SmartieParts firmware source code

Everything about the smartie programmer and backlight kit!
rperkins

SmartieParts firmware source code

Post by rperkins »

Hello.
In a discussion about the various usbasp firmwares and the need to remove the capacitor from the reset line got me wondering about the SP.

Does the SP use open source firmware based on http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/ ?

If so I am inquiring about which revision is used and if there is a derivative source available.

I did not see any mention of the firmware used at http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/index. ... cts_id=331

Thanks.
I am searching for the best open source firmware to put on usbasp devices.

gohsthb

Re: SmartieParts firmware source code

Post by gohsthb »

Oddly I had to put the reset capacitor back in with my 2.3 smartie board. It would not allow the radio to start, the backlight would flash until I touched the rst spot on the board.
-Gohst

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking inverter till I read that the latest revision doesnt utilize an inverter. So it was a HK led backlight then? Hmmm. Strange but interesting. I guess it could have to do with how the SP 2.3 toggles the reset upon power up. I really dont know anything about the SP except that it uses an implementation of usbasp, hence the question about the source code.

Do you know if the SP uses open source firmware or does it use a home rolled usbasp implementation ? I see discussion on the telemetrEZ firmware, but nothing on the SP.

thanks
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

I know it is an open source version that Steven uses. I don't know which one. It might be best to send him an email, I don't know how much he digs into these forums.
-Gohst

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Thanks. I appreciate the response.

rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Cool. I found a pic in the installation section for SP that shows some text regarding the use of open source firmware. http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/index. ... =page&id=9

I pm'ed Steven . Hopefully when he gets a chance he'll clarify what source he is using and provide his source if it is a derivative. More than likely he already has the source , or a link to it, posted on the website and I just have overlooked it.

looks like an atmega8 :) -- oops , bad eyes. It's a 48 a Steven says below
Last edited by rperkins on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

Mine have atmega48's. I copied the hex from my 2.1 board. It doesn't match any of the version available from fischl.de.
-Gohst
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Then you didn't copy it right :)

The firmware on the SmartieParts board, as suggested by the bit written on it that says "OpenSource USBasp code at http://www.fischl.de, is a 100% unaltered copy of the original firmware. In fact, I don't even compile it myself. I use the hex that comes with the zipped download. The SP chip is a 48, though it is a commercially-available-only variant (exact same but the signature is different than any you can get at low quantity). I use the 2009 version of the firmware since the newest version has known bugs, plus we simply don't need TPI support that is added in the latest version. As well its been proven very stable. Earlier versions, which are present on most common/generic USBasps, won't allow you to set the SCK period (-B switch) so you can't operate at full speed.

Hope that helps.

- Steven
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Thanks for your quick follow up. I'm starting to feel like a salmon swimming upstream concerning 2009/2011. I did some testing once, but now feel like i need to do more.
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

If your target audience are 9x/9xr users... then don't bother with the 2011 code.
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

The 2011-05-28 download doesn't include a 2011 version in the precompiled binaries. It only includes a 2009 version, so I guess that tells you something too. And the reason my checks weren't coming back correct is because my avrdude read the hex to 20 byte long lines, the compiled versions are in 10 byte long strings. Running Avrdude in verify mode, it does show that 2009 matches what is programmed on the chip.
-Gohst
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

gohsthb wrote:. And the reason my checks weren't coming back correct is because my avrdude read the hex to 20 byte long lines, the compiled versions are in 10 byte long strings.
-Gohst
Ran into that before. the 0x20 vs 0x10 byte line length of ihex file. I was gonna bet your bits didnt line up was because a different compiler, but glad you got it figured out. Even when checking the provided binary (m8) of the 2011 vs my own compiled 2011 they were slightly different. was blaming that on the 'PROGMEM' as a constant issue the latest ?compiler? threw up. Then I remembered utilizing a newer version of vusb to get around that issue. eventually just reflashed the thing and made sure to verify against the same file.

Ran into the verification thing while working on a little project. a stand alone usbasp reflasher. No computer required. battery powered. plug in target. hit button. it reflashes open source usbasp to target. beeps sweetly on a pass or nastily on a fail . remove and repeat. repeat.repeat . but i digress

Thanks for taking the time to help me and to Steven again for his prompt response
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

I could have used that with a previous project of mine! while it only took 6 to 10 seconds to flash each one... times that by 10 thousand... my fingers were sore and I literally wore the space bar out on my laptop.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

gohsthb wrote:The 2011-05-28 download doesn't include a 2011 version in the precompiled binaries. It only includes a 2009 version, so I guess that tells you something too.
-Gohst
that is a true statement for the atmega48 only. There are 2011 compiled versions for a m8 and m88 in the 2011 tarball. So that would tell me that something is unique to the 48 that the 2011 version has exposed and may need a little massaging. ?bootloader?lockbits?extfusebit0.?

Code: Select all

rperkins@htpc ~/src/usbasp/usbasp.2011-05-28/bin/firmware $ ls -l
total 56
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rperkins rperkins   247 May 28  2011 Makefile
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rperkins rperkins   249 Aug  4  2010 Makefile48
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rperkins rperkins   257 May 28  2011 Makefile88
-rw-r--r-- 1 rperkins rperkins 10830 Feb 28  2009 usbasp.atmega48.2009-02-28.hex
-rw-r--r-- 1 rperkins rperkins 13248 May 28  2011 usbasp.atmega8.2011-05-28.hex
-rw-r--r-- 1 rperkins rperkins 13293 May 28  2011 usbasp.atmega88.2011-05-28.hex
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

s_mack wrote:I could have used that with a previous project of mine!
when it's finished I'll document it on this forum. This post is where I reached out initially.
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic ... 07835.html
I'm working on the led's, buzzer, battery circuit, and buttons now.

my main goal was to be sure that the exact same firmware and fuses went on every device.
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

The 2011 version doesn't actually support the M48, just the 8 and 88 due to increased flash requirements to hold the TPI routine. I'm not going to dig it up now, but I read on one of the AVR forums about bugs with the 2011 version. It had to do with having to unplug the device in between operations in some circumstance, but I don't recall the specifics. Since we didn't need (and can't even use) TPI for the 9x's chip... and since the SP board is specifically and only designed for that use... I saw absolutely no reason to bother with the 2011 version.... even though the 88 is now a cheaper chip (in volume) than the 48, I'm sticking with what I know works until there's some reason to change.
Sandro

Post by Sandro »

Bonjour à tous, depuis que j'ai upgrader ma Open 9x avec la carte version 2.4, le rétro éclairage ne fonctionne plus. Est-ce que quelqu'un peux m'aider SVP.
Merci d'avance Sandro
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Le rétroéclairage est-il bien branché sur la carte SP, et as-tu bien coché "sp22" dans les options du firmware?
Sandro

Post by Sandro »

Bonjour Kilrah,
oui j'ai sélectionné le paramètre "SP22" et voici le firmware chargé: "opentx-stock-telemetrez-heli-templates-DSM2-ppmca-sp22-autosource-autoswitch-en-r2491"

Merci pour les réponses
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Question con, mais dans les réglages radio le rétroéclairage est bien activé?
Sandro

Post by Sandro »

Le paramètre backlitgh Mode est sur ON
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Et si tu essaies sur OFF?
Si ça change rien, je serais pour dire que le contact entre la carte SP et la carte de la 9x se fait mal, que le rétroéclairage est mal branché à la carte SP, ou qu'il est grillé.
Sandro

Post by Sandro »

Si je mets sur OFF c'est la même chose, je vais donc re-démonter la radio et contrôler les 2 fils d'alim.
Merci encore et à bientôt.

Return to “SMARTIEPARTS PROGRAMMER”