Sky9x Rotary Encoder Option

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Sky9x Rotaty Encoder Option

Post by MikeB »

I'm not sure we have anywhere to connect the rotary encoder to the processor on the stock board.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

what about the new S_Mack's board?
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

That may be possible, we need to get it's basic functionality going fully, then we might be able to address extras.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Clivew

Post by Clivew »

What is Fortuguese for "Trying to get a quart from a pint pot" :lol:
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

well if I'd remember the Fortuguese word for nagger I would let you know :mrgreen:

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

Clivew

Post by Clivew »

Go on...raid the figgy bank, you won't regret getting an ersky9x ;)
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

At the moment it's not worth it.. I have 2 radios that do more than I need (can't live without telemetry and audio/voice anymore though) and I can't afford an ersky board.. Also I keep faithful to the original spirit of the 9x project.. To hack the hell out of it.. That's how it started, that together with the freedom of the software (and the price of the radio, of course) was what dragged me into this.. I remember when erazz atarted with er9x, everyday was like Christmas.. we just went "woooow, amazing stuff this cheap radio can do now.." Then along came Mike, Bertrand, Romolo and a couple more guys, when we thought that we have reached the end, and now we even have audio, something that I never thought would be possible.. When there's a will (and flash/eeprom ;) ) there's a way.
I'm sure there are a few more nice hacks to come.. I've been following this project very close since nearly the beginning..
So, sky board? maybe yes, but not now and it has no meaning, at least not to me.. But it is good that is available, and hands up to skynorth that has done an excellent job designing it..

Joao

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

hmmmm
kaos

Post by kaos »

Take the Sky board and start hacking it, you will get to a new level of ecstasy. :mrgreen:

stock board with er9x is like inhaling the glue, Sky9x with coming sky9x.bin is the pot. of course there is 'coke' to come. :lol:

you are addicted to it, no hope to get away. :mrgreen:
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

No way, I'm still in rehab because of the stock board and all the hacking.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

If I ever get a sky board won't be for the 9x hardware..
Also I'm waiting to see frsky's new creation.. By what I've read, it will probably do all the sky board does.. let's see the price as well.. ;)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Iksbob

Post by Iksbob »

^_^
Iksbob

Post by Iksbob »

jhsa wrote:Is this only for the sky9x board, or also a possibility fior the stock board?
It should work for both, as well as other aftermarket boards. All of the replacement main boards (that I've seen) keep the pads for the stock clicky (tactile) switches. This setup reuses those pads for mounting as well as for passing the directional switch signals. The signals for the jog dial and select switch go to pads for a 4-pin, 2mm pitch (same as the 9x connectors) pin header. There may or may not be enough space for this header, but it should be easy enough to solder wires directly to the pads if necessary.
Time for etching I think.

Here's the eagle project.
http://db.tt/QiKSqMRi
Could someone try it and let me know if you need the component library as well?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Which version of EAGLE are you using? Mine (4.16) says they are invalid files.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

eagle v5.11.0 - I get invalid files also. The download and zip seemed to work fine, just eagle doesn't like the files. Oh and I just unzipped your project to my eagle folder. It did recognize the project fine.
-Gohst
Iksbob

Post by Iksbob »

the latest... 6.2 i think?

http://www.cadsoftusa.com/download-eagle/

If updating doesn't make it work, try adding this library: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9882625/iksbob.lbr
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I assume this is the EAGLE Light Edition that is free. If so, I can't easily update as I have the full (paid for) version I use for work, I'd have to pay for an update.
Ihave seen references to a ULP you can run that will export the design as a script file we could import into these previos versions.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Romolo
9x Developer

Post by Romolo »

There is something I do not understand in that circuit, if is supposed to be soldered in place of actual switches, what are the screws for ??
How can you screw to the front part of the chassis after it's soldered ?
Am I missing something ?
Iksbob

Post by Iksbob »

Romolo wrote:Am I missing something ?
Not really. The tabs are there to rest against the screw posts as a depth limit. They're not supposed to be drilled or otherwise used with screws. I just used the screws for the sake of showing that everything lines up nicely.
Iksbob

Post by Iksbob »

Ok, noob mistake: the traces in my project are on the "top" layer, which is the same side the encoder part has to be on due to its asymmetrical pin locations. Not only does that mean the encoder couldn't be soldered properly, but solder mounds from the jumper pins (down to the stock switch locations) would prevent the encoder from sitting flat against the board.
The current layout will work if it's mirrored when printed, so it becomes the "bottom" layer. I noticed this after doing photo-resist.
Oh, and it needs to be spun 180° so the '9x switch ground pins match the common pins on the new board. -_-;
Time for a V1.1
Iksbob

Post by Iksbob »

Alright, version 2 and I learned a neat trick along the way:
Though the ground plane doesn't like to stay put when saved and re-opened... It turns back into a polygon.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9882625/NavWheelAdapt2.zip
preston91

Post by preston91 »

Iksbob
I would really like 2-3 of these for my 9x's. I'm willing to pay to defray your development and production costs! Interested??

Paul
preston91

Post by preston91 »

Iksbob
I would really like 2-3 of these for my 9x's. I'm willing to pay to defray your development and production costs! Interested??

Paul
preston91

Post by preston91 »

I got my switch assys from mouser today. Nice!
Iksbob

Post by Iksbob »

preston91 wrote:I would really like 2-3 of these for my 9x's.
I'm willing to do a short run once I get all the details ironed out (which includes figuring out the rest of the etching process). Though really, I'd be perfectly happy to hand off the design to an open source PCB site.
Hippo

Post by Hippo »

I can't wait to see how you mount the posts and install this. I ordered my encoder/buttons from mouser today, and I exported the PCB layout from eagle so I can mill it on my CNC.

Any pictures of the type of posts etc that you'll be using? I want to have all my parts ready.

Thanks,
Dan
kaos

Post by kaos »

Can any one confirm this one is the same as the one sold at mouser?
http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DKSearch ... 3714116063
Iksbob

Post by Iksbob »

kaos wrote:Can any one confirm this one is the same as the one sold at mouser?
The link is broken.
Hippo wrote:I can't wait to see how you mount the posts and install this. I ordered my encoder/buttons from mouser today, and I exported the PCB layout from eagle so I can mill it on my CNC.
I've been lusting after a CNC machine for a while now. Is it a commercial made model, or DIY? The photo transfer and etching went flawlessly (GC brand positive PCBs and developer, 2 parts hydrogen peroxide + 1 part hydrochloric acid for etching) so I guess PCBs are now out as far as excuses to buy a machine goes.
Hippo wrote:Any pictures of the type of posts etc that you'll be using? I want to have all my parts ready.
I just pulled the pins out of a vanilla break-away header. Drill the holes a little smaller than the pins and tap them in with a hammer and then solder.
Yeah, i know there's a non-straight pin there. I drilled the first 3 holes a little too big, so I had to hold those 3 with pliers while soldering them. Drilling small and tapping them in is much much easier.
Mine's all done, installed and working now btw, though I haven't tested the encoder/select section yet. I'll post a vid once I get rid of this annoying stock firmware (it's a brand new radio).
As for production, I'll etch boards if people want them. On the other hand, cutting them out, drilling, soldering and such is looking like more work than I'm really interested in doing at this point. Though for those that are willing to do it themselves, a Dremel work station with a carbide grout removal bit (looks almost identical to PCB production routing bits) works great for cutting the outline and 4 big holes.
PCBs make short work of regular steel cutting tools, but the component holes on this board are all so small that picking up a couple of bits just for the job shouldn't be too expensive. Again, Dremel work station for drilling.
Crucial

Post by Crucial »

kaos wrote:Can any one confirm this one is the same as the one sold at mouser?
http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DKSearch ... 3714116063
CKN10345-ND

Digikey part #
Iksbob

Post by Iksbob »

Crucial wrote:CKN10345-ND
digikey wrote:TSWB3NCB222LFS
Yep. Their pic is of the bottom of the part, rather than the buttons and wheel on top.
kaos

Post by kaos »

Iksbob wrote: Though for those that are willing to do it themselves, a Dremel work station with a carbide grout removal bit (looks almost identical to PCB production routing bits) works great for cutting the outline and 4 big holes.
PCBs make short work of regular steel cutting tools, but the component holes on this board are all so small that picking up a couple of bits just for the job shouldn't be too expensive. Again, Dremel work station for drilling.
I am. :)
Yep. Their pic is of the bottom of the part, rather than the buttons and wheel on top.
Thx. I am going to order some stuff from Digikey. Might as well order a couple of these as well (save some shipping cost) for my 9Xs. ;)
looking forward to your vid.

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”