9X Roadmap

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
Mochanic

9X Roadmap

Post by Mochanic »

OK, guys I'm sure there are a lot of us on here have a 9X that are finally getting comfortably enough to start modding it, but are to lost with where to start and need some help with what should be done, why, and in what order.
Can somebody please explain in layman's terms what the recommendation are for hopping up a 9X? (it's ridiculous how smart some of the people are on this forum, and to most of us they speak a different language!)

There's so many things that can be done to these radios that a normal person can get lost in a big hurry! I have managed to flash my 9x with OpenTX using Companion9X, but that's about as far as my mods go except for the lipo battery and back light which were both very easy. But now I'm ready to get serious and would like to know where to start.

1. What are the advantages of changing out the CPU?
2. Should I change the mainboard and if so why, and with what alternative?
3. I want to add telemetry preferably with the XJT module, what's the best way?
4. Which mode should we be using: PCM, PPM, PXX, etc. and which is best?
5. If you could layout a "roadmap" of what you recommend and why, this would be a HUGE help to us normal guys!

BTW, I can't tell you guys how much I appreciate all of you helping others and leading the way with these bold steps towards proving that you don't have to spend thousands of dollars to get the best there is! That's why I am donating periodically to the cause and urge the rest of the normal guys to do so too. We get so much out of the incredible knowledge these guys share with us!

Thanks a METRIC TON to all of you that help others on these forums!

rperkins

Re: 9X Roadmap

Post by rperkins »

1. not much. more memory for models
2. no. dont think any alternatives are currently being produced
3. Not sure on this . but sure it has been covered
4. This is dependent on the module you are using
5. personally all I did was add the backlight kit from HK and build a DSM2 module to fly my MCPX. Well and install a usbasp into the radio with a USB plug mounted where the 'old' antenna was located. The modding of the radio can become a hobby in itself and you may benefit from having a 'second' radio so you arent continually grounded in the middle of mods. I went with ER9x but if I was starting over today would go with opentx, as it appears there are more developers working on that firmware

just my 2 cents. Welcome to the forum
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

3. er9x already supports the XJT module on the stock 9X. You just need to connect the telemetry signal, via an invertor, to the serial input pin of the processor, having done the 'telemetry mod' to free the pin off.
4. The XJT, on er9x, uses PXX for best results.

Personally, I feel er9x is easier to start with. It fits on stock, whereas with openTx you have to choose what features you want as they don't all fit, and if you are just starting it is not obvious what they all are.

Mike (er9x developer).
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

6. If you want telemetry, you might as well want your radio speaking to you and tell you voltage, altitude, etc ;)

Yeah, modding this tx is a hobby itself :D I love it :mrgreen:

Ahh, and I can see it's your first post. Be very welcome..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

1. if you want to use open9x you can select any combination of features, as the flash ram is big enough to hold the code, that otherwise would not fit into the M64

Reinhard

nsf

Post by nsf »

Mochanic wrote: 2. Should I change the mainboard and if so why, and with what alternative?
rperkins wrote: 2. no. dont think any alternatives are currently being produced
No alternatives being produced, but there is still an excellent one for sale: http://www.fpv4ever.com/en/turnigy-9x-o ... oard-.html :D
I have one (bought it directly from the developer Skynorth), and it's awesome.
With one of these you basically don't need any mods
More memory, telemetry, haptic, voice, bluetooth ready, usb programable,micro sd card socket, and a bunch of other features.
In my opinion, well worth the money.
But if you like modding and use a soldering iron (I do and have another 9x for it), it's like João said, modding this radio is a hobby.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Rather than upgrading the 9x in a big way, you might want to look at Taranis or the expected 9XR Pro. More capability for less money and effort. Of course, they eliminate the tinkering fun. :)
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

they eliminate the tinkering fun.
Shame on them for that :mrgreen:
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

nsf wrote:
Mochanic wrote: 2. Should I change the mainboard and if so why, and with what alternative?
rperkins wrote: 2. no. dont think any alternatives are currently being produced
No alternatives being produced, but there is still an excellent one for sale: http://www.fpv4ever.com/en/turnigy-9x-o ... oard-.html :D
thanks for the clarification. I did not know any were available.
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

I have to say, its a hard trade up from doing all the mods or just buying something that is already done….
I believe that there are some things worth doing and other worth buying.
For instance...
Joystick Mod, can't buy it, so its worth building ( for camera movement )
MegaSound9X (have built several and nothing feels better after doing it and hearing her speak, but for $39 you can get that now)
LED backlight display, HK for less than $5 (easy mod to do)
Module install (internal/external) for Telemetry, etc.. (pick your poison, do you want interchangeable or stationary)
Programming interface (can you solder, SmartieParts Board for no soldering ($36 for Programmer Board and USB interface)
for another $20 you can get the Telemetry EZ board that saves you from more soldering for Telemetry modifications to the Main Board as well.
Rotary Encoder, You can't buy the solution but its worth the time and approx $10 for hardware
Rotary Switch for Mode Select for APM (priceless, you can use switches or just create this mod, its out on Ebay for $25 or so)
Haptic Mod, simple and a few dollars….

IF you have time, its fun to do all of this as Jhsa had mentioned… if you have money, then buy it all.

I always believe that if you build it, its yours… (but that being said, i do like to support others that can do it better) ;-)

enjoy and welcome to the forum….
Custom 9x with M64/Telemetry Mod

Return to “Hardware”