9x solder and module 2.4 unit

Choosing an RF Module? What modules work? What is compatible with the 9x?
scousethief

9x solder and module 2.4 unit

Post by scousethief »

Well my new Turnigy 9x arrived today ( ill use my old dead one for spares)

My question is , i have 2 units a 2.4ghz corona solder in unit and a Flysky module , the flysky module controls some aircraft and the corona the others , rather than replace the Corona receivers i would like to solder in the Corona unit and use the module on a switch if necessary, the Corona unit uses +/- and ppm.

What would be the easiest way to do this ? im surmising that its not recommended to run the 2 units at the same time ?.....................

pmullen503

Re: 9x solder and module 2.4 unit

Post by pmullen503 »

Study the various examples of the Frsky dht and internal Spektrum module installations. That should give a good idea of where to access power and PPM. A simple DPDT switch can be used to select between the two modules.

It is possible to run both simultaneously to get 16ch using two receivers.
scousethief

Post by scousethief »

Cheers pmullen , if it wont hinder performance i might as well hook up both units, i was just being cautious incase one would interfere with the other
dvogonen

Re: Sv: 9x solder and module 2.4 unit

Post by dvogonen »

There are two reasons for not running two transmitters at the same time:
Two transmitters use twice as much energy as one transmitter. You don't want that.
Running two 2.4GHz transmitters a few centimeters from each other will always have an adverse effect on performance. The result might be anything from next to no disturbance to major disturbance. Hard to know in advance.
I would install a simple switch on the +wire to be able to turn off the internal transmitter.
scousethief

Post by scousethief »

I did that on me previous 9x but the solder in unit was still receiving power from the ppm line , enough to control a helicopter across the room anyway lol.

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Flysky/ Tutnigy low power range check?
I promised but didn't get to it. I'm going to next week. Put both a stock 9x module and a frsky module in a new FlySky 9x and see what the high and low power out is. the Frxkh is easy because it has a defined low power mode it can be put into. The Flysky and Turnigy don't? They have a bind range test button on the module back but I've never actually seen any proof the button of mode works? Some past posts mentioned that this could be a menu option not a button. So I'd Lille to put this rumor to rest with actual proof that anything happens. I could use a list of things to try to lower the power for a range test to see what's actually posable. I'll be using a hand held Spectrum Analyzer used to check wireless mics and it's freq range covers the 2.4G spectrum
Guesses or facts on the outcome welcome as well as things to try.

ShowMaster
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I had already looked into this, and found:
FrSky: high 16dBm, low -17dBm
Stock module: 22dBm, no range check mode that I could find.
Spektrum DX4e module: high 23dBm, low 1dBm
Futaba FASST module: high 15dBm, low -5dBm
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Kilrah wrote:I had already looked into this, and found:
Good info, this should go into wiki.

ShowMaster
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

ShowMaster wrote:

ShowMaster
Thwakkkkk (whip cracking)

Best you get on to it :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Rob Thomson wrote:
ShowMaster wrote:

ShowMaster
Thwakkkkk (whip cracking)

Best you get on to it :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
if we accept the data as being factual I'll do it. I could use a suggestion as what title it should have and what wiki? Er9x would be my thoughts but there is ersky9x. A link post to the best place to post it and I'll do it.

ShowMaster
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

It doesn't really relate to any board or firmware... so I guess it should go in a currently non-existant "general information" page...
scousethief

Post by scousethief »

Judging by the layout on the boards , im assuming i should...
Cut the traces ?
Solder wires to a DPDT switch
Solder each +/- to a leg of the switch

enjoy ?

you know im gonna stuff that up right lol
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

scousethief wrote:Judging by the layout on the boards , im assuming i should...
Cut the traces ?
Solder wires to a DPDT switch
Solder each +/- to a leg of the switch

enjoy ?

you know im gonna stuff that up right lol
if the power source for each is before their regulator inputs and from the same battery source I think a SPDT switch can be used to save extra wires. The battery source (+) to the center pole of the switch and each module (+) wire to either side of the switch.
Makes a smaller mounting footprint. When I do this mod I may use a recessed slide switch so I can't hit it by mistake while flying. One less switch to bump or break off if my tx falls off the bench.
While on the subject.
When the antennas are in close proximity and parallel to each other there is some alteration of the radiated wavefront. This could reflect or redirect the power out depending on how many wavelengths they are apart, powered or not. It's a good idea to have them at 90 Deg to each other as this can isolate there interaction by as much as 20 Db.
Of course removing the unused antenna is the best but this puts wear on the connectors.
I see the new 12-18 ch Spektrums have one antenna straight out and another at a right angle I think in the molded handle. None of this matters if flying close but can be as the planes distance increases and the interaction of the antenna systems becomes an issue due to signal to noise and signal directivity kicks in. A local low power range test may pick this up before flying? The Frsky should because it reports back RSSI and a test can be made with antennas parallel, at right angles, and the unused one removed. This should show what's really going on before it's a critical issue weather flying or just a really long range test on the ground. As for the DSM side powered and the other not, I guess a low power test but the FkySky if used will still be full power do it may overload the DSM module front end?
Either way, normal line of sight is probably OK and really OK for the popular 12in BNF so may have gone to. Wow, 6-12 ft is now 12in. Progress he he?

ShowMaster
scousethief

Post by scousethief »

My other option is............

I have a Parkzone 3ch fm transmitter , now , the planes that i am trying to accomdate because they are fitted with the Corona diy unit are 3ch such as the Parkzone Stryker along with a fair few others , luckily i trim those mechanically so i could get away without using model selection , i just need to find the PPM on that particular tx and i could use that.

Obviously i would prefer to use the 9X but if it is going to be a bit of a pig to get right then it may just be simpler to use the PZ tx.

Return to “RF MODULES”