FrSky Telemetry Hardware mod help

All mods related to the frsky telemetry series of the firmware
sporez

Post by sporez »

Hi all,

Big fan of ER9x. It is simply amazing. I'm also liking the new forums, thanks for setting them up Rob.

Currently I'm just running my 9x with the stock Flysky tx and rx however I'm very interested in FrSky's telemetry as a future upgrade. After doing quite a bit of reading it appears that the hardware mods necessary to output the telemetry info on the 9x display are rather advanced. My soldering skills are definitely not up to it right now, however what I would like to know is:
  • What soldering equipment is needed for the mod? (currently I just have a cheap 30W iron)
  • Techniques, etc for advanced things like soldering to the processor's delicate pins.
  • any other tips that you can provide
It's easy to find junk circuit boards lying around that I could practice on, to improve my skills, but I just don't know where to begin. Thanks for taking the time to read this, I hope it can also be of help to others in my same position. :)

Daedalus66

Re: FrSky Telemetry Hardware mod help

Post by Daedalus66 »

sporez wrote:
  • What soldering equipment is needed for the mod? (currently I just have a cheap 30W iron)
  • Techniques, etc for advanced things like soldering to the processor's delicate pins.
It's easy to find junk circuit boards lying around that I could practice on, to improve my skills, but I just don't know where to begin. Thanks for taking the time to read this, I hope it can also be of help to others in my same position. :)
There's a been whole lot of discussion on this subject in just the past 3-4 weeks on the old thread at RCGroups. Plenty of specific advice. Here's one recent entry, but if you search that thread for "soldering" you'll find just the sort of thing you need.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... ount=14950
wheelspinner20

Post by wheelspinner20 »

It's easy to find junk circuit boards lying around that I could practice on, to improve my skills, but I just don't know where to begin
In fact, there is a RCGroups member named hooleydog that is selling a 9x unit for $50 shipped without a module. So that would be a great way to practice on a board, and then have spare everything (switches break easy, ask me how I know)

Then, if you scrap that board out, you have a perfect chasis to drop in the new ersky board! Oh man, I'm jelous!

Pat
no more quippy little latin phrases.! Its old
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Daedalus66 wrote:
sporez wrote:
There's a been whole lot of discussion on this subject in just the past 3-4 weeks on the old thread at RCGroups. Plenty of specific advice. Here's one recent entry, but if you search that thread for "soldering" you'll find just the sort of thing you need.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... ount=14950
It will be worth this all being pulled over to the new forum. Lots of good stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
GrootWitbaas

Post by GrootWitbaas »

I'm quoting the post by SM here, and will start working on the list. Ideas is welcome.

This is not exactly the right place for it but for now I will try and work on placing it in the right places as I go along. Feel free to go ahead and do it, It might take me a while to get it all done :)
"I want to upgrade to er9x"
Usually how we all get, and I got, to this thread and then the questions start. What may help?
Break it down to links covering the stages that one will go through to mod their radio to the level they want.

* Done, Here and Here * First should be a beginners option covering the various options for programming er9x. The Smartieparts board being first as it requires no soldering to get it and a backlight working. There are writeup links and driver links that are available. Also important is finding out if you have a v1 or v2 board right off.

* Done Here *Next would be installing eepe and it's driver for XP or W7 and get eepe working.

If it all works and programs the mods options would be next. (if not go here for SP Board and here for EL backlight)

Next would be the solder in programming options links to how to's.
At the same time links to how to solder in general.
Recommendations for irons, iron tips, and solder with prices and sources would help a lot here. Low cost useful irons being important!

Next is links to the useful utube videos already done showing how to solder to the 9x pads.
Soldering is where most damage their working board.

Again after programming and eepe is working comes the speaker and telemetry mods. Again where most damage their boards.

The HK BL wrong jumper fix and FET switch mod requiring soldering comes in about now if wanted.

The rs232 to TTL converter circuit options should be covers about now. Build it with transistors or convert a max232 board or Frsky lite board and how to do it.

Somewhere around now would be the trainer level converter circuit build and install for other brand TX's trainer comparability.

Battery options should also be decided on and links to installations provided in order of user preference.

Next is how to install the Frsky DIY or DHT modules and how to connect them to the 9X as well as internal telemetry interfacing if that's the goal instead of an external plugin display.

Any antenna options will need to be mentioned about now.

* Done Here for now * If organized well and one gets this far with everything working, using eepe and mixes comes next.
This is where everyone will eventually end up spending most of our time.

If my ideas here have merit, then most of the info is here on the thread now. We just have to update the first page of the thread to reflect the steps in such an order that any skill level can pick a place to start and go through the stages to a "successful" completion of a fully working er9x system.

Feel free to comment or rearrange the steps order.

Think of how you would teach someone new with limited circuit and soldering knowledge to install er9x and then upgrade to all the latest options. Next teach them to use eepe and write mixes. That's what we all have done and learned by or success and failures.

I was asked at my club to make a presentation on how to do a full upgrade. If I do I'm sure it will start something that will keep busy repairing boards so I may make a video presentation on soldering at a meeting first. Anyone know how to capture utube videos do I can put together a short important soldering video? No Internet at the meeting place. Any good soldering videos I can download will do.
SM
Groot
General trouble maker and wannabee Dev

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Good work!
Thank you for using my list as a basis for your detailed one.
If it's OK, I'll use it with your name credit when I give my club presentation.
Actually I'm going to refer this and rcg as a must read/join if they actually follow through and modify their 9x.
In reading rcg's latest posts it looks like the V1 boards are causing more boards to have the SMD resistors dustroyed just to use the SP board. This makes me think that soldering and a good inexpensive soldering iron low wattage, should be #1 on the list. In the past installing a SP board on a V2 board was easy except for cleaning the pads or tightening the screws, and you were ready for er9x. With V1 boards even this is a challenge for the newbe.
Maybe someone that just installed a SP board on a V1 board that's a first time solderer that was successful will post a how to? We need some input at that level of skills to refine the "how to not" destroy the 9x board when soldering to it.
I hope this post is in line with this new forums guide lines? If not I can amend it or move it so please let me know.
SM
GrootWitbaas

Post by GrootWitbaas »

I'd love to get my hands on a V1 board, just to do the mod and make a video and some pictures on how to do it right. Problem is both radio's I have is V2. If any one in the EU has a V1 I'll do the mod for them free of charge, They just need to pay for the shipping.

O and Thanks that I could use your list :)

As soon as I have some spare time I'll work on getting it done. I also want to make a small video about basic soldering on the 9x, but are waiting for my DIY frsky to ship from HK. Once it is here I will work on that.
General trouble maker and wannabee Dev

Return to “FRSky Telemetry Mods”