DSM for dummys?

Like DSM2/DSMX? Want to mod your radio to support it? Post your messages here!
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Re: DSM for dummys?

Post by Rob Thomson »

Lol.

I am just wanting more people to jump in and work on the wiki.

To easy to say... this should be on it, then expect someone else to do it :-)

Rob

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I will do that.. I'll have to check where to put it.. but the problem is that right now I'm a little tied up.. will do later..
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
pmullen503

Post by pmullen503 »

calla969 wrote:I am preparing to install the DSMX module from my DX5e inside my TX case. I have been able to find plenty of information on performing the mod, but I haven't seen much regarding a switch to go between the DSMX module and the module (FlySky for now, FrSky in the future) on the back of the TX. Can anyone explain to me the best way to do this? I am pretty new to performing this type of mod, so I understand that most may not need this explained since it is just a simple switch, but I don't want to screw anything up.

I also would like to retain my DX5e's ability to be used as a buddy box, so I would rather not take it's voltage regulator. Would this http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/STM ... q4z%252by3 work in it's place?

Thanks in advance for any help.
I used a DPDT switch to switch off the Vbat to the UBEC I'm using to power the Spektrum module and the PPM. The switch is mounted below the stock antenna (which now serves the Spektrum module) where I won't hit it accidentally. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1691703

I used a HP6DSM for the module donor and I can still use it as a sim/buddy box for my DX6i. Not sure what you would have to do to use DX5e with the 9x.
calla969

Post by calla969 »

Thanks for the response. So, do you have to remove the external module when using the DSM module, or do you just leave it there powered on?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I don't think I have wiki editor rights, do I?

pmullen503

Post by pmullen503 »

calla969 wrote:Thanks for the response. So, do you have to remove the external module when using the DSM module, or do you just leave it there powered on?

I do remove the external module when I use the Spektrum module. You must also switch the PROTOCOL=>DSM2 and DSM TYPE=>dsm2only for Spektrum.

There are other ways to do the mod. Putting the spektrum guts in an empty module case keeps the radio insides clear. This going to be my "parkflyer radio" with Spektrum or Flysky receivers.

I plan to get another 9x with an aftermarket main board for the Frsky + telemetry.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Programmer's connector picture is up already.. Done.. One less thing on my list.. can I go fly now? thanks.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
mbanzi

Post by mbanzi »

calla969 wrote:I also would like to retain my DX5e's ability to be used as a buddy box, so I would rather not take it's voltage regulator. Would this http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/STM ... q4z%252by3 work in it's place?
That regulator should work looking at the specs. I used this one from Digi-Key: RT9164A-33GG (similar to the one in the DX4e), but the SMD version will be harder to solder than the TO-220 case.

This is a link to the PDF data sheet for the DX4e AZ1117 Series regulator.
calla969

Post by calla969 »

Thanks for the help guys. I think I understand well enough what I need to do. Really appreciate it.

clearsking

Post by clearsking »

I recently received my USB programmer and re-flashed the TH9X TX to the ER9X program. Everything went well without a hitch and program completed successfully. Here is the problem, using an Orange RX RC610 receiver on and flashing in bind mode I then hold the trainer switch while turning on the Transmitter and can see the LP4DSM module light turn on, but then I wait and nothing happens to the Orange RX, it just keeps on blinking. I have the TH9X protocol set for DSM2 and LPT4/LPT5. Also tried it with DSM2 only with a Blade MSR and still got nothing (no bind). I used the 3.3vdc power from the TH9X to power the LP4DSM module from a Hobbyzone Champ.I also have a DPDT switch wired to go from stock to LP4DSM module. I can use some help if anyone out there has run across any situation such as this. Thanks
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Have you disabled splash screen and have no alerts at boot?
DSM won't bind if you have the splash screen or if an alert shows up.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Kilrah wrote:Have you disabled splash screen and have no alerts at boot?
DSM won't bind if you have the splash screen or if an alert shows up.
I think you've solved what's going on with my DSM setup I just finished.
I used my sky9x board that plals audio at setup and has the splash screen flying in saying open9x.
I think holding the trainer switch creates an error message as well. I'll try all this again first chance and document what goes on.
So after setting the DSM protocol in the menu to dsm2 and dx4/5 you day I need to disable all splash and maybe my sign on audio?
My install is in a module do I can transfer it to a modified er9x with the frsky mods in it.
What's a good firmware to run to get this all working and is ther a menu option when using dsm2 to stop all the logos and startup error messages.
I haven't read about this before your post?
Thinks for the info.

ShowMaster
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

You can use splashes and stuff with no problem for everyday use, they only have to be disabled when binding.

The reason is that the DSM module will only accept a "bind" command if it receives it very shortly after power up. As no data is sent to the module until after the splash screen and alerts have been dismissed, that timeout has expired by the time the radio starts sending the command.

Ideally the firmware would skip these autiomatically if protocol = DSM AND the TRN switch is held...
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Thanks everyone, I think I'm good to go now!
After a good nights sleep it's all working. I did disable the splash screen so now I'm going to try it with and without just to see where it goes wrong if it did at all. I do think the Spektrum binding plug i was using was damaged so I tried it all with a new orange RX and it's binding plug at it worked first time. Using the same binding plug on the 6200 RX also worked right off? I threw the Spektrum binding plug away and I'm using the one from the orange RX now. So if I can't make anythign fail again on the bence bind wise, I'll fly it and see what happens. I asked I think but don't remember getting an answer, it there a low power range test mode in er9x for the DSM mode? Since this is a module I can use it on my ersky9x or my other er9x systems. I plan to try open9x on one TX for the added features. The Sky board offers the most upgragable options so that may become my main TX in the near future now that I'm slowing down on helping others get their er9x systems working.
Also I did see where a 220ufd cap was used on the new 3.3v regulator mod but I only had a 47ufd. I didn't want to take too many parts from the DSM TX. If it is needed I'll pick one up ASAP.
SM
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

ShowMaster wrote:it there a low power range test mode in er9x for the DSM mode?
Yep, in er9x the module is in range check mode anytime custom switch SWC is ON.

In open9x there's a menu option next to the protocol selection.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Kilrah wrote:
ShowMaster wrote:it there a low power range test mode in er9x for the DSM mode?
Yep, in er9x the module is in range check mode anytime custom switch SWC is ON.

In open9x there's a menu option next to the protocol selection.
In open9x what is the menu option name I'm looking for please?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Just go at the bottom of model setup where you set protocol, and the 2nd line has a big RANGE label. Press menu on that to enter range check. Pretty self-explanatory :)
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Kilrah wrote:Just go at the bottom of model setup where you set protocol, and the 2nd line has a big RANGE label. Press menu on that to enter range check. Pretty self-explanatory :)
Ok I found the range option, thank you.
What does the RXnumber mean? I see can select 00 upwards. It this a model match type setting?
Sorry to ask so many question. Is this all spelled out in a link I should be reading up on?
Thank you.
SM
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Yup, model match.

Not sure everything's in the wiki, but there's some.
kaos

Post by kaos »

ah, the Alert shows up is probably the main problem. I did bind the orange rx many times successfully without disable the splash screen. Never read about this before today.

edit: but i did disable the splash name to off. (my name is already on the splash screen. ;) )
Last edited by kaos on Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
clearsking

Post by clearsking »

Can't seem to find the splash screen going through the setup of the ER9X firmware, I downloaded and installed the newest version before I flashed. Do I have to use the EEPE program to disable the splash screen?
kaos

Post by kaos »

should be on the Tx set up menu 1st page (left button, long press) , scroll down to 'splash screen'- on/off and 'splash name' - on/off
clearsking

Post by clearsking »

OK I found the splash screen by holding the left button to get into general setup menu, however with protocol on DSM2 and DSM2/DSMX it still does not bind to orange RX RC610 model.
Ozzy

Post by Ozzy »

Kilrah wrote:Just go at the bottom of model setup where you set protocol, and the 2nd line has a big RANGE label. Press menu on that to enter range check. Pretty self-explanatory :)
I have the latest stable ver R708, I can not find the "range check" any where in the menu's. I looked in the change log file and searched for "range" and no hits.

Did it get updated after R708?

Can you tell me left or right long click and what page #?

Thanks in advance!
Oz
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

The RANGE on the model setup page relates to open9x. ER9x works differently, range check is active when custom switch SWC is ON.

r708 is veeery old, er9x is at r733. Up to you to decide if you want to stay with "stable" versions that get very rarely updated or if you're OK with new features but the odd issue. Every released version is safe to fly, but a little oddity is not excluded and not all functionality might be 100% finished - for example at this point in r733 a few telemetry page settings are not saved on power off, voice support is not completed,...
clearsking

Post by clearsking »

Just wanted to thank everyone for their help first of all. I finally solved the problem I was having with the LP4DSM module not binding. Seems that when I was soldering the 47k resistor the trace broke off on the circuit board, since the photo showed multiple locations of the signal and 3.3v I decided to use the upper location to the right for the signal of the PPM wire. Well the module did light up when the trainer switch and power booted up the TH9X but that was it (no binding to a R610 Orange receiver). After going over all the settings like splash screen and protocol in the setup I decided it was more than just a software issue. I suggest to use small wires connected to the module first as attempting to solder a 1/4 watt axial resistor may cause the board to overheat and circuitry may lift off giving an open circuit. Sorry I did not take any photos of this dilemma but the install guide shows a nice photo of the LP4DSM board here:

http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/ ... s_you_need
Angoradreng

Post by Angoradreng »

Hello, newbie on this forum.

And have a Q.

If I use this guide : http://www.hacksmods.com/2012/07/hp6dsm ... -wired-up/

>Does the antenna from the DX4e module still remain on the Spectrum module , inside the 9X casing ?
>I have plans on using the mentioned switch in the trace pin 7, if i do that will the Spectrum module not just be using the built in antenna ?
pmullen503

Post by pmullen503 »

You'll have to use the DX4e antenna and relocate it to the 9x. Usually you put it in the stock antenna location. Here's how I did it: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1691703.
Angoradreng

Post by Angoradreng »

So i have to Mount both antennas?
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Unfortunately both transmitting circuits need their own antenna. Before the question is asked, no you can't add a switch to the antenna coax and switch between module circuits to one antenna.
There are ways to do it but not at our technical level.

ShowMaster
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Return to “DSM2/DSMX Mods”