9x Solderless Programmer Board Rev 2.4

Everything about the smartie programmer and backlight kit!
PAheliguy

9x Solderless Programmer Board Rev 2.4

Post by PAheliguy »

Ok guys, newbie to programing here so be gentile...

I have been running my HK 9x v2 for about six months or so. I use it for flying my modified 9958 heli. I really dig this controller and know what it is capable of in the right hands.
I had bought a Used BNF Blade Nano CPX that needed a bit of work and scored a DX4e in an other auction a few months back and was running with the DX4e. I also picked up 2 MSR's and I am looking to pick up a MSRX. With all the Blade products, I needed to get a DSMX module running. So I grabbed an old JR FM module for pennies and gutted the Dx4e for the module adding a 3.3V 3A UBEC - 2~5S Lipoly (6-23v) to pull it all together. now for the er9x updating...

I have on the way to me a smartieparts board rev 2.4 and I also ordered the HK back light kit to go with it as I read that the back light is no longer a smartieparts option.
I have a few days before parts get here so I have a little time to get my head around the programing steps! but I have a few questions already.
I have read some of the WIKI threads and I am further confused, probably just information overload at the moment...
but the wiki isnt updated for the new 2.4 version of the smartieparts board so I have what are probably stupid newbie questions,,,

First question:
From Smartieparts sight:
The primary feature of our board is that it gives you a full-time programmer installed in your radio that allows you to "flash" new improved firmware onto your radio whenever you want, just by plugging it into your PC via a common miniUSB cable (not included).
So I need a plane jane nothing special usb to mini usb cord like this? seems too simple. :)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6Ft-6FEET-USB2- ... 43bd636eff

Second question
The Firmware this paragraph is referring to is the ER9x program correct? Where is the latest version available from? I have read the wiki and they all talk about needing the most recent, updated, complete firmware... I need a link to the right one! thanks.
Our programmer gives you the tool to install custom firmware on your 9x radio, but we do not have any involvement with the firmware development itself. We do not provide the custom firmware with the product, nor is it downloadable from our site, but you can get it freely from the Internet. There are so many options available now that it wouldn't be fair to try to list them here. Please visit openrcforums.com for all your firmware needs!
Third question
from what little I understand so far, Eepe is what I need to use to get er9x up and running but do I need to download a USBasp also???? the wiki is vaig on what I need for the smartieparts board.
Similarly, we do not provide the software you will need to make use of the programmer, but again there are options available freely from the Internet. The software you choose will depend on your type of computer and which Firmware you're going to use. Generically speaking, any software compatible with a USBasp programmer will work (avrdude, for example). One generic Windows tool we've had success with is eXtreme Burner - AVR, however some of the firmware projects have their own advanced software packages that you'll probably be much better off with. Highly recommended are Eepe (for the er9x project) and Companion9x (for the OpenTX project)

Thanks in advance for any replies!

s_mack

Re: 9x Solderless Programmer Board Rev 2.4

Post by s_mack »

PAheliguy wrote:So I need a plane jane nothing special usb to mini usb cord like this? seems too simple. :)
Yup, that's it.
PAheliguy wrote:The Firmware this paragraph is referring to is the ER9x program correct? Where is the latest version available from? I have read the wiki and they all talk about needing the most recent, updated, complete firmware... I need a link to the right one! thanks.
If you Google "er9x" the first page is what you want. Scroll down to "latest binaries"
PAheliguy wrote:from what little I understand so far, Eepe is what I need to use to get er9x up and running but do I need to download a USBasp also????
Er9x is the firmware, eepe is the software, usbasp is the hardware. The software controls the hardware in order to flash the 9x with the firmware. So when it comes to hardware, you need a usbasp. But don't get confused... the SmartieParts programmer IS the usbasp. Its just a specially designed usbasp specific to the 9x. USBasp is an opensource design. Generically speaking, its a tool some guy (Fischl) came up with to flash pretty much any AVR microcontroller chip. I just laid it out in a specific way (and added some features) so that it can be bolted onto a 9x without the need for any soldering or cutting a messy hole in your case for a connector.
PAheliguy wrote:I read that the back light is no longer a smartieparts option.
Well... sort of. Up to Rev 2.1, the SP board included an EL panel backlight. When it came time to re-order, I had some supplier issues with the backlights. As well, most people were getting the HobbyKing LED backlight anyway. So I changed the circuitry to support the LED backlight and reduced the price (since I was no longer supplying the panel itself).

- Steven
PAheliguy

Post by PAheliguy »

Steven,
Thanks for the response, did not expect to hear from the builder of this board! awesome. Sorry you have to answer silly stupid questions from insecure newbies like me. :)
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

PAheliguy wrote:The Firmware this paragraph is referring to is the ER9x program correct?
Or openTx, or the couple of others available... but those are the 2 main ones, yep.
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Actually, that's a good point. When I said:
I wrote:Er9x is the firmware, eepe is the software, usbasp is the hardware.
I wasn't implying those were the only examples of each. I was just answering in context to the question. You have multiple options for all three categories.

PAheliguy

Post by PAheliguy »

thanks for all the help guys!
the board and my back light are installed. the eepe is running and er9x is loaded and I can fly one of my heli's. now I need templates and learn how to use eepe programing! wish me luck!

Return to “SMARTIEPARTS PROGRAMMER”