New TX Antenna 9x V2

Choosing an RF Module? What modules work? What is compatible with the 9x?
JamesPal

New TX Antenna 9x V2

Post by JamesPal »

I would like to move the antenna from the top of the transmitter to the back of the standard Turnigy RF module. I have seen some YoueTube videos. They have always used the original TX antenna. These installations just don't look clean. I have the V2 TX with the coax running through the back of the TX case.
I would like to find a replacement antenna with a screw base. I will need the base and coax. Does anyone have any suggestions?

THX- Jim Palmer
Last edited by JamesPal on Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"None of us are as smart as all of us together..."
Jim Palmer

Bellevue, Washington USA

Kilrah

Re: New TX Antenna 9x V2

Post by Kilrah »

A hint here:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=541&p=6334&hilit=pigtail#p6334

Basically you can get a connector with some length of cable, and an antenna for said connector. Solder the cable in place of the stock antenna, drill a hole to mount the connector and you're done.

Most simply don't want to order parts and pay for them when they already have the original antenna they can use.
JamesPal

Post by JamesPal »

This is exactly what I was thinking about. Is the 5 db antenna worth it. Price is not the issue, just the additional length.
"None of us are as smart as all of us together..."
Jim Palmer

Bellevue, Washington USA
gbmarsh

Post by gbmarsh »

JamesPal wrote:
This is exactly what I was thinking about. Is the 5 db antenna worth it. Price is not the issue, just the additional length.
I haven't tried the 5 db as I'm using the Frsky DJT and range has been good with the stock 2 db.

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

The 5dbm antenna has gain but at a loss. Think of a round balloon with a hole in it top and bottom sort of like a donut. The radiation pattern of the normal antenna is sort of like that with the hole(tip area) no, or much less rf out.
To get more gain think of the balloon bring squeezed to no longer be round, but maybe more elongated or tear drop shape. No extra RF or balloon, just the same redistributed RF a no longer round shape. The effect is more RF energy radiated in a no longer found pattern. Yes more of the same original energy radiated, but is a specific direction. This means more of a directional signal that requires the antenna to be moved to keep the new "lobe of power" going to the RX. It also means less power off axis.
For normal line of sight 300 M, 1000Ft, I personally find the shorter 2Dbm antenna to work great and it's a lot shorter sitting on my TX.
I also don't have to worry about keeping it at any certain angle to my planes except "never" pointing the dead RF tip at my plane.
I've flown the last 1 1/2 years with the stock Frsky module antenna bent to the left just resting where the 9x handle comes out of the case. This polarity and being 90Deg crossing the handle and being several wavelengths form the horizontal part of the handle, has allowed me to fly at 1000Ft high, and a dot to the horizon with RSSI values no lower than 51.
My opinion if you sport fly just try my antenna setup.
I fly at a field with known RF issues and 10 to 20 in the air on 2.4g most days or more other days. 3 close flying areas for different flying machines.

My Aloft order for 2 stock antennas just came today in fact. Great service and great prices and 3-4 days to my area house. I'm using one for my DSM module mod and a spare.
Everyone at my field that's ordered from Aloft has given glowing reviews and I agree.
SM

ShowMaster
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
gbmarsh

Post by gbmarsh »

ShowMaster wrote:The 5dbm antenna has gain but at a loss. Think of a round balloon with a hole in it top and bottom sort of like a donut. The radiation pattern of the normal antenna is sort of like that with the hole(tip area) no, or much less rf out.
To get more gain think of the balloon bring squeezed to no longer be round, but maybe more elongated or tear drop shape. No extra RF or balloon, just the same redistributed RF a no longer round shape. The effect is more RF energy radiated in a no longer found pattern. Yes more of the same original energy radiated, but is a specific direction. This means more of a directional signal that requires the antenna to be moved to keep the new "lobe of power" going to the RX. It also means less power off axis.
For normal line of sight 300 M, 1000Ft, I personally find the shorter 2Dbm antenna to work great and it's a lot shorter sitting on my TX.
I also don't have to worry about keeping it at any certain angle to my planes except "never" pointing the dead RF tip at my plane.
I've flown the last 1 1/2 years with the stock Frsky module antenna bent to the left just resting where the 9x handle comes out of the case. This polarity and being 90Deg crossing the handle and being several wavelengths form the horizontal part of the handle, has allowed me to fly at 1000Ft high, and a dot to the horizon with RSSI values no lower than 51.
My opinion if you sport fly just try my antenna setup.
I fly at a field with known RF issues and 10 to 20 in the air on 2.4g most days or more other days. 3 close flying areas for different flying machines.

My Aloft order for 2 stock antennas just came today in fact. Great service and great prices and 3-4 days to my area house. I'm using one for my DSM module mod and a spare.
Everyone at my field that's ordered from Aloft has given glowing reviews and I agree.
SM

ShowMaster
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Great info ShowMaster, and I agree about Aloft's service.
From your description of your antenna orientation, it is like mine in the picture below. If so, thanks for confirming that this works well as I have not tried other orientations yet because this seemed to be working well in all of my range tests so far.

Cheers,
Geoff
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

That's the way I always orient the antenna on all my transmitters and I haven't had a problem at all.

I use the standard 2db antenna. I bought a 5db just to see what it was like, but it's big and awkward and not needed.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I think we're all saying it works for us so we're staying with it.
For normal line of sight flying the antenna tucked horizontal works just fine. It also keeps the dead tip area from pointing at the plane. To off set the horizontal TX antenna I always make sure my RX antennas have both a vertical and horizontal polarity. This and the sky wave and any ground wave or bounce gets enough good signal to and from the plane.
It seems that many have the idea that the antenna must point at the plane or always be straight up. The reason most lower frequency antennas are that way is if they're very long and horizontal they would be affected by ground effect and also poke the person next to you like at 35 or 72 MHz.
The rule of thumb is to be several wavelengths above ground or other metal objects that could direct or reflect the signal. At 2.4 this works out just holding the TX.
May RC radio manufacturers show in the first few pages of their Manuel how to point the the antenna and usually it's off to one side, but again not always so use what you feel comfortable with and see how it works.
It's not a perfect science but it's worked 100% with my Frsky setup for a lot of solid flights at all distances I can see my planes.
SM

Return to “RF MODULES”