If you could choose only one RF module...

Choosing an RF Module? What modules work? What is compatible with the 9x?
jlummel

If you could choose only one RF module...

Post by jlummel »

If you could choose only one RF module system to use with the 9x out all the available AND compatible ones, and you would have to use only that system for the duration, which would you choose? Things to take into account would be cost of the module, range, reliability, cost of receivers (which I feel is VERY important), parts availability, technology (eg DSM, FHSS, ...), number of channels, etc.

As a corollary, how does the stock 2.4gHz system that comes with the FlySky/Turnigy 9x stack up to other technologies (such as DSM/DSM2, FASST, etc)?

James

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Re: If you could choose only one RF module...

Post by Rob Thomson »

Personally....

FRSKY.

http://www.frsky-rc.com/ShowProducts.asp?id=35

Receivers are cheap enough (not the cheapest).
Link is pretty much bullet proof
you get option of telemetry enabling your 9x with the telemeteryEZ product / or custom mods. (well worth it!!)

As for the stock RF system.

I would not trust it beyond use on a foamy :-)
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

FrSky.

Though it would still be a bit of a pain not to be able to use my excellent E-flite UMX models ;)
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

True.. but that is why you end up with frsky and orangerx :-)
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

jlummel wrote:If you could choose only one RF module system to use with the 9x out all the available AND compatible ones, and you would have to use only that system for the duration, which would you choose? Things to take into account would be cost of the module, range, reliability, cost of receivers (which I feel is VERY important), parts availability, technology (eg DSM, FHSS, ...), number of channels, etc.

As a corollary, how does the stock 2.4gHz system that comes with the FlySky/Turnigy 9x stack up to other technologies (such as DSM/DSM2, FASST, etc)?

James
No doubt about it -- It would be the FrSKY DJT module. http://www.alofthobbies.com/jr-transmit ... odule.html

I have FASST (Futaba 7C), DSM2 (both Spektrum and OrangeRX, DSMX (Same as DSM2), FlySky in my stable -- but FrSKY offers what the others do -- and more. FrSKY is as reliable as Futaba and far better than DSM2 and at least as good as DSMX. FrSKY has telemetry that costs many times more with other companiers -- but if you don't want the telemetry -- you still have a rock solid module with inexpensive (not cheap) receivers well made receivers.

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Frsky!
SM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.
Please add a location to your profile. Thank You
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Scott Page wrote:at least as good as DSMX.
Really? I would have considered it 100% better than DSMX.

But hey.. I am an FRSKY Fan :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I've heard it said that Dsmx does not stay in that mode if it thinks its having trouble and so it drops back to dsm2?
After losing several planes to DSM2 I heard about Frsky that led me to er9x several years ago. My dx7 sits at he now and I e never had a link loss or any Frsky er9x issues since.
I will use dsm2 for indoor flying since the BNF stuff is so small and fun.
SM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.
Please add a location to your profile. Thank You
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

Rob Thomson wrote:
Scott Page wrote:at least as good as DSMX.
Really? I would have considered it 100% better than DSMX.

But hey.. I am an FRSKY Fan :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I agree with you, but I already pissed off one person this week (sorry JHSA), so I was being - polite - or maybe cautious.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Who you p off? jhsa?

Don't think he was really p'd off. Just being himself... fortugese! Probably caught his finger in some his models plaps! (He will know what that means)

:)
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

I'm happy with my original flysky modules.
I never had a noticable dropout, not even with the 3ch receiver while flying 2m electric gliders.
And I have a whole bunch of the real cheap receivers. That many, that I never had with any other system.

And for the telemetry, I have a separate link (NMEA), that is independent of the module type.

Reinhard
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Rob Thomson wrote:Who you p off? jhsa?

Don't think he was really p'd off. Just being himself... fortugese! Probably caught his finger in some his models plaps! (He will know what that means)

:)
yeah, yeah, I'm not posting on this forum anymore. What a bunch of selfish people you can find sometimes..
And I thought they were nice people :(
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Hey Guys, I'm Joking . I'm not Pd off, and none of you is being selfish. Well, yes, maybe a little bit ;) definitely. :P but I like that everybody is treated the same and have the same chances as all the others. And that their ideology is respected. And I'm not going there anymore ;)
Enough was said about that subject :mrgreen:

FRSKY ALL YHE WAY...

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

Good to know João. I really felt like a turd. Not enough to buy you a sky9x to turn you to the dark side... but a turd just the same.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Scott Page wrote:Not enough to buy you a sky9x to turn you to the dark side...
It's nothing to do with passing to any other side. The same with er9x and open9x. there is no better or best. There is only what is the best for each one of us, and we all think different, Thank God
It's been a what? 2, 3 years project?? It would be a shame to abandon it thinking that something else could have been done. that there is still room for more. that the project is still not finished.
Instead of having people trying to finish a project, it would be nice to have people jumping in to help make it even better ;) That is a positive attitude..
Anyway, I'm not posting about this again... already said it before :mrgreen:

FrSKy all the way

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
jlummel

Post by jlummel »

Scott Page wrote: No doubt about it -- It would be the FrSKY DJT module. http://www.alofthobbies.com/jr-transmit ... odule.html

I have FASST (Futaba 7C), DSM2 (both Spektrum and OrangeRX, DSMX (Same as DSM2), FlySky in my stable -- but FrSKY offers what the others do -- and more. FrSKY is as reliable as Futaba and far better than DSM2 and at least as good as DSMX. FrSKY has telemetry that costs many times more with other companiers -- but if you don't want the telemetry -- you still have a rock solid module with inexpensive (not cheap) receivers well made receivers.
FrSky DJT seems to be the consensus. That Aloft Hobbies link you posted has a great deal on that module and shipping was under $3, so I picked one up while it was cheap. Next time I go to buy receivers I'll get the FrSky ones for this module and see how it goes. It would seem to be the way to go to get telemetry up and running as well, which I want to do later this year.

I've been using FrSky FASST receivers with my 7c radio and have been pretty happy with them, the only real difference between the FrSky and the Futabas is there is slight servo movement if you turn the FrSky on before you turn the transmitter on. But they've been rock solid and a great alternative to the pricier Futabas (even handle the Futaba fail-safe properly unlike other 3rd party FASST receivers).

Will the 9x need any mods to use this module right now if I plan on using telemetry a little further down the road (not right away)?

Thanks,

James
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

jlummel wrote:
Scott Page wrote: No doubt about it -- It would be the FrSKY DJT module. http://www.alofthobbies.com/jr-transmit ... odule.html

FrSky DJT seems to be the consensus. That Aloft Hobbies link you posted has a great deal on that module and shipping was under $3, so I picked one up while it was cheap. Next time I go to buy receivers I'll get the FrSky ones for this module and see how it goes. It would seem to be the way to go to get telemetry up and running as well, which I want to do later this year.

I've been using FrSky FASST receivers with my 7c radio and have been pretty happy with them, the only real difference between the FrSky and the Futabas is there is slight servo movement if you turn the FrSky on before you turn the transmitter on. But they've been rock solid and a great alternative to the pricier Futabas (even handle the Futaba fail-safe properly unlike other 3rd party FASST receivers).

Will the 9x need any mods to use this module right now if I plan on using telemetry a little further down the road (not right away)?

Thanks,

James
No mods needed to use the module as a transmitter module without telemetry.

There are a couple fairly easy ways to add telemetry to the transmitter. One is the smartieparts board and the EZtelemetry from smartieparts.com. For a little more money the sky9x replacement board is friggin awesome. http://www.ersky9x.net/
jlummel

Post by jlummel »

Scott Page wrote:
No mods needed to use the module as a transmitter module without telemetry.

There are a couple fairly easy ways to add telemetry to the transmitter. One is the smartieparts board and the EZtelemetry from smartieparts.com. For a little more money the sky9x replacement board is friggin awesome. http://www.ersky9x.net/
I went with the Smartieparts board for the USB and was looking at the EZTelemetry board as well.

I'm using Open9x and really like it, but it doesn't seem to support the EZTelemetry board yet. Does anyone know if there's any support planned for it? That would be awesome!

James

PS- I looked at the sky9x board, but after adding in everything needed to make it run well it got too pricy for me. Maybe I'll sell off all my Futaba stuff (the 7c and some receivers of various brands) and then upgrade the 9x in style!
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

Open9x uptodate) does work on the EZTelemetry board -- but you have to check that option (telemetrez) when you download. This is why some people don't get it to work -- they don't check the boxes they need
Capture.PNG
I've got one two EZtelemetry -- one with smartie 2.2 and one with smartie 2.3. Both are using Open9x.

I did the same as you describe -- I funded my move to FrSKY by selling the dozens of expensive Futaba 7ch receivers I had and one of my two 7C transmitters.
Promix

Post by Promix »

Sorry Guys ;) , need some help !
Hope it`s not too off topic here.
I`am going to dive into telemetry now and ordered already DJT / D8R-II plus combo from Frsky, but I don`t know what RX is the best choose. :|
What is the difference between these RX`s : D8R-II plus and D8R-XP ?
Ok, except the price and shape I see nothing more in detail. Anybody knows ?
Thanks
Last edited by Promix on Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Promix wrote:What is the difference between these RX`s : D8R-II plus and D8R-XP ?Ok, except the price and shape I see nothing more in detail. Anybody knows ?
Thanks
Have a look at this thread. ----> viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1205

More here ----> Differences between FrSky receivers?

I have to admit that the range of RX's from Frsky is confusing as to some of the changes between them.
Promix

Post by Promix »

Oh, I missed that completely :shock:
Flaps 30, thanks for pointing me there. I remember your second thread, but I did`t find it - no more questions at all now ;)
jlummel

Post by jlummel »

Scott Page wrote:Open9x uptodate) does work on the EZTelemetry board -- but you have to check that option (telemetrez) when you download. This is why some people don't get it to work -- they don't check the boxes they need
Capture.PNG
I've got one two EZtelemetry -- one with smartie 2.2 and one with smartie 2.3. Both are using Open9x.

I did the same as you describe -- I funded my move to FrSKY by selling the dozens of expensive Futaba 7ch receivers I had and one of my two 7C transmitters.
That is good to know, thanks! Looks like I'm set, I'll get one of the FRSky receivers for the next plane and see how it works out, then work on getting the telemetry going (sounds like most of the heavy lifting has been done already though).

I noticed that the EZtelemetry board needs to feed some signals to the FRSky model using the port on the back of the module. It looks like only 3 wires are needed, so I was thinking of using a stereo 3/8" headphone jack with a custom cable so I can just plug in the the FRSky module when I need it and not have wires hanging out of the case when I don't.

Would there be a problem with this, or is there a better solution?

Thanks,
James
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Check the guide by Mike on this page.

http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/ ... _telemetry

It is very neat, and very effective.

Essentially you use the unused pins on the rf module to route the signal to the board.

Return to “RF MODULES”