Anylink install for 9x transmitters

General mods that are considered worth doing; regardless of the end firmware you use.
cre8tiveleo

Anylink install for 9x transmitters

Post by cre8tiveleo »

WIKI!

So I bought a wonderful Albi from Flyzone. It came with the Tactic Anylink, kind of cool.

I opened everything up, and plugged in the spektrum cable that it came with (it plugs into the trainer port and the power lead plugs into the power plug), it also came with a futaba square plug too.

And, nothing. I decided to read the instructions, found out that I need to buy a $15+ cable that has a life battery attached to it for it to work. Whut, I wasn't about to pay more for something that was free.

Looking at the Anylink connector, it's a standard Futaba servo lead. Thought a bit, so it should be Signal, vcc and grnd, why not.

I found a servo extension and donated it to the cause.

Cut one end off, stripped and tinned the ends.

You can tuck the cable into the back or if you want (I'm going to do this later) , use a connector and plug it into the pins in the back. (top pin is the ppm signal, then just attach to +5v and gnd)

This is where I tucked the cable through, I removed the stock tx module, along with the antenna lead, so there is a perfect hole to use.

Pops out the other side here.

Solder the ground cable (brown or black) to a common ground.

Vcc (red wire) to +5 source.

Solder the ppm wire (orange or white) to the ppm in the radio. (I used the spot where I soldered the DSM2 module to)

VOILA, replace the empty module, pulling the cable carefully and tucking it in, use a piece of velcro, attach the servo lead into the Anylink.

Powerup your radio, and you'll here the Anylink CHIRP! Success!

Now you can store your model settings for each tactic Anylink compatible model. Nice.

Just make sure you have ppm 8 set in your model setup and you're golden.
Now you can assign channels and make mixes for throttle and elevator, and do things that you couldn't normally do with just anylink.

AND... since we're not using the trainer port... you can buddy box and use the Anylink model as a trainer model. SWEET. You couldn't do that originally with any other radio, due to the fact Anylink normally plugs into the trainer port.
Last edited by cre8tiveleo on Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Re: Anylink install for 9x transmitters

Post by Rob Thomson »

This is great stuff..

Now go copy paste it into the wiki!

:-)
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Thanks!

Yup yup, the nice thing about this little modification, you can attach any module that only requires ppm, vcc or 5v and ground to work. Any of the diy modules found on Rcgroups. :D
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Nice :-)
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!

c3ajeff

Post by c3ajeff »

So.... assuming you have updated your firmware.... let's say you WERE using the training port for the AnyLink. Wouldn't you be able to assign the OTHER 8 channels to it? Effectively you would then have up to a 16 channel system if you had an 8 channel Turnigy/FlySky Rcvr, and then an AnyLink in the Trainer port set to PPM signals 8-16? This way you wouldn't have to have another whole sloppy receiver tethered to get those additional (up to) 8 channels. This seems feasable to me. Am I crazy?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Nope, that would work!
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Essentially - any PPM transmitter module will work.. so happily each could run a different RF stage.
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Yup, and Yup.
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

With another male servo connector you could have just plugged it onto the module bay pins. You would have to switch the + and - wires on the module bay7 end as the pins (starting at the top) are PPM, Gnd, V+.
-Gohst
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Yes, you could have.
spagoziak

Post by spagoziak »

This is super handy! Could I do this with the Frsky DIY transmitter module already installed? Mine is attached to the controller as described above already, so would soldering another transmitter (in this case, AnyLink) to the same pins create contention or otherwise cause issues?
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

I have my radio set up with a double pole double throw(DPDT) switch. This allows me to select either the internal DHT or the module bay. It's pretty simple to do really. On the back board inside the radio, the one with the module pins on it. Cut the PPM and V+ tracks going to the module pins. Then solder a couple of wires from the connector side of those tracks to the common points of your DPDT switch. Remember there are 2 sides to the switch 1 for PPM and the other for V+. Then from one side of the switch solder wires from there to the module pins side of the cut tracks. Finally your DHT PPM and V+ wires connect to the other side of the switch. Find a place to mount the switch where you can get to it, and you can switch between modules. This saves the power consumption, and possible interference of the second module transmitting so close to the first one.
-Gohst
spagoziak

Post by spagoziak »

Thank you! Do you have any pictures of this process? Track cutting sounds like it could go horribly wrong if I pick the wrong ones lol

gohsthb wrote:I have my radio set up with a double pole double throw(DPDT) switch. This allows me to select either the internal DHT or the module bay. It's pretty simple to do really. On the back board inside the radio, the one with the module pins on it. Cut the PPM and V+ tracks going to the module pins. Then solder a couple of wires from the connector side of those tracks to the common points of your DPDT switch. Remember there are 2 sides to the switch 1 for PPM and the other for V+. Then from one side of the switch solder wires from there to the module pins side of the cut tracks. Finally your DHT PPM and V+ wires connect to the other side of the switch. Find a place to mount the switch where you can get to it, and you can switch between modules. This saves the power consumption, and possible interference of the second module transmitting so close to the first one.
-Gohst

Return to “Electronic Mods”