The Mr. Ersky & Mrs. Bluetooth affair

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
Reacher10

Post by Reacher10 »

OK...I'm not up on all of the bluetooth tech so I think the KISS method works well.

Will this one work: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-Serial ... 3cc6b1d54b

SkyNorth

Re: The Mr. Ersky & Mrs. Bluetooth affair

Post by SkyNorth »

It will plug right into the ERSKY board...

The only down side is the default is 9600 baud.
I have a data sheet that shows a "AT" command that will change it to 115K baud , but I have not tried to yet...
-Brent
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I have the Bluetooth module recommended early on but never soldered to the board due to a recomendation to hold off. A failed shorted BT condition was being looked into. Is this still usable and if it is, what's the current mounting recommendation?
I don't think I've not seen much mention of it being supported currently so I'm just asking to be up to date. I see a BT module picture with a header cable on the ersky9x site.
SM
SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

The RN42 Module will work but soldering it to the board requires some skill. and you could damage something.
By soldering on 4 wires to the module , then you can plug into the COM3 connector. (I think its easier to do)

The other module Reacher10 mentioned is under $10 and comes with the cable (as you have seen )

There is no Bluetooth support as of yet ......Mike cannot do everything , he needs help working on and adding the new features....ANYONE??

-Brent
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Ok on using the com 3 header. Wow, under $10. I guess it pays to wait. I'm in no hurry I just wanted to be ready to test it as a beta test concept when it's implemented. I'll make up the cable. Is there a hookup diagram for the module first recommended? I think it was from digikey but maybe Sparkfun? It's been a while sine that was a hot topic. I'll post my brand and model when I find it in the stockpile of stuff I've ordered this year ha ha.
Other than the added upgraded 3v regulator are there any major changes from the beta sky board in the one for sale on the site?
I changed my audio to run off of the 5v regulator and added heatsinks to mine but kept the original regulators. I thought I'd hold off Untill the final board went on sale.
SM

SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

I'll do up wiring diagram for the RN42 , and the EBay one.

There were a couple of value changes of resistors and the 2.7V zeners are now 3V.
The LCD has a 200R main resistor and a 68ohm "removable" resistor. you leave both in for the Optrex LCD and cut the 68ohm out for the HK Backlight.
the 3.3V regulator is TO220 type , with a heatsink .. , the SMT one had the same ratings... but no were to get rid of heat

-Brent
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

As with some of the rest of the board, I did enough to prove the hardware was working, so I got the BT sending and receiving, then my BT module died and I haven't got round to getting another one, it's on my shopping list! I want to get the other bits I need to upgrade to the TO220 regulator etc.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Reacher10

Post by Reacher10 »

I just happen to stumble onto that one and figured it was a good price. Can we use the RS232 converters that we use for the telemetry mod on the stock board to change the baud?

I'm in no hurry for it to be working, I have to work tommorow but I get off after 2PM...is that enough time Mike? :P
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

If it is a standard command, sent at one baudrate, to change the baudrate, and I think it is, then we can build this into the processor. Just start at a high baudrate and work down until you get a response, the send the command to change to the required baudrate.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Just found my BT module. It's a Sparkfun WRL- 10253 RN-42.
If it's still OK to use I would like more info on wiring it up to be removable using the header. I'm going to get it ready for when it's implemented and then install it.
Next, and I'm sure it was covered but I want to be current, what is the recommended way to replace and mount the new 220 3.3v regulator ic? I also redirected the audio to the 5v reg and do I reverse that mod or stay on 5v? I print and save all pictures of wiring mods when finalized in a ersky9x notebook.
Thanks,
SM
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Just been 'playing' with my BT module (the cheap Ebay one). I've managed to change its name, so now it appears on the PC as "ERSKY9X" instead of "Linvor".

I think I'll add a Bluetooth config menu. Then you can select name, baudrate etc, and it will set them. Probably include a type so the different commands need may be selected.
This module I'm using may only be configured while it is not paired with the PC.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
kaos

Post by kaos »

Are you using v1.02 or v1.03? I have one from ebay too, it says v1.03
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

kaos wrote:Are you using v1.02 or v1.03? I have one from ebay too, it says v1.03
Update
I just tried 9600 baud and still not connecting even though the tablet says its paired. I've tried in the program pins of 0000 and 1234 but no go?

Are you meaning my Sparkfun RN-42?
I'm not sure about the version#.
I know my tx is set to 9600 baud, my netbook BT pairs, 1234 is the pin that works there, Hyperterm XP shows data that turns on and off with the 9x BT menu, my android tablet finds it and pairs, the program finds it and won't pair?
The Samsung tab 2 tablet is returnable over the next 2.5 months but I may try another brand to sort this out?
It may be this program is just not compatible with this OS or model?
Without a terminal app on the tablet ( any suggestions?) I can't narrow it down to the tablet or program?
I did find and read this
http://projects.onomato.biz/projects/an ... /BlueTooth

but I've never connected it directly to my netbook just through BT and only setting baud rate with the 9x menu.
That may be required next.
It's become a quest and learning experience more than anything now. I'm not sure the 7in tablet is practical at the field and I don't own an android phone. Since I have plenty of time left to "borrow" the tablet I'm going to keep at it.
Hopefully other tablet owners with BT and ice cream sandwich OS will see this and comment on it working. I can also order another BT module from eBay if a good working link for the ersky9x is posted as it's not a lot of money to try another one.
I think I'm ready for the sky9x to talk and
get my $270 back on the tablet, after this is sorted out. I'm learning a lot so this is not a loss either way thanks in part to the help here.
SM

Update 8/12/12
I found a club member at my local field with a Verizon android phone and my BT TX found and paired with his phone as I had tried with the tablet snd the program on his phone found worked right off. So I guess the Samsung with Ice cream sandwich won't allow this program to use the RN-42 program connection. Glad I returned it.

ShowMaster
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Last edited by ShowMaster on Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The ersky9x board has two serial interfaces, one used for the telemetry, the other one is 'spare'. I use this other one for debugging. Do you have a means of connecting to this serial interface? I have a hole for a 2.5mm jack plug on my TX, but I have also connected to the three pin header. In either case, I wire out to a 9-pin din connector that goes to a USB to serial adapter connecting to the PC.
As part of my testing, I have a mode setup where anything you send (from hyperterm) to this serial port get sent back on the BT connection, and anythin sent to the BT connection get sent back to this serial port. So I have two copies of hyperterm running, and what I type on one appears on the other. This checks all the connections and the baudrates.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
kaos

Post by kaos »

I have not hooked up my Sky9x board yet. although pretty much has all the components in hand (except the haptic buttton, still deciding whether I want to take apart my old old pager or just get a new one). I am going to get another 9X for this board. My current 2 9Xs are in full usage.
Most importantly , got way over spend on this hobby lately for my FPV........ :mrgreen:
I am watch you guys closely though, keep up the wonderful work and testing. 8-)
Reacher10

Post by Reacher10 »

I should have my BT module by the end of the week. Can we set the buad rate of the BT module thru the Tx or do we need to use the PC?

If we need to use the PC, we need to hook it to a RS232 TTL converter? I have one so thats not a problem.

What program can I use to send the AT commands?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120911600846?ss ... 1497.l2649

Thanks Guys!

Rick
Peter

Post by Peter »

Clivew

Post by Clivew »

Ok, I have my JY-MCU BT module (which is now V1.04 rated 3.6-6v, but seems happy on 3.3v from ERSKY9X!)
It works perfectly with FRS Logger and FRSKY Dashboard apps with my Nexus 7 tablet :D .
Does anyone have any idea why my Bluechip Neon android phone refuses to connect using either app?
It pairs immediately, but just will not connect :x
Think I've tried everything now. The phone id is A502 v2.2.1
Ok it was a cheap phone I know!

Thanks,

Clive
Peter

Post by Peter »

Probably not the default bluez bluetooth stack.
You could try to install a AOSP based custom rom like Cyanogenmod.
Clivew

Post by Clivew »

Thanks Peter! Unfortunately Cyanogenmod does not seem to support this model

Clive
Reacher10

Post by Reacher10 »

I've figured out I can use Hyper Terminal to send AT commands to the BT module. Looks pretty cut and dry. What had me stumped was sending the actual commands.
Crucial

Post by Crucial »

Reacher, just remember that you have to send the whole command at once. It can't be sent a character at a time.
Reacher10

Post by Reacher10 »

OK...I'm not sure I follow you? I came across this web page and figured this is what I need to do.

http://wiki.openpilot.org/display/Doc/S ... +Telemetry

Is this correct?
Crucial

Post by Crucial »

That tutorial does explain what I mentioned.
"The entered text is not visible in Hyper Terminal, if you are unable or unsure that you sent the right command, then copy the letters AT and use the paste to host function from the Edit menu"

What I meant was that when you type the command into hyperterminal you should do it by pasting the whole command at once instead of typing it out letter by letter. It won't work if you try to type the letters of the commands one by one.
Reacher10

Post by Reacher10 »

OK...I noticed that and saw that happen in HT. Thanks for the heads up.
kaos

Post by kaos »

Can I use this to program the BT from ebay like Reacher10 has.
http://www.alofthobbies.com/usb-cable.html
Peter

Post by Peter »

As far as I know it is a ttl cable without power supply.
When you add power it should be possible.
But I think a ftdi cable from hobbyking or rctimer is easier and cheaper. A ftdi does also supply power.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=24779
http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=go ... oodsid=684
Reacher10

Post by Reacher10 »

I'm pretty sure this one will work: http://www.alofthobbies.com/frsky-recei ... -lite.html
Peter

Post by Peter »

That is a rs232 to ttl converter. That will work on a old serial port, not for usb.
kaos

Post by kaos »

since I already have this: http://www.alofthobbies.com/usb-cable.html

I might as well solder a 5V line on the unattached spot, and use it for both purposes, when flashing Frysky module pull the power wire out, program any thing needing usb, then replug the power wire into the connector. ;)

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”