Need help Setting Pots for Heli

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
LowThudd

Need help Setting Pots for Heli

Post by LowThudd »

Hello. I have a Storm 450 heli and I am a little confused on how to set up the pots and an idle switch, to match the Storm Tx. I used the Companion template for settup, and it seems to work well, except for the Gyro sensitivity, Pitch and idle switch. Basically I would like to set up P1 as the Gyro knob. The Gyro has ch5 as the signal and ch4 for the Gyro. How do I set that up? Channel 6 is the pitch Aileon, ch1 is the other Aileon(according to the Storm manual). How do I set that up. And lastly, How do I set up an Idle switch like the Storm controller has?

gohsthb

Re: Need help Setting Pots for Heli

Post by gohsthb »

Do you have a link to a manual for this Storm controller. I'm not familiar with that heli at all.
-Gohst
LowThudd

Post by LowThudd »

gohsthb wrote:Do you have a link to a manual for this Storm controller. I'm not familiar with that heli at all.
-Gohst
http://www.helipal.com/images/Storm-tra ... manual.pdf
Thanks
kaos

Post by kaos »

double posts, deleted
Last edited by kaos on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
kaos

Post by kaos »

that storm controller program looks exactly the same as the CT6A I used to use. I think it is either a CT6A or CT6B clone. Open9x or er9x heli set up would be quite different.
check this topic and the whole thread is about open9x/er9x heli set up: viewtopic.php?f=57&t=510
I have written up a step by step thing with er9x. open9x is close but not exactly the same. After you read that thread still have problem. Ask me to send it to you. It is a conceptual thing. er9x/open9x is quite different from most Tx for heli set up on the market.

ghosthb is an expert with er9x/open9x helisetup. He is one of the few flies heli with er9x/open9x.

gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

Ok start with this model file. I copied some of what your old heli transmitter was like. You will find the pot on the front left of the radio controls gyro gain. The manual makes no mention about the gyro type. Most gyros have 2 modes 'heading hold' and 'rate mode'. Typical gyros use center as a dividing line between the 2 modes. So the gear switch is set to switch between the 2 modes, and the pot controls ho much gain. Which will be the same for both modes. You can use the throttle trim switch, for controlling the pitch trim. The Throttle switch is the throttle hold/kill switch. I also made this sticky. This means that once you enable the throttle hold, you can't unenable it without being in normal mode ID0 switch on, and have the throttle all the way down. This prevents unintended full throttle starts if you had the mode switch in idle up. The 3 position switch handles the flight modes. You have 3, ID0 is normal mode, use this mode to start the motor, and for upright hovering and basic flying around. You then have 2 idle up modes, these allow full + to - pitch range control, normal mode only goes to -3 degrees, and the motor will increase power below half stick, instead of decreasing. These modes allow for full aerobatic or 3D flight. The only difference between the 2 modes is ID2 has a little higher throttle curve. Of course you will have to check the directions of all of your flight controls, and do all of the centering required for a heli. Also you will need to set the throttle curves for your desired head speed.

-Gohst
Attachments
StormHeli.eepm
(1.1 KiB) Downloaded 271 times
LowThudd

Post by LowThudd »

Thanks for all your work, but I cannot get the file to load properly in companion. It opens as a blank file. What am I doing wrong?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

companion9x doesn't support the "single model" eepm files.
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

You need eepe.
-Gohst
LowThudd

Post by LowThudd »

I was told not to use eepe with Open9x. Is this not the case? I would rather keep Open9x.
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

My model is in eepe on Er9x.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

gohsthb wrote:You need eepe.
-Gohst
Or you need to post a .eepe file so he can read the file in c9x, and thus convert it to the open9x format he needs ;)

Of course be sure to check the settings carefully when doing a conversion between the 2 firmwares.
LowThudd

Post by LowThudd »

I was able to use eepe to save it as a hex file, then opened it in companion and copied pasted to my current hex file. Seems that the settings are correct. I'll give it a try when the rain quits. lol

Thanks again!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Well, it would be nice if companion would save models on a single file as well, right? ;)
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
LowThudd

Post by LowThudd »

Very true jhsa. But it is quite easy to save a single model to a hex file, then copy and past it to another hex file.

Anyway, this setup seems like it will work well. Seems to function very well, probably better than the Storm Tx setting. I can't take it outside yet, but everything seems to work great!
LowThudd

Post by LowThudd »

Note: I did have to adjust one setting. I made the alarm come on during startup with the throttle cut OFF rather than ON, for safety. But everything else seems perfect so far!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

jhsa wrote:Well, it would be nice if companion would save models on a single file as well, right? ;)
Openned an issue on the google code page of companion. hopefully the feature will be available soon. ;)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

Return to “openTx”