HELP!!! cannot flash with usbasp

volumax

HELP!!! cannot flash with usbasp

Post by volumax »

I get this message when I hit Read EEPROM...

=================================================================================
Started AVRDUDE
C:/Program Files/eePe/avrdude.exe -c usbasp -p m64 -U eeprom:r:C:/Users/DR49E2~1.LES/AppData/Local/Temp/temp.hex:i
=================================================================================

avrdude.exe: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude.exe: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1
avrdude.exe: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

avrdude.exe done. Thank you.

AVRDUDE done - exit code 1

Any solutions?
Attachments
IMG-20130220-00709.jpg
IMG-20130220-00711.jpg

Kilrah

Re: HELP!!! cannot flash with usbasp

Post by Kilrah »

Which usbasp is it? Is the radio powered on? Are you sure of all the connections between the usbasp and the radio?
volumax

Post by volumax »

Hello, I have this programmer http://www.ebay.com/itm/USBASP-USB-AVR- ... 2318c6b240.

How do I check the connection from the usb to the radio? All I see is when I connect them together the radio turns on, I dont power it up I let the usbasp power it.
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

Remove the capacitor from the reset line. It is the yellow/orange block under the crystal (silver can on the right) in your second picture. And check that the red wire doesn't touch the end pin of the processor, it looks very close in the picture. It could also be the programmer can't supply enough power to the 9x for programming. You should disable the power from the programmer, and then just turn the radio on when you want to program. I would start by removing the capacitor and checking the red wire. If that doesn't work then work on the programmer power.
-Gohst
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

A few things to try.
First is to make sure you have a v2 tx board and you have the pad on pin 11 connected and no shorts or bridged solder points. Green checkmark is the correct v2 pin pad.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361370935.045940.jpg
Next make sure you've verified that all your programmer wires are going to the correct places. This is a v1 board with the correct pin 11 pad circled.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361371196.605198.jpg
Finally what OS are you using and if windows does it show up in device manager and what port number?
Make sure your program knows this info.
This eBay programmer has many hardware and firmware versions out there. The HK one works every time FYI for others reading this and not yet ordered a programmer.
The common issue that keeps this programmer from working is the value of the micro resistor pack in the bottom right corner of the USB connector is on the left.

What value is written on the pack. It could read 101 (100 ohms) or 200 (200ohms) and may be the trouble.
I had to jumper out this pack with shorts to get mine to work every time. Before that it was hit and miss. They are current protection resistors but many eliminate them. The HK has no resistors and work!
Many remove the 9X board cap on the reset line to get this programmer to work. I've never had to do that on my 8 conversions so far using the HK or this one with the jumped resistor pack leads.
The reset cap is below the crystal on the picture. Ignore the backlight labke on pin17.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361372346.422798.jpg
What voltage do you display on your 9x screen with your tx off and the programmer connected to USB?
It should be 3.8-4V at least to program. I had on my programmer board a wrong resistor in place of the one marked FI.
My tx board was only getting 2 volts from the programmer when connected. I jumped the resistor and got 4 volts again. This programmer is a c**p shoot, some work, others need help because of wrong parts I've found.
The one on the left is my reworked jumped one that works every time.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361373132.024572.jpg
Hope this helps you find a fix.
SM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.

ReSt

Post by ReSt »

ShowMaster wrote: What voltage do you display on your 9x screen with your tx off and the programmer connected to USB?
It should be 3.8-4V at least to program. I had on my programmer board a wrong resistor in place of the one marked FI.
This voltage display is not necessarily required.
I'm just recognizing in several threads, that ist is stated, the display must turn on with radio powered off and programmer connected.

This is not a must be.

I have one radio where the display stays blank and no beeps when the USB programmer is connected and it can be flashed without any problems. This behaviour started when I added the voice modification.

Reinhard
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Yes not a must but for many it does display. My point here is that the eBay programmer or any programmer if it supplies the m64 power must be in the high 3v to 4+ volt range or the64 won't work. In the several I've repaired if it does display, and is low 3v or 2's I suspect the programmer or USB power issues. One was a very lossy USB cable from the computer, a thin cheap eBay one that dropped too much voltage under load. Another was a bad USB port on his computer. I usually use a powered USB hub on the bench and so far my netbook has been solid when loaded and a good USB cable is used.
I mentioned the screen voltage display as a visual tool of it does display to tell you your 5 volts rail in the 9x is high enough to power the m64. A lot easier then guessing it's ok when nothing is programming and your tx case is closed.
You're correct, it doesn't have to display to work but it does display for most non voice users.
SM

Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

ReSt wrote:I have one radio where the display stays blank and no beeps when the USB programmer is connected and it can be flashed without any problems. This behaviour started when I added the voice modification.
Had the same happen to me. This was related to where I took the +V to supply the voice card. Originally the take off point was from the same connector that supplied the RF module. The fix for it, was to take the supply from another point which was pin 5 (counting from the left) of the connector that connected the back PCB to the main PCB, which if I remember correctly was a supply line that always had +Volts on it when the TX was on or the trainer port was used. In theory it shouldn't have fixed the blank display while programming (or using the trainer port) but it did.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I just connected one of those chineese programmers to the radio that I'm currentlly running open9x and the radio didn't pass the splash screen because it was always rebooting.. maybe not enough power? I normally power the radio with it's own battery. will disable the power on that programmer..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

the one he got from ebay probably has the 220 ohm resistors in it. Showmaster put up a picture but you'd have to know what you are looking at to notice the difference.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2490
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

Flaps 30 wrote: Had the same happen to me. This was related to where I took the +V to supply the voice card. Originally the take off point was from the same connector that supplied the RF module. The fix for it, was to take the supply from another point which was pin 5 (counting from the left) of the connector that connected the back PCB to the main PCB, which if I remember correctly was a supply line that always had +Volts on it when the TX was on or the trainer port was used. .
Just checked from where I took the power for the voice module.
I get + voltage directly from the active side of the main switch and ground immediately beneath from the ground plane where I scratched off a little bit of the green color.
But as long as I don't have any problem while flashing, I will leave it as it is in the moment.

Reinhard
volumax

Post by volumax »

Hey ShowMaster I have a v2 board. I am getting 4.5v from the usbasp. I see on my programmer a 221 resistor. I have also read a few people saying they got it to work after shortening the programmer cable. Mine is 26 inches long, has cutting this down helped anyone here?
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

221 = 220 ohms . Those have not been working very well. It's not really the programmers fault. It's a combination of the fact the 9x was not designed to be reprogrammed in the field combined with the value of the resistor pack in the programmer. I linked to a post above that shows how to remove the resistor pack. Let us know if it works shortening it down as that would be another way to fix it. I wouldnt plan on it working though. The good news is that you have found your problem.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

As Rperkins said said, 221,( 220 ohms) is to high a value. Be careful, the one I fixed had 220 ohm resistors and it bricked the previous owners 9x.
As for making the cable shorter I've never worried. I cut it off so that when soldered onto the m64 it can live in the battery compartment and have about 3 inches to pull out for programming. Maybe 7 inches.
As I said, I only used the HK USBasp programmer and because it worked every time in so many 9x's.
It may be that with 200 ohm series resistors the cable has to be much shorter as well as removing the reset cap. I've programmed my 9XR with the full length uncut flat HK cable and the cap is installed, stock as delivered.
After shorting out the resistors on the the eBay one it too works using a long cable on the 9XR.
SM

volumax

Post by volumax »

Hey guys a little update, a friend lent me his hk programmer and everything worked fine radio is running open9x right now, thanks for the help!
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

That's been my experience. I believe it's no having any series resistors that makes it work so well. No reset cap removal or flat cable length issue.
There is a concern that without these resistors the HK programmer used on other programming project may cause damage. I'm about making an online cable that has the resistors added. This way I can switch cables depending on the application.
So far I can't fault the HK programmer when used with the 9x and 9Xr.
I believe replacing the series resistors with jumper wires on the other brand programmers may be the way to go.
As always, at your own risk.
SM

Return to “PROGRAMMERS”