Oh oh, my newly modded radio has no display output

General mods that are considered worth doing; regardless of the end firmware you use.
tilmanb

Oh oh, my newly modded radio has no display output

Post by tilmanb »

I just finished my new radio. In true hacker fashion I took it apart straight out of the box. I never even bothered to check if it worked before I modded it.
I guess I should have. Because now I'm not getting any display output. The display is ok, I tested with a known good one and that also did not work.

I did the programmer mod and FrSky telemetry mod.
The programmer worked. I was able to read and write the firmware.
The FrSky mod is so far only moving those buttons over to the other pin with the resistors. The TX and RX ports are as of yet unconnected. (Missing the TTL level converter still)
I unsoldered the FrSky mod cables because they are the only mod that is kind of hit and miss with those little pins on the MCU.

I think the radio works fine otherwise. It beeps when I switch it on.

Any idea what I could have busted? Any easy things to test?
I had all the peripheral boards off and put them back in. But I can't see much going wrong here.

I have a oscilloscope and multimeter to do testing...

Kilrah

Re: Oh oh, my newly modded radio has no display output

Post by Kilrah »

Hmm, a good place to start would be to check all MCU pins and the LCD connector are properly soldered. Check the LCD voltage supply too.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Is the radio that beeps, or is it the frsky module beeping? also does it move servos when you connect a receiver?
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
tilmanb

Post by tilmanb »

Ok, it can't be completely dead. I'm measuring PPM pulses on the PPM output and I get 'data' on all (most) of those test points in between that row of resistors.
I measure 3.3v on pin 2 of the LCD connector. The first pin (left) seems unconnected.
However, I measure no signal on any side of those capacitors(?) directly under the display port.

I had lifted one o those pins where the buttons got moved with my wire. But that was when I de-soldered it to check the joint and I got it soldered back on.
Apart from that I can see no issues with the soldering. Especially not towards the LCD port.
tilmanb

Post by tilmanb »

I did not test with a radio module connected. But I guess the fact that I got PPM pulses after I acknowledged the switch error beep says it all.

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

ahh ok.. If you have PPM then the radio must be working. Try applying gentle pressure on the CPU, there were cases of unsoldered pins lately.. Also make sure the LCD ribbon is seated properly and the LCD connector is locked.
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
tilmanb

Post by tilmanb »

The soldering of the CPU looks spotless. Also tried pressure.
Also the soldering of the display port. And I verified with my mates radio that the position of the display port is correct and that I also see no signals on the display port pins. (have to figure out what I do wrong there with my oscilloscope)
It's really weird because the none of the display stuff is in any way directly related to my other mods. I mean really, I just touched the SPI pins on that board and the frsky pin swap. The display stuff is on different ports.

One pretty stupid idea. Could it be that the display comes up with zero contrast? I suppose there is a analog pin for that, does anyone know which?
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Assuming the firmware you loaded onto your TX was/is Er9x. You could read back from the radio the information regarding the general settings. In setup you will find the contrast setting. I use a setting of 26 and that gives a reasonable contrast.
tilmanb

Post by tilmanb »

it's open9x
kaos

Post by kaos »

That happened to me just like you described, only I had a blank lighted screen, it turns out it is the stupid LCD ribbon is not fully seated. ;) that thing rocks like a boat if not seated with both ends together.
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

tilmanb wrote:it's open9x
Same applies. :)
tilmanb

Post by tilmanb »

If I had the schematics I could perhaps better understand where and how to trace the signals and probe for connectivity. I'm pretty sure all the solder points and connectors are well seated, it must be more subtle.
I will also try to read the contrast setting from eprom. But now I'm stuck at work first. :/
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
tilmanb

Post by tilmanb »

Thanks. That is actually very helpful. Also for other stuff I'm working on.

Return to “Electronic Mods”