Turnigy 9x ban at local club

Need some advice? Trying out a new idea? Fancy a beer?
Join us for some general banter and good times.
jhsa

Re: Turnigy 9x ban at local club

Post by jhsa »

Let me remind you that 20 years ago there wasn't electric flight really.. so we had to have nitro powered planes..
I still like the noise.. actually I do prefer the gas engines specially the 4 stroke ones. The problem is that I can't afford them at the moment and don't have enough space for them anyway..
One of the things that attracts me in airplanes is the noise. Love the noise of a P-51 or a Spitfire, real ones of course..
Loved the noise of the Edge540 from Annes Arch. A few years ago we used to have an airshow by the river in the place I lived in Portugal.. He flew close to the water and then right in front of us just went vertical. I will never forget the roarr from that engine. It was just fantastic..

At my club we have now rules also. Can't fly IC models after 8 pm. on Sundays and holidays we must also stop between 12 and 15. Also on those days the combined engine run time can not exceed 2 hours, so we always must log all the flights.. electric just log name date and frequency. IC logs all that plus flight time.
Yeah, the president of my club is a bit of a dictator but he is not a bad guy. He always moans but if you go to him he always helps you.
Also doesn't have any commercial interest. He doesn't sell anything. The rules he imposes don't really affect me directly as I don't fly FPV but I do get angry because the guys could be crashing there at the field instead of crashing into some property, or worse, people one day..
Our insurance does allow us to fly in other places as long as we ask the owner and he/allows us. we are covered then. But not with FPV i think
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

kaos

Post by kaos »

Definition: Politics (from Greek politikos "of, for, or relating to citizens") is the art or science of influencing people on a civic, or individual level, when there are more than 2 people involved.

Art or science. art is subjective, period. Science can be objective, but it could be wrong. ;) For a long time the earth was flat based on 'science' at the time.
Democracy/politics is not based on the truth/fact, it is based on how people 'feel'/'think'. When a group of people together, there will be issues is based on ridiculous assumption, because that is how they 'feel'.
when art is mixed with 'ego', anything can happen. ;)
Just look at the US FAA can't even make up their mind whether to allow certain electronic device during take off and landing. don't you think it is very easy for the FAA to conduct experiment to determine what will or will not interfere with avionic electronics?
Look at the US weapons ban heatedly going on now, nothing comes out from fact or truth, everything is based on 'feel' and NEWS REPORT. When a news break out, how many times it is true? but the reporter seldom goes back to correct the initial report (unless it is a major boo boo or a lot people responded to it). But people read news, and that news WILL make an impression in one's head. day after day, news after news, people form their 'opinion' or how they feel. In the end, it is all based on nothing but 'air'. or simple word: brain wash. :lol:

I surely like to know how many of those incidences in the club, the flyer come back and tell people: c**p my tx failed and I lost my plane. did any one come back and say: dam, I made a dumb mistake and lost my plane. I seldom hear flyer say they made a mistake (flying, set up, checking equipment), it is always equipment fault. Every flyer is expert flyer, they can't do no wrong. The only time they won't blame on the Tx is when they are using a 800.00 Futaba or Spectrum. And we all know some times, those may actually be the Tx's fault. :mrgreen:
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I'm the opposite.. If my tx fails I will tell that it was my mistake :D Do you think I would tell them that my cheap chinese tx failled and be banned? no way.. :o :mrgreen:

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
sgofferj

Post by sgofferj »

Kaos: you got the wrong definition...
Politics is a medical expression: from greek "poly"=many and "tic"= nervous damage, disturbance... :P
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:

kaos

Post by kaos »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I thought it was a parrot that had swallowed a watch (polly ticks).

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

ha ha ha.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
propnut

Post by propnut »

I know this is an old thread and hopefully your club has not banned the radio but perhaps this post I did sometime ago may help

http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2193

As you will see I found a very workable failsafe solution for these radios. I can however concur that the stock Flysky module does have a potential shadowing issue and this is, I believe, down to the BODA antenna. I have experienced this repeatedly and very reproducibly at one of my flying sites but only on one of my aircraft which is an HK Radjet. On this model , if I fly over a certain area I always go into failsafe. Between the aircraft and myself at this point there is a large lorry trailer that the farmer uses to store stuff and a clump of trees. It is my belief that reflection off the trees and the trailer accompanied by shadowing as a result of the angle the antenna is at when at that point which means the signal has to go through the motor esc and battery is just not conducive to good reception. The exact same plane at the exact same point using an FrSky system does not suffer any problems.
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

propnut wrote:As you will see I found a very workable failsafe solution for these radios. I can however concur that the stock Flysky module does have a potential shadowing issue and this is, I believe, down to the BODA antenna.
The BODA works well. I wouldn't blame that for the issue in this case.
propnut wrote:On this model , if I fly over a certain area I always go into failsafe. Between the aircraft and myself at this point there is a large lorry trailer that the farmer uses to store stuff and a clump of trees. It is my belief that reflection off the trees and the trailer accompanied by shadowing as a result of the angle the antenna is at when at that point which means the signal has to go through the motor esc and battery is just not conducive to good reception.
Hang on here! ... Yes trees and metal objects between you and the aircraft are going to cause problems. In this case I'm going to assume the the trailer and the trees were not on an exact line between you and the model. If you were, it would mean that you were behind the trees or the trailer. Reflections off objects will cause areas of cancellation of the signal, but those areas are small and by small I mean around every 50mm and both the reflected and the direct signal were of equal level to achieve full cancellation..

The real suspect is the location of the antenna, so that it has to 'look through' the motor, esc and your battery. The placement of the antenna is important and should be clear of all wires and metallic objects, and as far as possible be in a location where it isn't likely to be shadowed by anything, regardless of the position/attitude of the model.
propnut wrote:The exact same plane at the exact same point using an FrSky system does not suffer any problems.
I take it this is with a Frsky RX that has two aerials, which enables you to place the ends away from the battery, esc and other stuff, which would account for the result you got.. I try to put my two aerials in a 'V' formation as that tends to give good results, regardless of the attitude of the aircraft.
dvogonen

Re: Sv: Turnigy 9x ban at local club

Post by dvogonen »

I had the exact same kind of problems with the default FlySky radio module/receivers. When I flew over a certain area at my flying site of choice I repeatably lost control. At first I thought it was strange upwind, but after many occurrences I now am 100 % sure it is radio link loss. Strangely enough I have used the same receivers successfully in gliders at great distances.
I no longer dare to use FlySky 2.4GHz radio modules / receivers for anything. After switching to FrSky I have had no issues at all. It just works.

Recently I have used the much criticized Orange Tx module and the very affordable LemonRX DSM2 receivers for cheap and lightweight planes. Yet again I have seen no problems at my Bermudas triangle. Neither anywhere else, for that matter. I will not risk using this system in anything valuable or dangerous, but it works a lot better than FlySky. At least for me.
tilmanb

Post by tilmanb »

Rob Thomson wrote:This is why in many ways I love the slope soaring scene.

The nature of our flying is be default:

- quiet
- remote
- low impact
- distributed (different wind conditions mean different sites are used every day!)
- unregulated in most cases. common sense dictates the rules.

The nature of this sort of flying does not lend itself to clubs, and in most cases where clubs do exist - it is because they also have a flat field site. (few and far between)

What I can say from my experience here in the UK. There may be no club - but there is an incredible comradeship/team spirit. Superb really :-)
I was not into flying while I still lived in Germany. But from what I know they have the club problem just as bad as you could imagine.
We slopers here in UK can really thank the national trust. Without them we would have to form clubs as well and negotiate with land owners.

Apparently all nature reserves are strict no fly zones as well.

Every time I research about flying sites in places I might want to fly in Germany I just get angry and forget about it fast.

I would love to be proven wrong. But so far German slope soaring sounds like as much fun as Stackenblochen. (Google it)

UK slope soaring might really be a special case.

And Germany is dead serious about clubs. :lol:

UK is not perfect. Everyone is anxious about liability and therefore people rather not let you fly on their land. I have never seen a society so scared about liability claims.
And then there is the national enclosure act. The distinctive English patchwork of land parcels might look pretty, but it's damn hard to find good sized patches of land.
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

tilmanb wrote:I would love to be proven wrong. But so far German slope soaring sounds like as much fun as Stackenblochen. (Google it)
Hmm. Yes I see what you mean about Stackenblochen ----> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqAdxN1IWQQ

Flying in and around where I happen to be isn't easy and it is getting harder to find sites, as new housing estates are being built on and around good flying sites. Noise is a big issue, and I do feel that flying internal combustion engined models is not acceptable in its present form as noise pollution is now a sensitive issue and the present noise guidelines are far too high IMO. The operation of some powerful 3D electric helicopters is also a problem with relation to noise levels.

As for clubs.. Yup.. We have one particular club down here that I'm aware of, that has tight limits on membership numbers. To get in is by invitation only and some sort of initiation ceremony has to be undergone.
G550Ted

Post by G550Ted »

Flaps 30 wrote:
tilmanb wrote:<snip>
As for clubs.. Yup.. We have one particular club down here that I'm aware of, that has tight limits on membership numbers. To get in is by invitation only and some sort of initiation ceremony has to be undergone.
I say old chap, it's not that much of a dust up about the ceremony. Merely a matter of a full moon, some libations, shaved cats, a brace of virgins, and a petition to Virgil (our chairman of the membership committee) is all that is required. As number 748 on our waiting list for membership you can be assured that your application is warmly received and will be considered in due course. :lol: :lol:

Virgil... errr... Ted
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

Happy to live and fly in Germany ... and not being a club member :D

Reinhard
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

In Grmany you are covered by insurance everywhere, as long as you ask the owner and he gives permission.
I'm happy to fly here and to be in my club.. I've made many friends. Last week when I finished building my wireless buddy box system a friend and I were flying my easystar together. I t was fun.
When I got into this club I was a bit afraid as my old club in Portugal was a total failure. One of the reasons was a lot of argueing mainly caused by two guys that had 2 different hobby shops and they dragged all the others to their s**t :(
Yes, my club has a limit of 50 people. There are only a couple of people that do the work. send letters, go to meetings, fight for our rights in court as it happened with my club. The hunters got p***ed off because they couldn't hunt at our field and took the club to court because of the noise.. You see, the little animals know that they are safe there and many stay there.. That field is a hunter's paradise :D but they are not allowed there :)
So, I do understand why they only accept a maximum of 50 people. Not by invitation by the way as far as I know.. I'm lucky to be one of them and that they had less than 50 members at the time..
The Boss there is a PITA sometimes :twisted: but he is a good friend and helps everybody all the time even if he moans about it.. funny :lol:

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

I just read this thread from start to finish. Very interesting to me in light of the recent history of my club. A president that can unilaterally make rules without a vote of a committee representing the club members is not a president. He is a dictator, plain and simple. Our committee is called a board of directors. Nothing may be done without the approval of the entire board. Each board member is responsible to represent the membership as a whole. This representative leadership has worked very well and once implemented our club flourished financially and with new members. Our 5 board members are elected for 5 year terms, one new Board member each year. Each elected officer is elected for one year and is also a voting member of the board. Nothing passes the board without a 2/3 majority vote. Last year we had a president that thought he was a dictator. He thought he was in charge of the board. He was removed from office.

I would hope that before a club banned any activity it was voted on by a representative group - such as a board of directors, and not a decision made by a few old codgers sitting around sipping beers.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

That's what I call Democracy.. ;)
Now let's teach our politicians how it works ;)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:

Return to “The Pickled Gnu (The Pub)”