openX9D

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
bertrand35
9x Developer

openX9D

Post by bertrand35 »

Right ...

There are a lot of challenges in porting open9x to X9D:

- the first one is the navigation. There is no [UP] and [DOWN] keys.

- the second one is the screen resolution (212x64). Eva said it is monochrome (in frsky driver I see 4bits per pixel, I am still hoping we will have 16 grayscales).

Navigation is almost ok today. Screens are a huge work to use the extra width at its best, but at least we have the splash ;)

Bertrand.
Attachments
snapshot_01.png
snapshot_01.png (1.22 KiB) Viewed 19199 times

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Re: openX9D

Post by Rob Thomson »

Ahh... ;)
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

bertrand35 wrote: but at least we have the splash ;)
And now 20 pixels wider!!
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

bertrand35 wrote:
(in frsky driver I see 4bits per pixel, I am still hoping we will have 16 grayscales).
Has she mailed you the driver source yet? Assume so as you seem to have knowlege of the driver :)
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Rob Thomson wrote:
bertrand35 wrote:
(in frsky driver I see 4bits per pixel, I am still hoping we will have 16 grayscales).
Has she mailed you the driver source yet? Assume so as you seem to have knowlege of the driver :)
Yes, I have the driver of the LCD (only this one). I don't know if it's public, I will ask soon.
Bertrand.

pmullen503

Post by pmullen503 »

Maybe a new forum should be started for Frsky radios. Once the Turnigy 9XR is out you'll have the 9x, 9XR, and X9D. Similar names for completely different hardware platforms.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

No real value in that.

It is like saying we need a new forum for the sky9x board.

The firmware is really what matters... If open9x or er9x runs on it.. Then this is the right place to discuss it.

What will probably happen at some point in the distant future is the forum may re brand. But no major need to do that anytime soon.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
kaos

Post by kaos »

I think pmullen meant a new thread/topic section?
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Ah... I missed that :-)
pmullen503

Post by pmullen503 »

kaos wrote:I think pmullen meant a new thread/topic section?
Yes, that is what I meant. A new section to keep hardware specific versions of firmware separate. (Unless of course, the same version of Open9X will run on all platforms.)
nsf

Post by nsf »

Guys, sorry for the off topic.
I’m going to buy the rev3 sky9x board, that I was thinking in installing in a new 9x (yet to be bought), keeping my current one with the stock board.
On the new one, with sky9x board, I was going to install the frsky system with telemetry, but now with the incoming X9D from frsky I’m having second thoughts, specially knowing that you guys are already working on the firmware. Should I install the sky9x board on my current radio and wait for the X9D instead of investing in practically a new system (9x radio+ sky9x board+ telemetry system)?
what are your thoughts?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I'd say it's mostly a question of timing...
We don't yet have a final release date, and then we don't really know enough to guess how long it will take to port the firmware...

If you can wait maybe a good 2-3 months then I think the X9D is worth the wait, but if you need a radio now...
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Right now.. 100% you can garuantee the sky9x / open9x / ersky9x is bug free and works well.

The x9d is an unknown quantity.

We are only likely to get the demo units in 2 weeks time. Then.. Assume at least 1 month before we know if the port will be easy... Then maybe 2 more months of work!

As Kilrah said... All about your own personal timings.
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Hmmm. except the 100% garantee bugs free, I do agree with Rob / Kilrah. A lot of work still remains to do.
Bertrand.
nsf

Post by nsf »

No hurries on this side. 2 to 3, or even 4 months is no big deal for me. Just want something reliable, and I know frsky, in what concerns their modules and receivers, has a good reputation there,.
The X9D, as said, is an unknown, whereas, the 9x with the sky9x board has proven his value..
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

bertrand35 wrote:Hmmm. except the 100% garantee bugs free, I do agree with Rob / Kilrah. A lot of work still remains to do.
Bertrand.
Hey... I have never hit a bug that causes me to crash :)

Is the work to do not really just a case of features being added? The core functionality that exists works perfectly :)
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

We do have some automatic non regression tests (using the google tests framework), but we have implemented far too little automatic tests ... and even if we had a lot more, and despite the fact that we have many manual tests done before each release, we wouldn't promise 100% it's bug free!

Bertrand.
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

2 more screenshots tonight ...
snapshot_01.png
snapshot_01.png (1.62 KiB) Viewed 18852 times
snapshot_02.png
snapshot_02.png (1.54 KiB) Viewed 18852 times
Yes, there is a scrollbar :)

Bertrand.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Ok ok...

9X% bug free :-)

Rob
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

bertrand35 wrote:2 more screenshots tonight :)
snapshot_01.png
snapshot_02.png
Bertrand.
Nice. The extra screen size will start making many of the complex screens easier to read.

Rob
Cerberus

Post by Cerberus »

Is it X9D on the market already, or we are talking about future release? X12D would be awesome to have also
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

X9D should come by the end of the year, X12D and X16D are several months away, they're still in the design phase.
Cerberus

Post by Cerberus »

Thank you.
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

2 more screenshots tonight ...
snapshot_05.png
snapshot_05.png (1.59 KiB) Viewed 18699 times
snapshot_06.png
snapshot_06.png (1.64 KiB) Viewed 18699 times
Note the chars used (↑ - ↓) to display the switch position. Thanks Kilrah for the graphics :)

Bertrand.

PS: If I am right, we should have 2 switches 2-pos (SA and SH), 6 switches 3-pos (SB-SG) and 4 pots (S1-S4)
manu

Post by manu »

Yes!!
Long mixes names.
Just longer than 5 chars.
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Well spotted. Big screen = longer names. Phases, Mixers, Dual rates will be 10chars long.
Bertrand.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

OK, some work on the more difficult UI part, the home screen...
Bigger screen is cool, but then we need to find a way to use it - here are a few drafts, trying to keep the same philosophy as on the 9X, and reusing elements where possible.
Inputs match what we know of the radio at this point (8 switches and 4 pots), labels are dummies of course, they'll match the radio labels (apparently SA, SB, SC... for the switches), with ↑ - ↓ appended for the position.

The top half keeps all the "important" information so it's always visible, namely model name, (12 chars), flight phase (now 10 chars as Bertrand mentioned earlier), both timers so we don't need to change screen, radio voltage, a 2nd voltage (RX or flight pack).

The bottom half like now, can change between pages:
- One page shows the inputs and a little logo (a few standard ones to choose from for various model types, plus possibility to load a custom 64x32px bitmap off the SD card).

- 2nd page with output bars, same as now but more on the same page:
home2_b.png
home2_b.png (9.93 KiB) Viewed 18620 times
- 3rd page with numerical values, still like now, also 12 per page:
home3_b.png
home3_b.png (9.9 KiB) Viewed 18620 times
Any comments?

Of course it looks quite busy, but like now any unused feature (flight phase, timer, RX voltage...) would leave more empty space. We have screen real-estate, better use it!
less.png
less.png (11.14 KiB) Viewed 18620 times
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Another couple of layouts that came along earlier during tests, also for commenting!

Logo in the middle:
planemid.png
Logo and timers swapped, logo would stay on all home screens, but to have the timers also always visible the other displays would be limited to 8 channels like on the 9x... I quite like too... or nearly prefer actually (the frame around the logo was only for me to align it, it's less oppressive without). RX voltage missing as I had the idea later, but it would fit.
home1_c.png
home2_c.png
home3_c.png
I don't understand why the forum wants to reduce and frame some of the images but not all, they're all the same dimensions... anyway if it's blurry that's the reason!
kaos

Post by kaos »

I like the 1 st group layout (your 2nd from the last post). that way you keep the pertinent info at the same spot, when more display needed, just replace plane image with data. that plane image has little info beside when you select that model the 1st time.
X9D has 8 or 9 ch?
rotozuk

Post by rotozuk »

Great to see your progress! Layouts look good to me.
-----------------------------
www.alofthobbies.com
-----------------------------

Return to “openTx”