polarity of the Sensor Hub RPM sensor is different from all others:

Left is Positive
Middle is Signal
Right is Ground

So I've accounted for that and moved the signal wires on both sensors.

With my Fluke Scopemeter, I can see the signal nice and clear (+3.25v rail with no signal) and drops to zero when a pulse occurs (magnet passing over sensor). Nice square wave when the RPM is steady so I know the signal is good to the hub.

I've tested the Spektrum sensor by hooking it up to a T1000 telemetry hub (after reversing those wires again) and sure enough, works great.

However on the Taranis, I never see RPM or RPM+ change at all from 0.

I've tried with the Sensor Hub powered off the data line and with power in the extra servo connected, to no avail.

I figured I would have at least caused some noise to change RPM+ to anything other than zero lol.

---

Can someone test with an RPM sensor that the current firmware still works? Before I pull whats left of my hair out... lol.

Thanks
Tim

Thorvald

Re: Help with RPM sensor on the Sensor Hub - Cannot get any

Post by Thorvald »

I've now tried two more sensors, both work the same way as the Spektrum:

1. Aerospire Multigov Sensor (actually just a Hall Effect switch with wires)
2. Hitec Optical RPM Sensor HTS-ORPM (the one that looks almost the same as the frsky one)

The Hitec actually outputs a 6v to 0v square wave but still nothing is registered on the Taranis RPM or RPM+ display.

---

Does someone have a Taranis, a S.Port Vario and a Sensor Hub with RPM sensor that can confirm it does work in the current firmware and possible that the signal looks like?

Thanks
Tim
Thorvald

Post by Thorvald »

And finally success!!! Looks like I found an issue with a combination of devices killing the RPM data.

If I use the following:

X8R -> FVAS-02H -> SP_FLVS -> SP-40A
FVAS-02H -> FSH-01 (Sensor Hub V2)

I get no RPM at all.

---

If I remove any one of the other Smart Port devices (Lipo Sensor or Current Sensor), I get RPM!

Connect them both together on the SmartPort Bus and RPM is dead again.

So I suspect I've found some conflict between all these devices which is a good possibility since the Sensor Hub supports it's a non SmartPort lipo sensor and current sensor.

I've tried various means to connect them in the chain but as soon as both the Lipo and Current are connected, RPM dies.

---

I'll next test with non-SmartPort sensors but I expect they will be fine.

So good news, we can use the Spektrum Crankcase sensor by only moving around the pins to match the Sensor Hub wiring.

Cheers
Tim
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Aha, it would have helped if you had listed your full setup at the start!

As far as I know if you want to use the vario as a bridge to the "old system" for the hub then connecting other smart port sensors isn't supported. Can't mix old and new.

Although it would be a good idea to investigate further. Don't think anyone reported trying that yet.
Thorvald

Post by Thorvald »

Thanks Kilrah... I know. Dum ass Engineer here didn't listen to his own advice... ooops.

I also learned something new:

With the SmartPort Lipo sensor removed and using an old data Lipo sensor connected to the hub I get the following:

With Old Lipo Sensor and New Smart Port Current Sensor the RPM reading will not always drop to zero when no signal is present, it will stay at the last value.

If I remove the New Smart Port Current Sensor and perform the same test, no issues at all, RPM drop immediately to zero when the signal stops.

---

I'm only just digging into the code now (doing my Blade/Spur/Pinion mods) so eventually I'll add some debug code to my personal version to output the raw serial data from the sensor hub and smartport so I can see what's getting munged.

Cheers
Tim

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Cool, someone who knows his way around :)
If you compile with DEBUG=YES you'll have a sport.log file on the SD card with a dump of the received data. It's timestamped so if you also use the Log custom function you can compare what comes in and what it's decoded to.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk

Return to “openTx for FrSky radios”