no good signal from 9x

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
FriedOnion

no good signal from 9x

Post by FriedOnion »

Hi,
I am new to the world of RC and got a turnigy 9x and put er9x on it. I should have tested it before then, but I didn't, so I don't know how this problem started.

I tested my TX today, and it binds with both the original and HK-TR6A V2 RXs, but neither of them will work. After they are bound, neither of their lights turn on, which from what I read means that there is no connection between them. Does anyone know how to fix this (I am assuming that the default 4ch setup will work)

thanks

erazz
9x Developer

Re: no good signal from 9x

Post by erazz »

Hmmmm.... Not too familiar with the HK-TR6A.

How do you know you've successfully bound them? Also, have you any mixes defined? Is PPM defined correctly in your setup?
Z

BEWARE - WE ARE IN THE AIR!!!
What goes up... Should be controlled by a 9X!
cre8tiveleo

no good signal from 9x

Post by cre8tiveleo »

There might be something there, i tried to bind to a micro rx that is turnigy comp and it didn't work.

I have to wait till i get home to check this out though more thouroghly.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?1dek2r
Westy

Post by Westy »

Hi There.

Yep ... first check it is bound first

I had trouble with the same thing .... no light!!!! but bound, Turns out I never bound it properly.

I have made a video tutorial for it .... here it is

http://mikeysrc.com/rc-forum/showthread ... -6-channel

Basically for bind and complete the process:

1 Plug in ESC into any other port (Make sure the eatch (Black) is at flat end of the port and not at the label (sticker) end
2. PLug in bind jumper loop cable into BAT port
3. Power up ESC on your heli/Plan glider ....

3a Red LED in Rx will be flashing and your model ESC will be beeping its head off.

Now This is the important part
4. PRESS & HOLD THE BIND BUTTON ON Tx MODULE (AT BACK OF TX)
5. While doing 4.... power up TX

Light will go solid on Rx.

6. Release bind button.
7. Remove power to RX

Then .....

8. Turn off TX

To test.....
9. Power up TX (as you normally would for model flying)
10. power up RX (Light should be solid)

Crisis Averted ! ;)

then make sure you have at least a template loaded into your TX and you mixing channels should have something in them...... plug in a servo and see if it moves when you move your TX sticks.

hope this sorts out your dillema.
Cheers,
Westy
FriedOnion

Post by FriedOnion »

Thanks for replying so quickly guys
erazz wrote:Hmmmm.... Not too familiar with the HK-TR6A.

How do you know you've successfully bound them? Also, have you any mixes defined? Is PPM defined correctly in your setup?
I know that they are binding because when I turn on the TX while holding the bind button, the light stops flashing and is solid. I don't know what the PPM settings are meant to be, but mine are:
Proto PPM 6ch 300uSec
PPM FRLen 22.5msec

are those correct?

I have the standard RETA 4ch in my mixer
Westy wrote:Hi There.

Yep ... first check it is bound first

I had trouble with the same thing .... no light!!!! but bound, Turns out I never bound it properly.

I have made a video tutorial for it .... here it is

http://mikeysrc.com/rc-forum/showthread ... -6-channel

Basically for bind and complete the process:

1 Plug in ESC into any other port (Make sure the eatch (Black) is at flat end of the port and not at the label (sticker) end
2. PLug in bind jumper loop cable into BAT port
3. Power up ESC on your heli/Plan glider ....

3a Red LED in Rx will be flashing and your model ESC will be beeping its head off.

Now This is the important part
4. PRESS & HOLD THE BIND BUTTON ON Tx MODULE (AT BACK OF TX)
5. While doing 4.... power up TX

Light will go solid on Rx.

6. Release bind button.
7. Remove power to RX

Then .....

8. Turn off TX

To test.....
9. Power up TX (as you normally would for model flying)
10. power up RX (Light should be solid)

Crisis Averted ! ;)

then make sure you have at least a template loaded into your TX and you mixing channels should have something in them...... plug in a servo and see if it moves when you move your TX sticks.

hope this sorts out your dillema.
Cheers,
Westy
Thanks for that, but I tried your instructions and am still having the same problem.

Since It is not working on 2 different RXs, it either has to be the way I'm binding it, the TX or the powersupply (which I really doubt)

are there any settings that I need to change for this to work?

BTW. I was using a UBEC with 2 3v Lion cells as a power supply, and decided to try using a ESC. I have not got a proper electrical system yet for my Lipo, so hooked the ESC (its a HK SS 25 amp) up to the two end pins of the balance port with a breadboard. As soon as I plugged it in, smoke came out of the breadboard :o and the wires were very hot. I tried using another ESC and just put the two leads into the bullet connecters on the battery, it made a spark as well :o is the spark normal? I'm guessing not. I can't get a good reading on the resistance of either of the ESCs, it keeps going up (e.g. starts at 1k, then reaches the highest resistance of the setting ie. 20k

FriedOnion

Post by FriedOnion »

FriedOnion wrote: BTW. I was using a UBEC with 2 3v Lion cells as a power supply, and decided to try using a ESC. I have not got a proper electrical system yet for my Lipo, so hooked the ESC (its a HK SS 25 amp) up to the two end pins of the balance port with a breadboard. As soon as I plugged it in, smoke came out of the breadboard :o and the wires were very hot. I tried using another ESC and just put the two leads into the bullet connecters on the battery, it made a spark as well :o is the spark normal? I'm guessing not. I can't get a good reading on the resistance of either of the ESCs, it keeps going up (e.g. starts at 1k, then reaches the highest resistance of the setting ie. 20k
Ok I did some research and the spark is normal, i just got a bit freaked out by the smoke (there are burn marks on the balance plug :o I just assumed without a motor plugged in, it would not draw much current
wheelspinner20

Post by wheelspinner20 »

up to the two end pins of the balance port with a breadboard. As soon as I plugged it in, smoke came out of the breadboard and the wires were very hot. I tried using another ESC and just put the two leads into the bullet connecters on the battery
Can you post a pic of this setup?? something doesnt sound correct, mostly the spark and smoke part.... This might explain a problem with rx's...

Thanks.
no more quippy little latin phrases.! Its old
Westy

Post by Westy »

you have to plug at least 2 or the 2 motor leads in to get the ESC to work......

Do the Receivers flash fast when you fire up the RX with the ESC? if not ..... you have the polarity wrong
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

Westy wrote:you have to plug at least 2 or the 2 motor leads in to get the ESC to work......
May depend on ESC.

I'm successfully using an ESC as 5 Volt power source without attached motor.

Smoke is probably a sign of power attached with wrong polarity, frying some tantal capacitor and probably all three voltage regulators.

Binding is done with the rf module by its own, normal getting 'online' requires, that the main board delivers a ppm signal.

When binding seems to work, but with the tx normally powered on and the rx does not get 'online' (LED ON), that points to a missing PPM signal at the RF module. And this behaviour fits to the smoking Tx.

I assume, you fried the TX and have to do the well known repair as described in the wiki (I believe it's already there ?).

Reinhard
FriedOnion

Post by FriedOnion »

Westy wrote:you have to plug at least 2 or the 2 motor leads in to get the ESC to work......

Do the Receivers flash fast when you fire up the RX with the ESC? if not ..... you have the polarity wrong
I was not using the ESC as a power source when I was having problems, I was using a UBEC and the light would flash quickly when connected. I should make it clear that the smoke didn't come out of the ESC and had nothing to do with the TX, but out of the breadboard, but that doesn't mean that the ESC works properly, although from what I have read, it is normal for their to be a spark because of the capacitors charging. As far as I know, i have fried nothing in the TX, I was using it with a simulator a few days ago, so the PPM should be working. Even if the polarity was reversed, that shouldn't matter since I soldered a diode inside the TX between the battery and motherboard (this shouldn't be a problem should it? I know that it will lower the voltage by 0.7v, but the TX says 7.4v, which is well above 5v.)

thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate it, I'm going to try binding again now, hopefully it will work :)
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The voltage regulator used on the 9x typically needs around 2 volts 'headroom', so the lowest you should let the supply drop is around 7 volts.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
FriedOnion

Resolved :)

Post by FriedOnion »

Well I managed to fix it, turns out it was a bad solder when I did the trainer fix. I assumed that because it would bind, all the connections to the module where fine :shock:
ReSt wrote:that points to a missing PPM signal at the RF module.
Thanks for saying that, that is what lead me to check that solder

Also, thanks for everyone's help, this is very good community in this forum

Return to “Hardware”