Unsigned USBASP Drivers & Windows 8

er9x is the best known firmware. It has a superb range of features and is well supported by the community. Well worth trying out.
GillRigged

Unsigned USBASP Drivers & Windows 8

Post by GillRigged »

Being that I am not only new to the RC plane world but new to the 9x world as well, I had a hard time with getting setup to use my laptop to flash the ER9x FW. However, I was pretty fortunate that I am knowledgeable in the computer field and was able to figure this stuff out. One of the obstacles was having to update USBasp in Device Manager by Right-clicking, clicking "Update Driver Software...", "Browse my computer for driver software" and then selecting the folder path of the the software (unzipped USBasp-win-driver-x86-x64-ia64-v1.2.4).

In Windows 8 however, this will fail stating the the driver is unsigned. I did find a solution but about a week later. Luckily, my system is a triple-boot setup (Windows 8 Professional x64, Windows 7 Professional x64 and Ubuntu 12.04 amd64) and was able to install the driver in Windows 7. Anyways, I did end up finding the solution within Windows 8 to disable driver signature enforcement. I took pictures to show the process. If you DO have a multi-boot system like me then all you have to do is restart your system and click Change defaults or choose other options, Choose other options and then go to step 4.

1) If you DO NOT have a multi-boot system you will move your cursor to the upper or lower right side of your desktop and click Settings:

2) Select Change PC Settings:

3) Now click on the General link and scroll down to Advanced Startup and click Restart now:

4) Select the Troubleshoot option:

5) Select Advanced Options:

6) Now in the Advanced options menu select Startup Settings:

7) On the next screen choose Restart where you will choose Disable driver signature enforcement (option 7) by pressing F7:

Now the system will restart. With the TX connected by USB you can go to Device Manager and manually update driver as stated at the beginning of this post. I hope this helps.

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Re: Unsigned USBASP Drivers & Windows 8

Post by Rob Thomson »

Thanks for the info - Certainly worth knowing!

Personally.. I am not sure I will make the change to windows 8.

Tried it yesterday on a clients. Hated every minute of it :-)

Rob
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
GillRigged

Re: Unsigned USBASP Drivers & Windows 8

Post by GillRigged »

Rob Thomson wrote:Thanks for the info - Certainly worth knowing!

Personally.. I am not sure I will make the change to windows 8.

Tried it yesterday on a clients. Hated every minute of it :-)

Rob
Lol. Well, once you get past any hardware issues and get used to the differences from previous Windows (which isn't all that much) then its not bad, really. I never use the Metro Apps (other than weather and contacts) but I do like the other changes. However, I had to get back my desktop gadgets. I can live without the Aeroglass but not my gadgets. ;-)

Sent from my Droid X2 using Tapatalk 2

Return to “er9x”