Introducing: TelemetrEZ

All mods related to the frsky telemetry series of the firmware
MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Introducing: TelemetrEZ

Post by MikeB »

Gohst: I'll have those changes in the next release.
Didn't see anythink on the Wiki about the BT hookup, anything on the rotary encoder - which pins etc.?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

It is going on the telemetrez wiki. I think I will make a section in the main 9x wiki also though.
-Gohst

Ok rotary encoder setup, and Bluetooth connection pages are up on the 9x-telemetrez wiki!

And now also on the official 9x forums wiki! Under hardware mods -> telemetrez. here.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've just tested the changes for the rotary encoder. They override the original rotary encoder so are not suitable by themselves.
I put in a few changes to allow both to work, but be auto selected as to which is actually active.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Gaijin

Post by Gaijin »

Thanks for the wiki, it must have taken some time to write, sadly I still need some clarification

Now, I was intending to use a JY-MCU module with RS232 backplane that is 5v tolerant, presumably that would eliminate all or some of the resistor / v reg requirement, can I just connect directly to the io points you mention?

JY-MCU Setup and details
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

The module you linked to uses RS232 levels which are +/- 10V. You need to keep the 1k resistor across the attiny. I would also keep the 10k resistor inline to the data in on your module. Just in case you connect it to the data out line by accident. The regulator is built in on your module so that obviously isn't needed. Yours might work with the 5V data level, only trying it will tell.
-Gohst

Promix

Post by Promix »

Promix wrote:Regarding Bluetooth, I found this one somewhere in my parts box. Can I use it with TelemetrEZ and Android phones ?
http://bluecontroller.com/index.php?cid ... 8-BTM~pino
Thanks

btw, it has an AVR on board for special applications.

This is an open source bootloader:
http://code.google.com/r/michaeldreher4 ... ontroller/

Don`t know if this is useful :|
gohsthb, could you please do a quick check on this type of BT ?
Thanks a lot
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

I don't see why it wouldn't work. If you erase the avr that is onboard it looks like you can connect to the Bluetooth module through a level shifter. I would use the ISP connections. Scroll down the page you linked to until you get to the ISP pins table. connect 5V to pin 2, ground to pin 4, and the data input to the module will go to pin 6(Rx). Like I said in my above post you still need the 1k resistor across the attiny on the Telemetrez, and I would still put the 10k inline with the data signal. Sometimes things get labeled backward, and we don't want anything burning up.
-Gohst
Promix

Post by Promix »

Thanks for checking this. Will give it a try. I don`t need to erase the onboard avr cause it`s blank as from factory. I hooked it up with my pc couple of month ago for test and it works well.
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Hey Gohst... I was just getting a question from a customer regarding the bluetooth and I took a look at the wiki and want to suggest a change. Where you write:
Telemetrez board setup¶

Take the 1k resistor and connect it between pin 1 and pin17 of the attiny1634. If you are looking at the Telemetrez so the expansion IO is at the top, then pin 1 of the '1634 is the top left pin. And pin 17 is on the opposite side 3rd down from the top.
It may be easier to describe the pins where they would be easiest to solder. For example, "Pin 1" is connected to the 2-wire connector marked "9x", the pin marked "mosi". "Pin 17" is "G" on the expansion header [EDIT: scroll further down... it appears he meant pin 18, which is "F").

- Steven
Last edited by s_mack on Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gaijin

Post by Gaijin »

Perfect, I'd much prefer to solder to the board than the processor legs, can I suggest you leave a a blank spot with free hole on V2 (Or just build it in)

In fact, If you could add space for the 10k too that would tidy the install up
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

yep, of course! If certain mods get vetted well.. I'll do what I can to accommodate them later.
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

s_mack wrote:Hey Gohst... I was just getting a question from a customer regarding the bluetooth and I took a look at the wiki and want to suggest a change. Where you write:

It may be easier to describe the pins where they would be easiest to solder. For example, "Pin 1" is connected to the 2-wire connector marked "9x", the pin marked "mosi". "Pin 17" is "G" on the expansion header.
- Steven
I didn't choose those locations, because the little plastic connector will melt easily, and there is another wire that goes into hole "F". And I think it makes a neat installation with the resistor right on top of the processor. I suppose you could splice the resistor into the other wires to those locations. I think I will leave the wiki as it is for now though.
-Gohst
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

F is pin 18. But then, that was confusing too... because you say pin 17 but you describe it as 3rd from the top. 3rd from the top is 18. This chip isn't particularly fine-pitched, so you're right that its not that difficult of a soldering job.... but I might suggest that a good amount of people would prefer not to solder to a chip's pins. I wish I had thought to put a solder point off of the tx/rx lines.

Clarification on 17 vs 18, F vs G would be useful though.
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

So 18 it is then.
-Gohst
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Ok, so then the bluetooth module connects to the same pin the resistor (that goes to MOSI) does?
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

Yes. What this does is takes the signal going to the 9x and parallels it off to the Bluetooth module through the 1k resistor. Pin F that the other end of the resistor connects to is either high(5V) or high-impedance. The software times it so only Frsky packets get sent to the Bluetooth module. Otherwise the Bluetooth module thinks the line is idle, which happens to be at 5V.
-Gohst
JoeBlues

Post by JoeBlues »

Basic question- This TelemetrEZ board should take the place of the FLD-02 correct? I have the Smartieparts 2.3 board and just ordered the TelemetrEZ module. I have er9x flashed right now, but I assume I will need open9x or er9x-frsky to take advantage of this module?
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Correct.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
ek123

Post by ek123 »

Just a quick update about my effort to load a new hex file onto the telemetrEZ. I bought a cheapy usbasp programmer like the version sold by Hobbyking. It seems to work fine. I managed to load v60 onto the telemetrEZ without any errors coming up during the verify. I did not do anything different than what I did with the usbtiny and the jtag iceii. Strange that neither of those programmers worked but the usbasp does. The tiny programs the 9x just fine but I never tried the jtag on the 9x. I suppose if one didn't have a programmer but wanted to upload various versions of the hex files onto the telemetrEZ then it would be prudent to get a usbasp.

Thanks to all for the help I was given on this.

Regards,

Eusebio
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

That's weird ek123... somehow I missed your entire conversation earlier! I wonder if its a matter that your other programmers don't handle the -B switch the same way as usbasp does. I recall reading somewhere that usbasp does it "weird", but that's the tool I use and most of use for the 9x. So maybe -B 10 on your programmers means a different thing and it was still "too fast"? Anyway, glad you got it working with the usbasp.
Gaijin

Post by Gaijin »

s-mack,

Any Idea when the guide for internal tx / rx Frsky module connection will be finished on the smartieparts site?

I have some hacking time coming up, I assume the spare pins used only relate to FM module use and so I can make the mod and still swap between FrSky / DSM2 / 9X modules easily?
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Check the wiki on openrcforums.com/wiki

These is a guide by Mike that shows which pins to isolate for the mod.

It is not for the telemetryEZ, but the module part is identical.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Hmm, I did forget about that guide, didn't I? Shoot... and I just did the mod not too long ago. I just forgot to take pictures. c**p. I'll do another one soon.

Basically it was going to be exactly like Mike's method (minus the 2k7 resistor) but described with the specific steps for TelemetrEZ. Which basically is snipping the black connector off the 2-wire black/white wire harness and soldering those wires to the two pins in question (other end still just plugs into tEZ).
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Hello Steven, love the products, great work getting them out. I have a question.
I have...

T9x (MODE2)
SmartieParts Board
TelemetryEZ
MegaSound9x
Haptic Mod
BackLight

I have never updated or touched the TelemetryEZ, just plug and play, along with SP board.
I seem to have a problem with the Aileron Switch. The Throttle switch is on at the startup, but turns off shortly after.
I have been told that the TelemetryEz has a part in play here as the switches are interfaced directly to the Telm_EZ.
I have SmartieParts rev2.3 and the Telm_EZ plugs directly to it. NO soldering required, as I was informed. Am I wrong here? Do i need to solder to the Main Board to pick up anything?

Is there a known issue with this?

i am running:
er9x-r782
v1.6750-Mike
FRSKY NHT

Thanks for your feedback,

Regards,

Pino.
Custom 9x with M64/Telemetry Mod
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

What is the problem?
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Edited Post here...
Steven, firstly.. great innovation, great products... thanks for doing it along with the testers.
After reading all 23 pages... I am going to try this post...

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=994&hilit=tez&start=600#p32652

When that is done, I will post back and comment if all is well.

Basically, my aileron switch won't shut off, I know the switch works via tester...

Not a biggy, will update the firmware. I prematurely wrote my problem before having a chance to read all 23 pages. ;)

Keep up the good work!

Thanks,

Pino.
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Ok well, you seem to be indicating that the Tcut and Ail switches both aren't working and then after 15 seconds, the Ail switch still doesn't work and the Tcut does? Is that right? Or they both come back after 15 seconds? If both, then yes updating the firmware will fix the issue. But if Ail isn't coming back after 15 seconds, then you have something either wrong with the switch or a loose connection or you have the jumper and original harness's swapped (ie. connected wrong).
Buckmaster

Post by Buckmaster »

On mine the Thr and Ail switches wouldn't work at all. They never would become functional again, regardless of how long I left the radio on. The firmware update fixed it though. I have a similar set of mods done to mine, without the haptic or sound. If only one of your switches doesn't work, like Steven said, maybe one of the sets of wires is inverted. You should have lost both switches, not just the one, but of one set of wires was inverted, that would explain only one switch being dysfunctional. If memory serves, the original plugs go into the 90° headers, and the supplied jumpers plug into the straight headers, then into the 9x. None the less, it's conveniently labeled on the TelemetrEZ board which plugs go where.
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

s_mack wrote:Ok well, you seem to be indicating that the Tcut and Ail switches both aren't working and then after 15 seconds, the Ail switch still doesn't work and the Tcut does? Is that right? Or they both come back after 15 seconds? If both, then yes updating the firmware will fix the issue. But if Ail isn't coming back after 15 seconds, then you have something either wrong with the switch or a loose connection or you have the jumper and original harness's swapped (ie. connected wrong).
Morning Steven,
Sometimes you need to step back and just RTFM. I have taken the radio apart probably 100 times over the last 2 months building and testing the MegaSound9x. That being said, I forgot how to connect the tEZ properly. Now following your instructions, the switches work again. Well, after 15 secs they work again. I will continue to review the proper flashing instructions and do so with the latest release.

Thanks again for your help.

p.s. too bad the SP board can't connect direct while plugged in and program the tEZ. ;-) I know you guys tried. lol

Cheers.

Again, Great Products, I will be sure to order another set for my other radio to come.
Buckmaster

Post by Buckmaster »

I used Stevens instructions and flashing program (can be found on page 21 of this thread) and it was super easy. Maybe the corrective action for this issue could be documented somewhere easy to find/ trip one so that if others have this issue it would be easy for them to come up with a solution? I know I spent 4 hours trying to figure out what I did wrong, took the radio apart numerous times etc. before figuring out the firmware upgrade might fix it. I love the product and certainly expect a little drama being one of the earlier purchasers.

Return to “FRSky Telemetry Mods”