Which Frsky module to use?

Choosing an RF Module? What modules work? What is compatible with the 9x?
rcgyuk

Which Frsky module to use?

Post by rcgyuk »

I have flashed my Flysky with ER9X, and am very pleased will all the functions.

I would now like to add telemetry, using Frsky.

I have a couple of questions / issues.

All the guides I have read so far assume you used the smartboard to mod the TX, I went the other way, and soldered the 6 wires, so not sure if all the instructions are valid.

Secondly, as far as I can see, there are 3 routes open to me.

1) The Frsky hack module that fits inside the case

2) The Frsky plug in module.

As far as I can see, with both of these, you aim to get the telemetry info on the TX screen

3) Frsky's integrated module & screen that clamps to the TX handle, and replaces the plug in module on the back of the TX.

This would put (I assume) the telemetry info on the new screen, and the TX screens would be unchanged

Unless there are reasons I don't know, 3) above would be my preferred option, but don't know what would be involved.

Any help would be most welcome.

Robert

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Re: Which Frsky module to use?

Post by Rob Thomson »

Personally.. the frsky plug in module, and a modded radio.

This gives you much more scope for 'fun stuff'
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

3) is the easiest, simply remove your radio's module at the back, and plug the 3 wires from the DHT-U to the relevant pins in the module slot. Done. Telemetry's displayed on the new screen indeed.

BUT... wiring telemetry to the main board is much more powerful, because it lets you create advanced things like triggering actions on the model depending on telemetry, activating alarms only when needed, and many more. Basically the radio's firmware can now take actions depending on telemetry values.
rcgyuk

Post by rcgyuk »

Ok, so I will go for 1) or 2), then. Given that I didn't use the smart board, which would you recommend ?
thomas9x

Post by thomas9x »

I used the FrSky hack module. It worked out great for me. Notes on the installation are posted in my 9x hack blog:
http://www.rc-cam.com/forum/index.php?/ ... r9x-hacks/

- Thomas

pmullen503

Post by pmullen503 »

If Frsky is the main/only receivers you use, the internal hack module would be my choice. The telemetry mod requires soldering skills but if you did your own programmer you can handle it.

The DHT-U has built in data logging to micro SD card. Something to consider. Personally, I prefer the high mounted telemetry screen (above the neck strap). Voice would be really nice (another reason to think about a replacement main board).
kaos

Post by kaos »

for telemetry, audio is 100% needed (to me;) ) I can't be flying and pull my bifocal to search data on the screen, high mount or low mount. ;)
if you want telemetry , audio mod is highly recommended. but a board up grade is the easiest, no sore finger tips by hot irons. ;)
with that said, a DJT module and a board upgrade would be what I would recommend and that is what I did. ;) and that audio is available through a earphone jack too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPWJuQUWC0E
PScott

Post by PScott »

I have a 9x and want to mod the module with a Frsky. I like the idea of just replacing the plug in module (#2 above) instead of the diy solding. Im not using telemetry now but like the idea of a seperate screen (#3). Is this what i need?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... le_RX.html
Crucial

Post by Crucial »

Yes that module will work just fine. If you want telemetry data on a screen later you can add this and plug it into the back of the module.

http://www.alofthobbies.com/lcd-display.html
Gavinxman

Post by Gavinxman »

but these frsky upgrades are much more than just for telm, right . is it not a much better module with frsky rxs for much great range ?? thats what i care about improving the range and singnal
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Gavinxman wrote:but these frsky upgrades are much more than just for telm, right . is it not a much better module with frsky rxs for much great range ?? thats what i care about improving the range and singnal
Yes much much better! The telemetry is just a bonus when you're ready for it.

ShowMaster
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
berniep

Post by berniep »

I am getting more confused the more I read.
I have a turnigy 9x that I have installed the smartieparts board in and it is now running er9x.
Can I just remove the built in antenna and use the plug-in FRSKY module.

Also will it get me telemetry on the screen or will I have to do a mod for that?
Thanks
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

You can plug in the FrSky module and use it, no problem. BUT if you want on-screen telemetry, you also have to do this mod:
http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/ ... y#Overview
Redbrickman

Post by Redbrickman »

Or wait a little while and buy the TelemetrEZ board that is in its first production run at the moment.
Maintain thine airspeed.
Lest the ground arise and smite thee!
berniep

Post by berniep »

Thanks guys. Mainly I wanted to get the better radio but the telemetry seems interesting.
Haven't paid much attention to the smartieparts telemetry board. But now I might.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

The Frsky FLD-02 display can be plugged into the connector on the back if the DJT module and you'll have telemetry. It will display data as well as let you set alarm trigger levels.
You can't enjoy er9x or open9x telemetry options but it will be a solder less option. The new SP board promises to be the best new option do you have choices.
SM

ShowMaster
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Return to “RF MODULES”