ER9X/OPEN9X port to WALKERA WK-2801(PRO) feasible ?

Need some advice? Trying out a new idea? Fancy a beer?
Join us for some general banter and good times.
blackmoon

ER9X/OPEN9X port to WALKERA WK-2801(PRO) feasible ?

Post by blackmoon »

(Mods, I don't know where to post this so...)

Ok don't get to exited, even if I a had the time I lack the brains.

DISCLAMER : Noob in the programing field, all of the following is based only on a wish, maybe someone with the skills can made it true.

So this is a non-programer crazy idea to use an almost compatible transmitter (and not shelf it when all compatible flying models are gonne).

Let me explain :

Yesterday I opened my Wk-2801PRO for some autumn cleaning.

And what did I saw sitting right there all sad and alone in the middle of his motherboard... I'll give it to you, yes a nice Atmega64 coupled with a CYRF6936 and RDAT212 RF amplificator module.

So my mind begins to wander...

And IF...

We took the power of er9x (or open9x) and then borrowed the sources from the deviation project mainly the protocol stack, and made a mix of both worlds.

The WK-2801(pro) uses the same type of RF module found in the devention series (minus telemetry, (I think, feel free to correct)).

I remembered a thread on RCG about FCC id, so I just went to the FCC site, typed the WK-2001 FCC ID and was rewarded with a bunch of pdf files from internal pictures to schematics.

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ ... WK-2801PRO'

At the moment I barely made a comparison between the 9X and the 2801(PRO) schematics.

But as I see it (don't hit if I'm completely wrong), it would be a matter of :

Remap the I/O for the stick and different switches.

Maybe change the calibration routines to account for different potentiometer values of the sticks ?

Adapt the lcd driver to accommodate the lcd panel on the WK-2801.

This could be tricky because the only reference in the photos submitted to the FCC are to a XYD-12864T52 lcd module, it seems to be a 128*64 parallel one like in the 9X.

Maybe only change the ldc init routines ?

I did some search and found a XYD-12864T module from this site :

http://www.yexinda.com/EN/products02_b.html

As you can see there are two different module, one with a KS0108 lcd driver and one with a NT7532 driver.

But it could be these are not at all the same type in use in the WK-2801 and I can't find any XYD-12864T52 lcd module anywhere (maybe someone more skilled at hunting down these kind of things...).

Adapt the deviation protocol stack to ER9X (OPEN9X).

Program routines to initialize and drive the RF module

And this for me seems even more trickier.

Conclusion:

In the end those with this radio, would have a transmitter that would support the following protocols (and imo better from an hardware point of vieuw than the 9X):

DSM2 (even DSMX if PhracturedBlue comes trough and to date he has with his FW).

Legacy WK-2401, 2601, 2801 protocol.

The current Walkera protocol, Devention.

The current Nine Eagles protocol, j6pro.

And last but not least, we could even have the Flysky one, with a little HW mod.

All this without being obliged to switch modules at the back of the transmitter (I'm just fed of doing so each time I switch models).

And for those who need more flash, one could always replace the Atmega64 by a 128 ain't that fun, or wath :p

What do the firmware Gurus think of this, could it be done without much hassle ?

Thank you for reading, and commenting, this long post.

Paulo.

Imho

Re: ER9X/OPEN9X port to WALKERA WK-2801(PRO) feasible ?

Post by Imho »

I just wondered the same thing myself. The 2801 is a surprisingly nice feeling TX, I will have to open my (long unused) one and have a look.

Return to “The Pickled Gnu (The Pub)”