open9x freeze/reset or restart

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
abukede

open9x freeze/reset or restart

Post by abukede »

Hi.

I'm new to the open9x but I get a 9XR radio and load it the open9x - r1855 EEPR: 212-0

I also have modded the menu buttons with micro pulse switch's. I do not believe it as also to do with the problem...

Some times when navigating in the menus the firmware restart and other times it freezes and I have to turn it off and on again.
And also some times he goes to the main screen and a black "!" appears at the up-right corner in the display.

I cant find any pattern other than random clicking the up/down/right/left buttons.

Thx

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Re: open9x freeze/reset or restart

Post by Rob Thomson »

Well... The black explanation mark is telling you it crashed and rebooted badly.

My only thoughts are that there is an issue with the soldering on the switches?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
abukede

Post by abukede »

Rob Thomson wrote:Well... The black explanation mark is telling you it crashed and rebooted badly.

My only thoughts are that there is an issue with the soldering on the switches?

Yep at the beginning I also thought that but I rechecked the soldering and none of them is in short... and even if it is, the only issue that should have was to constantly pressing a button not reseting or restarting the board... I guess.

thx;)
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Did you try with different options? Did you try er9x? Did it boot with the original FW?
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

If I am correct, Brent had the same issue in the 9xR when multiple keys where pressed at the same time.

His fix was to put a spacer under the nav buttons to prevent all the switches being pressed at once!

I put one on when I did my micro switch mod, so have never experienced the same issue.

Rob

...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!

mhotar

Post by mhotar »

I had the same issue, 9XR with switch mod. It restarted also when only one button (left/right/up/down) has been pressed.
I tried all available firmwares (not the original 9x), including th9x with the same problem. I had to place 1k resistor in series to these switches.
But I dont see a reason for these resistors, I also believe to software issue.
viewtopic.php?f=73&t=628&start=420#p37206
abukede

Post by abukede »

bertrand35 wrote:Did you try with different options? Did you try er9x? Did it boot with the original FW?
Nop I just try it a few minutes with original firmware then made the button mood and changed to open9x.
Rob Thomson wrote:If I am correct, Brent had the same issue in the 9xR when multiple keys where pressed at the same time.

His fix was to put a spacer under the nav buttons to prevent all the switches being pressed at once!

I put one on when I did my micro switch mod, so have never experienced the same issue.

Rob

I also have that issue but I cut a bit of the plastic that push the rubber.
mhotar wrote:I had the same issue, 9XR with switch mod. It restarted also when only one button (left/right/up/down) has been pressed.
I tried all available firmwares (not the original 9x), including th9x with the same problem. I had to place 1k resistor in series to these switches.
But I dont see a reason for these resistors, I also believe to software issue.
viewtopic.php?f=73&t=628&start=420#p37206
Ok this solution is working until now. I just put 4 1k resistor just like you show in the other post.

Thx to all that tried to help ;)
Xtrem

Post by Xtrem »

Ok this solution is working until now. I just put 4 1k resistor just like you show in the other post.
Still working Abukede?
alarcer

Post by alarcer »

Hi,
Has any one found a solution to this problem other than adding resistors? I have done the switch mod (all 14), and placed a spacer under the Dpad. I am running OpenTX with a DM9 module with internal antenna.
Thank you!
(9XR)
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Opentx as a firmware option has a profile setting for the 9xR.

I recall that there was a plan to try fix this I'm software - so maybe this is a route to check?

No idea if it does include a fix though!

alarcer

Post by alarcer »

I am using "OpenTX for 9XR with M128 chip" Are the 1K resistors soldered in series (break the trace on the PCB?), or are they actually parallel?
mhotar

Post by mhotar »

They are in series with each switch.
Break the trace and bridge with resistor.
alarcer

Post by alarcer »

Thank you! What size resistors are used?
mhotar wrote:They are in series with each switch.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Just been looking into this (don't have a 9XR), so I'm guessing. On the 9X, there is a 0.1uF capacitor across the switch, preseumably to debounce it. When the switch is open, the capacitor is charged to +5V. As soon as you press the switch, the 5V side is shorted to ground, so the other side (already connected to ground) will try to go to -5V. If the board is badly laid out, you will get a negative spike on the ground line. This might cause the procesor to lockup causing the reboot. Adding a 1K resistor will prevent the negative spike. Probably, the tracking for MENU and EXIT is diferent so they don't cause the problem.
The original, squishy, switches would most likely have some resistance so dodn't cause the problem.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
mhotar

Post by mhotar »

Mike: You are probably right, as always. I learned a lot from your posts, thanks :)
alarcer: I used 0805
DSCF0197.png
PenJo

Post by PenJo »

Hi,
i have stock T9X board with Atmel128, no other modifications. Navigation buttons are working just fine but few clicks with any trim button will allways reset board. Usually it shows that explanation mark in right upper corner.
Tested with open9x 2129 to opentx last version, all the same. Can this be same problem?
If i´m not using trim buttons, everything is working ok.

Pen
DaveMoi

Post by DaveMoi »

Hello everyone,

I've been reading the different posts concerning the freeze/restart problems after installing the microswitches. I'm experiencing the same problem after installed microswitches on my transmitter. I would like to install the fix with the resistors, however I'm looking for some instructions how to do this preferably if anybody has any pictures that would great.

Thanks for your help to figure out how to install the buttons was very helpfull :)

David
DaveMoi

Post by DaveMoi »

mhotar wrote:They are in series with each switch.

Do they have to be SMS resistors or can I use regular 1/4w 1k resistors that I have lying around?

Thanks,

David
mhotar

Post by mhotar »

It is the guestion of the placement only. If it fits, no problem.
DaveMoi

Post by DaveMoi »

So it's probably easier to solder them on the other side of the print, closer to the buttons?

-David
DaveMoi

Post by DaveMoi »

I installed regular 1k 1/4w resistors. I soldered them near where the traces move from the front to the back of the pcb. This made it a bit easier to older them and spread out the locations where the resistors are placed as these are considerable bigger than the smd resistors. The problem with the freezes and resets seems to be solved. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
viperman3

Post by viperman3 »

any updates to this issue being fixed via software? My 9XR is rebooting after I installed the button mod.
Romolo
9x Developer

Post by Romolo »

An hardware problem cannot be fixed by software.
It's probably an issue with a ground loop as in the original 9X...

Return to “openTx”