Basic Installation

Everything about the smartie programmer and backlight kit!
RCPlaneHobby.com

Re: Basic Installation

Post by RCPlaneHobby.com »

GrootWitbaas wrote:actually looking at the gen 2 board it looks like the pad location is a slight bit off, so here is a update possible mod. Clean the track like in the picture.
At the red line cut very carefully and at the blue circle place a small drop of the conductor paint used to repair the heater in the back window of a car.
I do not know how good this will be, but if you put a few small coats of the paint it can probably work ok, and that will be a solder less solution. No extra wire needed for the track to the left :D

Alternative a small piece of copper track from a broke/test board can be soldered between the pad and track.
Man i wish I had thought of that :idea:

I wonder if one would have to cut a small slit to have a gap between the pad and the trace to avoid a short, which still shouldn't be too difficult, definitely better than soldering.
Nice one!!

GrootWitbaas

Post by GrootWitbaas »

yes you need at leas 0,8mm between the pad and the track. this is not to hard. if some one wants to try this and it works then we can post this also at the start op this topic. (/me makes note to make time to update 1st post :roll: )
General trouble maker and wannabee Dev
Galand

Post by Galand »

RCPlaneHobby.com wrote:
wheelspinner20 wrote:RCplanehobby.com, where did you get the radio?? was it recently?? Just wondering if it was from Hobbypartz?
no got it from leadershobby...
http://www.leaderhobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001220239

RC Plane, do I understand this correctly that you got a Tx with a V1 board from Leaders?
I thought that sofar they came only out of Hobbypartz.
RCPlaneHobby.com

Last edited by RCPlaneHobby.com on Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RCPlaneHobby.com

Galand wrote:
RCPlaneHobby.com wrote:
wheelspinner20 wrote:RCplanehobby.com, where did you get the radio?? was it recently?? Just wondering if it was from Hobbypartz?
no got it from leadershobby...
http://www.leaderhobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001220239

RC Plane, do I understand this correctly that you got a Tx with a V1 board from Leaders?
I thought that sofar they came only out of Hobbypartz.
Hi :)
Yes that is correct. I got a th9x from Leadershobby and it had the gen 1 board - much to my chagrin :shock:

Galand

Post by Galand »

Boy, that sucks!!!
RCPlaneHobby.com

lol ya I was devistated ;)
then I did the soldering and burnt the resistor, at which point I decided to sell all my stuff and exit the hobby.
then after a couple days I studied up on pcb soldering and did the resistor fix, thank CINDERELLA it worked. I was all giddy again :lol:

you can read the whole story here if you haven't already...
http://www.openrcforums.com/forum/viewt ... ?f=11&t=76
RCPlaneHobby.com

GrootWitbaas wrote:Actually looking at the gen 2 board it looks like the pad location is a slight bit off, so here is a update possible mod. Clean the track like in the picture.
At the red line cut very carefully and at the blue circle place a small drop of the conductor paint used to repair the heater in the back window of a car.
The attachment Clipboard04.jpg is no longer available
I do not know how good this will be, but if you put a few small coats of the paint it can probably work ok, and that will be a solder less solution. No extra wire needed for the track to the left :D

Alternative a small piece of copper track from a broke/test board can be soldered between the pad and track.

JUST BE WARNED: I take no responsibility if you break your board doing the above ....
here is an overlay of the gen1 and gen2 boards. The yellow circle is where the gen 2 pad is. Perhaps this will give all a better idea of where to cut the slit and place the conductive paint. Groot you were very close. You do that with the dead eye method?
Attachments
Clipboard04.jpg
Clipboard04.jpg (44.83 KiB) Viewed 12439 times
gen1_2.png
GrootWitbaas

Basic Installation

Post by GrootWitbaas »

Years of practice. Yes i use the eye many days for things like this. I have also been proved wrong ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RCPlaneHobby.com

devgrp form rcgroups used a conductive pen from radio shack and put a spot on the scraped off track as shown in the pic below and it worked.

pen link
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=3964901

GrootWitbaas

Basic Installation

Post by GrootWitbaas »

See my update on my post above about the mod

Groot

RCPlaneHobby.com

GrootWitbaas wrote:See my update on my post above about the mod

Groot

Thanks - good stuff! 8-) I almost want to try it just for the sake of trying it ;)
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

I'm about to order another TX. If I get a board I'll use this method -- but rather than putting tape over the pad, I'll probably use enamel finger nail polish.
miss5031

Post by miss5031 »

This pretty much what I did. I scraped away board over the right pin location and put a solder pool there. Then scraped away at other solder pool to disconnect it from that line in the board. I also put some liquid tape over that spot as an added measure. It took a few times, but I finally got it and all works great. I am having a blast with this new radio.

Return to “SMARTIEPARTS PROGRAMMER”