Audio (voice) - Stock 9X PCB

er9x is the best known firmware. It has a superb range of features and is well supported by the community. Well worth trying out.
MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Audio (voice) - Stock 9X PCB

Post by MikeB »

No, I haven't put the settings into the EEPROM yet, not sure whether eepe will preserve them.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

argo

Post by argo »

argo wrote:Hi all hoping to tap into your collective experience for help.

Have finished wiring up my audio mod, updating to ER9X-772...but get no audio out :? I have programed the radio to PiSpkrVoice and programmed one voice safety switch to the AIL TX switch for testing.

Here is what I observe:
  • Backlight switching via new interface cct works fine.
  • If I turn the radio on and put my ear on the speaker I can just hear a burst of tones (not voice), pause, and then another burst of tone. This as the TX goes through Splashscreen then to Model display.
  • If I activate my AIL switch I hear one burst of tone, putting switch back again gives another burst (I programmed "BOTH" option on safety switch).
  • If I do all this with the SDcard out I hear nothing at all.
Seems to me the logic of TX, Interface & Audio-Module is working fine. However the audio part of the audio-module is dead. What are your thoughts guys? Anyone seen this before?

Many thanks, Argo.
Ok guys found the answer to this - it was the SD Card. This weekend I went and bought a new card (smallest I could get - 2GB) and did not even format it. I just copied the WAV files to root and voila all was well! Very pleased to know it was not my workmanship, although I should have tried a new SD Card before blaming the Voice Module :?

Now that I can finally get into the programming side, a couple of questions please :)
  • What series of voice files are referenced by the firmware (eg: 0028 obviously is at the welcome message plays automatically)
  • What series of voice file need to be Voice-Switch enabled?
  • Does anyone else notice a low level background audio hiss when playing a message? I only notice it with the speaker in free-air but just wondering if its my module or that's 'standard'?
FYI: RS Components have a cool little 40x25mm speaker that fits perfectly in the speaker space. Here it is: http://newzealand.rs-online.com/web/p/p ... /756-4609/

Big thanks to Mike and everybody that brought this cool mod to fruition.

Cheers, Brendan.

EDIT: Think I may have found a "development need". When setting timed repeat on a Voice Switch, should the message not play immediately and then repeat as per the time set? Mine repeats, but needs the time set to elapse before playing for the first time (does not play message immediately).
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Hi, the timed custom switch is in a loop, so when you flick the switch to hear the info, the C.Switch might just have turned off and you have to wait till it comes on again and trigger the voice..

if you're using my files, the welcome message has some background noise (hiss). forgot to remove it.. didn't pay much attention to it as it is only used on startup..

If you go to a safety switch or a voice switch and enable it to play a sound you can see the numbers that are selectable.. any of those can be played with a switch..

There are some files, like radio battery low, flight batt low, etc that can't be moved, they must have that file number.. on my next sound package release, I will mark the files (on the sound list.doc) used by the system that can't be moved..

João

P.S. - good that you made it work.. :)
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
argo

Post by argo »

jhsa wrote:Hi, the timed custom switch is in a loop, so when you flick the switch to hear the info, the C.Switch might just have turned off and you have to wait till it comes on again and trigger the voice..

if you're using my files, the welcome message has some background noise (hiss). forgot to remove it.. didn't pay much attention to it as it is only used on startup..

If you go to a safety switch or a voice switch and enable it to play a sound you can see the numbers that are selectable.. any of those can be played with a switch..

There are some files, like radio battery low, flight batt low, etc that can't be moved, they must have that file number.. on my next sound package release, I will mark the files (on the sound list.doc) used by the system that can't be moved..

João

P.S. - good that you made it work.. :)
Thanks jhsa.

So if flicked in normal operation the time-loop C.Switch will normally play instantaneously? You are saying I was just switch-flicking too fast?

Yes, just realised the hiss was from the welcome message. First thing you hear when powering the voice module for the first time :D

Nice idea about marking the sound file document, just so its easy to seee what should play in normal settings. By the way your Inactivity Alarm scared the hell out of me! ;)

Very glad to have this working thanks. It will keep me entertained for weeks :D :D
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

So if flicked in normal operation the time-loop C.Switch will normally play instantaneously? You are saying I was just switch-flicking too fast?
I normally use a switch to trigger a loop that tells me the flight battery and tx battery voltages in a loop.
That uses a timed custom switch that is always turning on and off. if you trigger the voice with your physical switch and the c swuitch just turned off, it will wait till it turns on again to send the information to the sound module..

Joao

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Just suppose it was possible to have a small number of extra switches (3 or 4), and either you get more custom switches, or you get more safety/voice switches. This would be hard coded it's one or the other, no programmable choices.
Which would be more useful?
Clearly, for those without the voice mod, only custom switches would be any use anyway.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Hi Mike, What would be hardcoded? In case of voice switches, the switches themselves, or a function? what you mean by no programmable choices? you mean that we could chose how many voice switches we want, as we do now, but there would be already 4 of them hardcoded as a base??

I vote for more voice switches, and I explain why.
For real time info when flying, We can use 2 custom switches to create a loop. ex:
(This is what I actually have on my planes)

SW1 TIME OFF 10 ON 5 (sw1 will be 10 seconds off and 5 seconds on. the on time in this case is just the time necessary to send all the information that will be in the loop to the sound module, and the off time is the time between 2 repeats.)
SW2 AND SW1 ELE

This is the loop and sw2 will turn on when sw1 is on the on state and the ELE switch is also on..
It would be really nice when we could do something like this.. it would save a custom switch..
SW1 TIME OFF 10 ON 5 ELE ( It would be nice if we could use the physical switches here. at the moment, only C.sw. :( )

But anyway, supposing we use only one loop triggered by a switch we can then chain the events that will be in the loop..
For this we use the voice switches.

VS11 SW2 VARIBL A1=
VS12 SW2 VARIBL BATT (play order in the loop follows sw order)
VS12 SW2............. etc, etc..

So, when you turn the ELE switch on, all this will be played in a loop every 10 seconds or so.. You will have to play with the on and off time to get the desired effect because it depends how many events you have and how long it takes to speak them..

For alarms we can use the safety switches in voice mode. not voice switches, these are the impotant alarms like RSSI, TX battery, flight battery alarm. For example..

SAFETY SWITCHES
CH6 V SW6 55
(Sw6 is a C.SW that will define the value for the alarm (SW6 V<ofs RSSI 45) ).
55 is the number of the file to be played when RSSI go below the threshold.

Now the reason I would choose more voice switches is that we use them for the loops and to program voices to be played when using the switches, for example for landing gear, flaps, etc.. so we will use these much more than the safety and the custom switches.. only the 3 position takes 2 voice switches.

I hope you guys didn't get bored reading this..

João

P.S: - Mike on my planes I'm using a custom switch and a safety switch for the tx low battery alarm.. Is this necessary or the tx batt alarm is hardcoded? thanks..

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Yes, you might get 4 more switches, hardcoded as voice switches, and would be able to select more as now.

Remember the voice queue is 'only' 16 entries long, generate too many outputs at once and some will get lost.

The EEPROM structure stops me from doing: SW1 TIME OFF 10 ON 5 ELE, I don't have the bits to do more than have the custom switches for the extra AND function.
I have been playing with this AND function on a CS set as a timer. I think I have it synchronising so if the extra AND is off, the timer stops, when the extra AND turns on, the timer starts and turns on within 1 second. This may help with the 'turn a switch on and the voice starts, then loops' idea.

Yes, the Tx Battery alarm is hard coded, generates voice message 0046 I think.

I'm busy trying to update eepe at the moment. I want to put the custom telemetry setting into the EEPROM, but eepe will lose them unless it is updated as well. Got that bit done, I'm now trying to get the safety/voice screen updated.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Yes, you might get 4 more switches, hardcoded as voice switches, and would be able to select more as now.
Thanks a lot, You're the Man
Remember the voice queue is 'only' 16 entries long, generate too many outputs at once and some will get lost.
Yeah, if we start playing "Radio Battery" before the voltage (whitch is handy when flight pack has the same voltage as the tx batt) then we might have some problems.. but we can avoid it by creating another loop triggered by another switch. at average 4 entries per event we can use about 4 events per loop. 3 if we also use the what is what thingy ;)
The EEPROM structure stops me from doing: SW1 TIME OFF 10 ON 5 ELE, I don't have the bits to do more than have the custom switches for the extra AND function.
This is really a shame.. it would save lots of custom switches and make life so much easier.. I've been scratching my head trying to give them some use with the audio, but when I think I've found a way I try to select the last option and only see c.sw there. then realise that I can't use it for what I wanted.. so at the moment no use for me.. :(
I have been playing with this AND function on a CS set as a timer. I think I have it synchronising so if the extra AND is off, the timer stops, when the extra AND turns on, the timer starts and turns on within 1 second. This may help with the 'turn a switch on and the voice starts, then loops' idea.
So, after all we might find some use for it. :mrgreen: still incomplete though switches missing.. :mrgreen: I know what you're thinking right now.. João is such a PITA (Pain In The A**) :mrgreen:
Yes, the Tx Battery alarm is hard coded, generates voice message 0046 I think.
Hurraaaah, I can free a C.SW and a Safety Sw... they're quite rare these days :mrgreen:
I'm busy trying to update eepe at the moment. I want to put the custom telemetry setting into the EEPROM, but eepe will lose them unless it is updated as well. Got that bit done, I'm now trying to get the safety/voice screen updated.

Mike.
Mike, as I said at the beginning, YOU'RE THE MAN.. ;) :)

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The extra AND switch only has 4 bits available for it, 16 combinations. 13 are used, 1 for no switch, 12 for the custom switches. While awkward to do, I MIGHT be able to add 3 physical switches, but which ones? There will also be a problem fitting 3 characters on the display for them!
It's a bit more of a change, and might affect some configurations already programmed, but would it be better to have the (9) physical switches, and, say, the first 6 custom switches in this field?

I know that IF I did a complete change to the EEPROM structure things could be better, but I feel keeping it compatible is the safest option.

No promises or timescales, what do people think?

I definately want to get eepe more sorted before I change this. Oh, and I reckon I've saved a few hundred more bytes flash!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Mike, I've noticed the phrase "eeprom change" being used quite often lately.. So maybe we really need one?? I remember we had a couple in the past. I don't really understand what it does involve.. I have an idea of the pros but not of the cons.
I also remember that we used eepe to convert from 1 eeprom structure to another?? and there was a warning the first time we installed that fw version.
It's a bit more of a change, and might affect some configurations already programmed, but would it be better to have the (9) physical switches, and, say, the first 6 custom switches in this field?
I think it might be the best option, after the eeprom structure change ;) :mrgreen:

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
argo

Post by argo »

Want to give something back to this thread, open question: would a fault-finding guide be useful? As my experiences with the SD Card are fresh in mind I have a few tips still bouncing around :-)
Perhaps a guide could be attached to your 1st post Mike?
argo

Post by argo »

Forged ahead and put the attached together. Look ok? Its in RTF format so freely editable.

Cheers.
Attachments
Voice Module Fault Finding.rtf
(4.34 KiB) Downloaded 266 times
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Thanks, I'll put it in the wiki.. actually I think I'll do it right now..

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Argo your Document is on the wiki, go see it and let me know if it is ok.. I hope I didn't miss anything

João

http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/ ... By_Argo.29

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
argo

Post by argo »

Looks good.
I was going to say feel free to edit it if I made any errors, after all English is only my first language ;)
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I REALLY don't want to do an EEPROM structure change unless I have to, there is too much work involved for me.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
argo

Post by argo »

Think I can appreciate that Mike. An EEPROM structure change sounds like a 'clean whiteboard' project, with all the debugging that would ensue!

Just a question still on coding, is much involved to get the Voice functionality on eePe? Honest no pressure meant!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

MikeB wrote:I REALLY don't want to do an EEPROM structure change unless I have to, there is too much work involved for me.

Mike.
Mike we all appreciate what your doing here, and we can't thank you enough. At the end of the day it is your decision to do it or not and I'm sure we all respect that. ( that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to nag :mrgreen: )
No but really, joking apart, I personally feel (by reading the thread) that the present eeprom structure is holding the development back a little bit.. As I said before I do wish I had the knowledge to help you, but even starting to learn now, by the time I could get to your level I would probably be already 6 foot under :D

So, I do the best I can to help with the wiki for example..

The other option with the 9 switches and 6 custom switches as options looks good for the moment.. but I'm sure very soon the eeprom issue will come up again. :shock:

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Argo: I'm working on eepe to get the safety switches page operating as alarm and voice switches as well. Ism this the functionality you are referring to? Or are you asking for actual voice output? I don't think voice output would be very meaningful, there is no telemetry to voice. I'm a bit slow with eepe as I'm not familiar with QtCreator used to develope it, getting better at it though.

I really should do some more work on ersky9x as well, that board is so much more capable, but ersky9x is really just a copy of er9x.
Then my last set of flash savings has introduced a small, but difficult to find, bug. I may have to take them out for now to fix it.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
C.João

Post by C.João »

I would go blindly for an eeprom structure change. I won't even start counting the con's but consider this:

would we ever evolved if we refuse to use fire and start growing our own crops?

(I don't even like it but) if it wasn't for touchscreen systems and dynamic menus, we could still have an phone cal capable calculator on our pockets...

ER9x will probably branch out on 2 or 3 versions sometime soon. if it is for the best, I would branch it now and "cancel" the support on the "old" version.

bear in mind that a "simple" 'windows' program could make the eeprom conversion to the new structure... I would test all features that I can. would flash blindly some untested FW (cos' I have 2 9x's and I can use one on a land vehicle. it wont destroy much and still get it tested.)

I vote for eeprom change! (since it will bring much more good than harm)
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Last time eepe did the eeprom conversion if I remember well..

Joao

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Bear in mind that if we significantly change the EEPROM contents, to add more facilities, the size of model files will most likely increase, reducing the actual number of models you can store.
It's also quite a bit of work to implement. I'll see if Erazz is getting back o coding. We were looking at a V2 er9x (before life/work got in his way), where we did do some major changes, and meant users really did know things were changing.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
C.João

Post by C.João »

we just can't have it all. I can happily live with less models on memory but will live better if they have all the features I need/want/like. it could take time but, so takes life and I don't mind waiting/testing.

lets see what other have to say about this ^^
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

yeah I remember that..

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

MikeB wrote:Bear in mind that if we significantly change the EEPROM contents, to add more facilities, the size of model files will most likely increase, reducing the actual number of models you can store.
But having the *possibility* to store more settings in a model should not increase model size if not used thanks to compression.
So... If you don't use the functionality you don't lose anything. If you do use it - well, it's a trade off you'll have to live with.

IMO it's better to be able to have more features/things even if you have to make a compromise if you want to use them, rather than not having them at all.
C.João

Post by C.João »

I just got a 10Kg servo that has a Atmega8 running at 4Mhz inside. by the way I see this going... Mike, sorry but I have to ask... can you make it run er9x on this servo alone? :D the way you save "some" space on the M64... by 2018 we could have Er9x on this servo link: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... dProduct=2

now. let us just get back to topic :D
argo

Post by argo »

MikeB wrote:Argo: I'm working on eepe to get the safety switches page operating as alarm and voice switches as well. Ism this the functionality you are referring to? Or are you asking for actual voice output? I don't think voice output would be very meaningful, there is no telemetry to voice. I'm a bit slow with eepe as I'm not familiar with QtCreator used to develope it, getting better at it though.

Mike.
Yep I was referring to eePe Safety/Voice Switches etc. I agree with you that actual voice output is not that useful - plus there would be no way to automatically synch the SD Card/PC Voice Files via eePe. I'm just finding the Radio programming via Radio button-presses a little tedious (I know what a whinger!)- now that we are all spoiled by eePe or Companion ;)
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

you could put a voice subfolder on eepe instalation folder with a copy of the files in it..
But as mIke say, there is no telemetry..........yet :D ;)

But with the voice on eepe would make it easier to program the voices and learn how to program.. what a great idea.. :idea: :o

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
C.João

Post by C.João »

my 9x is not going to talk very soon. somehow I can see the audio data being feed over the LCD lines but noting comes out of my 74HC574 the backlight responds perfectly thought.

I guess I've got a "bad" 74.

Return to “er9x”