Wtb 9x with all mods , latest firmware , back lit LCD dsmx

Want to get your own 9x? Don't know where to buy one? Looking for spares?
Gavinxman

Wtb 9x with all mods , latest firmware , back lit LCD dsmx

Post by Gavinxman »

Looking for a 9x with all mods already performed . I don't have a pc to do the mods and I'm trying to find a 9x with telemetry moduel , latests firmware of course , back lit LCD and would me great if it would bind to mt dsm2 rx but not nessecery as I'll use 9x rx . Would also like to get at lest 1 rx . [email protected] have pay pal . Thanks

pmullen503

Re: Wtb 9x with all mods , latest firmware , back lit LCD ds

Post by pmullen503 »

Location?
Gavinxman

Post by Gavinxman »

SC USA
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Gavinxman wrote:with telemetry moduel, [...] but not nessecery as I'll use 9x rx .
Just one little detail, you won't get any telemetry with the 9X module and RX. You need FrSky for that.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

you must have the frsky module and frsky rx. The frsky module won't work with the original 9x rx
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

kaos

Post by kaos »

Gavinxman wrote:I don't have a pc to do the mods ......, latests firmware of course ,.......
that sounds like an impossible dream. by the time the Tx /rx is shipped out and received by you there will be a new version of FW out already. ;) the 9X FW is improving/updating constantly. But a Mac will do too. ;)
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Agreed on the need for some computer. I've stopped doing er9x upgrades that include telemetry unless the new owner has a working computer that will run eepe or C9x. As wonderful as er9x and open9x is, it's still a work in progress. Unlike a hard coded system, features may be added or improved on daily. If the version of firmware you use has issues you're stuck with it or finding someone to flash an update for you. I myself started spending good flying time at the field having to update systems I built as a favor for members without computers. I had to stop doing that as it became a real pain to pack my laptop.
My new rule is,
No computer, no er9x, open9x upgrades. There are many brand name systems that are very good that come with pretty much stable firmware that won't change. Many are not as flexible as a modified 9x but are better suited for non computer user requirements.
Maybe someone around you has a spare computer you can have and then you're all set go?
SM

ShowMaster
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Gavinxman

Post by Gavinxman »

So what then? What upgrades shall I look for as to make it better ? I've heard so many great things about these radios bit 99% of the owners have upgraded the radio so here's what I want it for . Performance quads , planes and WLTOYS v929 quad and v911 heli . Also will the smarty parts and back lit LCD e fine ? I've read that upgrading firmware or smarty pants will really help the radio . Thanks guys !!
kaos

Post by kaos »

performance quads OK (you put your own control board/rx).

I don't think you can use T9X for any of the WLtoy heli/quad. you need WLtoy tx/module to fly those BNF/PNF/RTF.
some one knows better about WLtoy tx may be able to tell you better.

back light definitely helps to view the tx screen.

If you don't fly WLtoy stuff, the best upgrade is (in my opinion) to replace the stock board with a ERSKY9X board, then you have all the mods you read about the stock board already done, except the gimbal.
Last edited by kaos on Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

You could still have it all if someone will mod it for you but having someone close with a computer will keep you up to date with new changes if required.

I don't fly quads so I'm sure if you stay tuned others the do will give you the info you need.
I think we all agree here that upgrading the 9x firmware will be a great improvement you'll want.
About programming.
The SP board has been a no solder programmer that most find super easy yo install if your ok with opening up your 9x and I think remove 5 screws adding the SP board and putting the 5 screws back in. The SP site has the actual details with good how to do it pictures with the actual screw count. There is one got ya. We refer to the 9x mother boards as version 1 and version 2. You could have either board. They both work the same but the V1 board is missing an important pad on the circuit board the the v2 has. If you have a v1 board a one wire solder connection must be done. After that all is good to go. The addition of the back light does require the 9x motherboard removal to add the backlight and then the motherboard and SP board and all the screws are screwed back in.
All simple except the LCD display connects to the 9x board with a tiny flat cable and connector. Extreme care must be taken to unlatch and relatch the connector as well as not tearing the flat cable. Some have been a little to rough and have caused damage. If your gentle like most it's not an issue.
After this install you run eepe or companion9x, both free, on a computer to flash the standard er9x stable version of free firmware and enjoy your new super charged 9x. There is even a simulator in these programs to test your mix settings before you load them. Others can post or email custom mixed to you to load or test in the sim. You can do the same back.
Oh, your 8 model memories will now be 16, you get 8 more!
Telemetry does require much more wiring. All well documented do if you have a friend that folders well you can maybe get him to do it for a free burger and fries. I hold out for a chili dog myself or some wine.

There is another option that some that solder well do. You can purchase a solder in programmer from HK my favorite, and solder 6 wires to the 9x board for USB programming for a cost under $10-11. The HK $5 backlight can also be used but does require a wire soldered to pin 17 of the 9x CPU and a one transistor or FET to control the BL with the 9x. Some just add a small toggle switch or have the BL on with tx power. Very small drain.
So SP of solder in and a computer when you need to update the firmware or mixes and your good to go.
I'm not being disrespectful when I suggest a friends cast off or a good will computer if money is tight. It just has to work and run the free programs and have a USB port. You'll be glad you did it.
Please ask more questions if you have them and I'm sure others here will try and help you.
Update your profits to show more about your location and you may find someone close on here that would do the upgrade with/for you. I've done many for locals, if they have a computer or access to one.
SM

ShowMaster
Gavinxman

Post by Gavinxman »

Ok so I bought a new lap top today or new to me lol. It's a HP and still like new so now I'll look into the upgrades a littler more . A 9x with back lit and smarty pants would be good for now . Or 9x with the USB port in the battery compartment , firmware update anything better than stock I'm sure would be good and I could go from there . Soni guess I'll just buy a new 9x and do the mods myself. I mean just because there a new firmware every other week does that mean it total nesscery to do it ? If the tx is working fine then just be abuse someone hack doesn't mean I'll need to always have to get it ? Does it ? Thanks
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

No, you don't need to keep updating the formware. If you have a version, and it does all you want, you are fine. It may be, however, you would like something added in an update, then you do the update.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Gavinxman

Post by Gavinxman »

Thanks that's my point . So I'd like to get a 9x with at the lest decent firmware as I'm sure you guys know wich one Will do with LCD back lit Thanks again guys
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

The easiest no solder install for programming and a led backlight should be the new SP board. I've only used the older versions so I can't comment in the latest. I don't think anyone's done a real review on ease of installation but mine were easy.
This would get you going right away and having a computer now will let you try er9x or open9x. Both offer so many features.
There are other version FW's also but the two above are discussed more here it seems.
Telemetry and alarms and voice require much more circuit modification and part addition to the stock 9x. The simple work around is to add the Frsky DJT module and receiver to your 9x. The DJT is a plug in replacement for the stock 9x module that has telemetry built in. So does the matching Frsky RXs.
Frsky does sell a plug in Dashboard display that plugs into the data connector on the back of the DJT module. It will display the telemetry data and let you set the alarms. No soldering required. It's a little clunky because if the cable and display mounting but it works and again, no soldering required.
So these are some options you can do yourself if you don't solder or find someone to solder for you.

There is also the drop in ersky9x board but his custom supply is limited and there is a waiting time as well as a list but well worth the price if you can get one.
There are other custom boards but j have no experience with them?
Labor cost is the only real limitation you have to work out with someone else doing the mods to keep the price low as well as added shipping back and forth. Someone local ( update your profile location please) or you doing the work is the best option.
I'm sure someone will want to sell a working upgraded system but be ready for the $$ amount.

ShowMaster
Gavinxman

Post by Gavinxman »

Ok the guy that has the waiting list who might that be ?ink ? I'll update my profil info lol. I can solder I'm a ham radio operator and have many radios I've down little mods to also I have a true electronic engineer that's a very good friend of mine and he's great at anything with circuits . So the most confusing part for me is knowing what to buy and from where ? I know the v2 Turnigy 9x is the radio of my choice and there in stock at the HK USA store $63 and so if there's a link or one stop shop for all other parts needed to do mods that would be all I need seeing bows no one has offered any thing for sale here this far . So with that said ill order new everything and get it done myself . I did buy a new Mac book pro last night so now I can get off this damn iPhone lol. I will miss tapatalk for sure !!!!! Maybe I can get it running on the Mac book . Any links to what to buy and from where Wouk be great guys . THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED ME !!!! You guys are GREAT!!!! Thanks again!!!!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

there's a shop in the US where you can buy all the frsky stuff.. they match HK's prices, they're fast and have a great costumer service. alofthobbies.com
Here, if you decide to do the telemetry mod using a level converter get this one

http://www.alofthobbies.com/frsky-recei ... -lite.html

for the frsky module with telemetry, this one

http://www.alofthobbies.com/jr-transmit ... odule.html

There will be a nearly solderless solution for the telemetry. It's a board called TelemetrEZ. you can read about it on this forum and I think will be in production soon. Then you don't have to do the fine soldering on the CPU pins anymore. But you might have to wait a couple weeks for it to be available..

I hope it helps,

Joao

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I'll second your comment on all the great help available here. I do try and help but I receive more than I can ever give.

Has anyone here that's done the mods for others ever come ip with a reasonable labor cost? I've done many for club members in exchange for other favors or to get more in service so we can share mix and programming ideas?
Free just doesn't work I'm afraid. Putting a price on it gives it importance to all involved. I've learned that over many years of ham and RC repair. So lets see what we can come up with including postage reimbursement.

About total cost.
Being in the states Aloft Hobbies has everything you need except the $5 HK backlight.
So
Radio* cost $
Level converter* -Aloft or a max32 from eBay $5 range.
Programmer* USBasp solder in type $5 Hobby King my favorite or eBay.
Solder less ** Smartieparts very popular good support A1 product see site for cost and install details.
Tx module for telemetry* Frsky DJT $22~ Aloft hobbies
RX for telemetry * 4, 6, or 8 ch Aloft Hobbies $22-25 range.
Back Light* HK $5 your choice of colors. I like the white myself. A FET is usually used as a control switch. $.10 but shipping can add to that. Maybe some here from members.
Haptic( vibration device)* $5 or less. Small cell phone or motor type device. $5 or less or free. Depending on where you find one. More sources on that later.
Wire and servo type plugs*
Lets say $5. It's nice to be able to separate the case halves and the adding connectors to mod wires is the way I do it.
Hot Glue* $.99.9 store. Used to tack sites down.
Soldering iron with fine tip* your cost?
I bought a great temp control one from HK for $15
That's the costs I can think of that you need. Final cost will depend on TX and what you use for your programmer.
The labor of course depends on who does it and any shipping costs if you do have someone else do the work.
If you have the tools and a good friend that solders well the cost can be kept very low as you can add up.
Welcome aboard what ever way you go.

ShowMaster
Gavinxman

Post by Gavinxman »

So would someone mod a new 9xfor me ? Er9x , blue backlit , USB for future software upgrade , lipo battery should be good . I want be flying fpv or $1000 "-10000 birds but I'm wondering if you guys do trust this tx and rx to $1000-$10000 birds ???? That's my trannier conserns ! He's all over me about buying a $60 radio lolo. But it's got to be up to par with all the user out there ? Right ? I mean I can get almost any radio around $400 but why ? If the 9x will do the job for $60+ what another $40 for Mods??? Thanks
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I'm flying a $3k machine with my 9x - however it doesn't really count as it would come and land itself in case of problem :mrgreen:

Anyway, I never had any crash not caused my myself on about 8 models. I wouldn't fly anything serious on the stock RF though, FrSky upgrade mandatory IMO.
kaos

Post by kaos »

ShowMaster wrote:I'll second your comment on all the great help available here. I do try and help but I receive more than I can ever give.
Second to that. have a beer for that comment. ;) feel the same way.
Albeit it is still very nerdish. :lol: :lol:

Gavinxman:
there are people if they don't spend 500 US for a Tx they think it is not reliable or good. It is all in their head. ;)
I don't think there is any 'name brand' Tx has been dissected and scrutinized as much as this one. If there is any fault/defect/insufficiency, the nerds around here will pick it apart. :mrgreen:
But very few people would open up a 5-600.00 Tx to analyze/dissect it under microscope. Especially, those Tx stated 'if you open your tx you void your warranty'. They don't want you to look at it so if there is a problem, it can't be found. that is the way I look at it. ;)
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Gavinxman wrote:So would someone mod a new 9xfor me ? Er9x , blue backlit , USB for future software upgrade , lipo battery should be good . I want be flying fpv or $1000 "-10000 birds but I'm wondering if you guys do trust this tx and rx to $1000-$10000 birds ???? That's my trannier conserns ! He's all over me about buying a $60 radio lolo. But it's got to be up to par with all the user out there ? Right ? I mean I can get almost any radio around $400 but why ? If the 9x will do the job for $60+ what another $40 for Mods??? Thanks
Another option, a little more money but what an upgrade!
Order a new 9x
Order a Frsky DJT module $22
Order a Frsky 8 Ch Rx $25
Frsky from aloft hobbies
Or HK and wait.
Finally order this
http://www.ersky9x.net/
Upgrades if you have a little extra $

http://www.ersky9x.net/Products.html
It's a custom drop in board that will super charge the 9x. I'm flying a beta of the latest version and it and the Frsky rf link and telemetry is solid!
With minimal soldering required you can use and display all the telemetry data on the LCD display as well as alarms.
The board supports full voice announcements for custom alarms and battery voltages used tx and RX.
You can be in the air the next day or sooner depending on your soldering ability of 11 wires and a resistor and cutting the circuit trace on two of the tx module pins to allow their use for the telemetry.
2 wires for a new battery connector,
2 wires that get the module telemetry into the board.
2 wires for the backlight
2 wires for the vibration device of choice.
2 wires for the speaker.
1 wire and one resistor mod to the Frsky module for telemetry into the tx through the module pins.
For connection to the board interface pins a standard FM servo wire can be used so only one ones needs soldering.
To program your board without having to cut a USB access slot Brent does sell a solder less USB cable system that replaces the charge tx charge jack. It does have spare wires so the charge option is not eliminated.
Also some options and supplied parts come pre wired and may require less soldering than I've listed.
As always to be able to give an honest review of products I beta test, I paid for my boards as any others would. I don't endorse what I don't pay for.
My dx7 with factory RXs has lost 3 planes due to link loss. So far in 2 years I've not lost one plane to link loss with the Frsky system. Not one plane due to a er9x failure, and in the last months, not one plane to the ersky9x Frsky system. I also like that it warns me with a nice voice warnings as well as a hello when I turn it on. No in flight snacks offered however.
SM

ShowMaster
Gavinxman

Post by Gavinxman »

Ok so I've found a turnigy 9x v2 with frsky module , 2 frsky rxs 1 with telemtry and the screen also , back lit LCD , alarm and vibration , running er9x for $125 all frsky parts are new and there 2 sensors , voltage and temp . Radio has a little nick on the bottom rh side . The guy bought a dx8 . So what do you think ? Do I need to ask anymore questions ? He's been taking to me about it for 2 days and he's in ga and I'm sc thanks
Gavinxman

Post by Gavinxman »

Oh guys my friend will be using this on a new iconic x fpv quadcopter with a very hard to get cc3d flight controller that was just released last week . He will have a gopro for now but aiming for long range fpv and Will have $1200 in it when done for fpv but for AV will be $600 other birds a new Armattan 375 performance quad that very fast and a AJ slick 60" and another 3d hobby shops 540 extra 51" . All these but 2 are ready to be flown but his dx8 was stolen so Hes really looking for a SAFE DEPENDABLE TX for around this $125 price range as it will be a few months before he can get another dx8 . I mention the 9x for $60 and smarty pants
kaos

Post by kaos »

I don't know about that. If he insists get another DX8 then get another DX8. Radio transmission is VOODOO. I don't know any system can say that tx/system never lose a plane. Because it is not downed by Tx , it is downed by radiowave.
If you talk him into T9X and he loses his 1600 plane, He will blame on the T9X and you.
If he is looking for a another tx, then I would recommend to him. It is psychology. You don't want to loose a friend because of that. ;)

Besides, no 'pants' can be that 'smart'. :lol: :lol: :lol: sorry, can't help it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Ok, knowing the whole story does change things. As suggested, back away from giving a recommendation. With all that investment in his flying stock, anything that causes a crash will get blamed. You and the radio you recommended I'm sure.
Price doesn't make the link solid but in his mind as many others it does.
No way would I trust a stock $100-$125 radio from china without swapping out the rf system for a solid one like Frsky.
Spektrum for many is a good system but myself after losing 3 great planes to a lock out link loss I jumped ship.
No knockoff RXs were in those planes, all Spektrum $80 RXs.
Over a year and a half flying every week and never a loss of control or the Frsky link.

ShowMaster
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I had once a D8R receiver dying on me but I guess it was my fault. never really found the cause but I suspect that I inverted the polarity of the voltage divider. had another old D8R locking on the bench but never did again even trying hard to reproduce the problem.. apart from that, never lost signal. had a couple of single beeps but I read that it is normal.. I use it on my expensive nitro aerobatic plane. I think I can say that the link is rock solid..

Joao

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Gavinxman

Post by Gavinxman »

ok so he got another dx8 but are the flysky as good as turnigy? and the 9x turnigy with the frsky module ? does that really make it a better tx ? i found a FLYSKY for 4$60 SHIPPED NEW and id like to run it on a few profile planes and a $100 quad . ive read and heard great things about the 9x radios but it get lost in translations lol THANKS GUYS FOR ALL YOUR HELP http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-th9x-r9b- ... radio.html
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

FlySky with a Frsky DJT module and Frsky RX, and er9x or open 9x will be a solid system for a lot less than a DX8.
If your friend uses the orange brand or other non Spektrum x model RX your upgraded 9x will be actually better!
FlySky is my favorite brand, Turnigy is next. Better quality control, same TX.

ShowMaster

Return to “Where to buy / Spares / Modules? Selling up?”