Display of Frsky Hub sensors?

er9x is the best known firmware. It has a superb range of features and is well supported by the community. Well worth trying out.
ShowMaster

Display of Frsky Hub sensors?

Post by ShowMaster »

Anyone using the latest er9x FW, a fully modified Frsky 9x with the Frsky hub please report on what to expect and how it displays the different sensor readings please. I currently have, but have not used yet, the altimeter, Gps, and fuel gauge. I understand that a new Frsky sensor will read individual cell voltage so how will that display? Is there a recommendation for a better tach that's not optical that will work with the er9x FW?
Open for discussion if this is the place for it?
Thanks,
ShowMaster

memeruiz

Re: Display of Frsky Hub sensors?

Post by memeruiz »

Hi:

You will get some readings with er9x from the frsky hub. You get the temperatures, the GPS (not tested, I only get zeros everywhere, I must get a fix first to test), and altitude information (from vario). You can get an alarm if you go over 122 meters from 0 meters, and you can set the the current measurement to zero to initialize your flight starting altitude.

With respect to the lipo cell voltage sensor (FLVS-01, I just made a patch giving support to display the individual cells of lipos. Also I added the status display for the accelerometer. In the second telemetry screen I added two new items to configure an alarm in case the voltage of any cell drops below some threshold voltage. The frsky hub must be upgrade to firmware version2 in order to support the voltage sensor.

http://code.google.com/p/er9x/issues/detail?id=353

Enjoy!
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

memeruiz wrote:Hi:

You will get some readings with er9x from the frsky hub. You get the temperatures, the GPS (not tested, I only get zeros everywhere, I must get a fix first to test), and altitude information (from vario). You can get an alarm if you go over 122 meters from 0 meters, and you can set the the current measurement to zero to initialize your flight starting altitude.

With respect to the lipo cell voltage sensor (FLVS-01, I just made a patch giving support to display the individual cells of lipos. Also I added the status display for the accelerometer. In the second telemetry screen I added two new items to configure an alarm in case the voltage of any cell drops below some threshold voltage. The frsky hub must be upgrade to firmware version2 in order to support the voltage sensor.

http://code.google.com/p/er9x/issues/detail?id=353

Enjoy!
Thank you for the updates. I'll make time to try it all out. Will epee download this updated FW? I see the patch files but I'm not sure how to use them as a update to er9x?
SM
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've incorporated most of the patch, but not yet released it. I have some space saving code I'm checking before I commit it. I've added the individual cell voltages (up to 6) on the bottom of the GPS page. I've also added the fuel guage somewhere!
I'd like to have customisable telemetry screens, but I'm not sure we have either the flash or the EEPROM to allow this.

memeruiz:
Can you confirm you have tested your patch, in your individual cell voltage reading code you get the cell number from an odd place in the value (bits 4-7, not bits 12-15 as per FrSky spec.).

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

you need the hub to read individual cells, right?
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

You need the Hub, updated to the latest firmware (2.0), together with the multi-cell sensor. The sensor includes a little OLED display that shows the individual cell voltages directly. It also uses 15mA, possible directly from the first cell of the pack, since the spec says the first cell must be at least 3 volts for it to work.

If anyone has one of these, it would be interesting to know what the protocol is between the sensor and the hub.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

It would be nice to convert one of those to work with A1 or A2..
edit: forget it, I don't think it's possible
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Reacher10

Post by Reacher10 »

I'm up against it here. I have a EM411 GPS module that I have communicating with my PC using a RS232 converter. I'm getting excellent data and it's picking up 8 satellites from my desk.

By default it is set to 4800 baud and puts out NMEA protocol. I should be able to change the the baud on the chip to 9600.

Does anyone know the protocol that the HUB expects to see? From other discussion in the FrSky thread I've learned that HUB is 9600 baud.

I should be able to get this EM411 GPS module to work with the FrSky SKY FW but without knowing what it expects to see I can't get it working.

I've tried the NMEA FW with the module hooked into the hub and directly to digital side port of the D8R-II Rx no avail.

I could use a couple brains here to try and dope this out.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

You could try looking through/asking on either http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1200443 or http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1471122 to see if someone has the answer for you.

I don't have the GPS sensor, don't really need it.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Reacher10

Post by Reacher10 »

MikeB wrote:You could try looking through/asking on either http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1200443 or http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1471122 to see if someone has the answer for you.

I don't have the GPS sensor, don't really need it.

Mike.
How did you setup the GPS info screens in ER9FRSKY version? I mean I've learned more then care too in the last 2 days but I'm still grasping at straws.

I'm all over those discussions and many others. I should prolly just ask Chase Wu.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

By accident have 4 Frsky cell measurement devices/sensors on order so I guess I better learn how to use them. It was a midnight iPod order and I was asleep at the finger. No big deal since I'm a member of a large rc club and will sell off the extras at my cost.
So I understand that I'll have to update my Frsky DJT module and d8r III rx + use the hub to make it all work as a telemetry display. If I do all this will the er9x frsky FW still work with the WShadow HowHigh and dividers if I don't use the hub or update all my RX's I own?
Just trying to get any advice before I move on this.
I do have a Frsky GPS I want to try so updating the Frsky FW is required but must I do all RX's if anyone knows?
Thanks
SM
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

There is a good chance just updating the hub is all you need to do to use the cell voltage sensor. I think the FrSky GPS should just plug in to the hub and work.
The WS how high and voltage inputs should just work as always.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

Reacher10 wrote:I'm up against it here. I have a EM411 GPS module that I have communicating with my PC using a RS232 converter. I'm getting excellent data and it's picking up 8 satellites from my desk.

I've tried the NMEA FW with the module hooked into the hub and directly to digital side port of the D8R-II Rx no avail.
That can't work, as the hub sends data with the FrSky protokol. It's no longer pure NMEA data.

Your mouse has TTL RS232 data lines.
For testing, you could directly hook up the GPS mouse to the TX (no rs232/TTL converter needed !) and run the NMEA build of ER9x.

Setup the GPS mouse as described (4800 Bd, $GPGGA and $GPRMC records once a second)
Supply power to the GPS mouse.
Make sure, ground of TX and GPS mouse are connected with each other.
Connect the TTL TX line of the GPS mouse via a 1k resistor to Pin 2 of the TX, that is the UART receive line of the ATMEGA64. (This line is also used by the programmer. So if your programmer is permanently installed, only one of the two should be connected at any time).

Power up TX (and GPS mouse)
Press DOWN[long]
You should see some GPS data.

Reinhard

Return to “er9x”