failsafe setting

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
TPE331civil

failsafe setting

Post by TPE331civil »

I am new in this forum.
I'm using Radiomaster's TX-16S and OPEN TX ver.2.3.10.
The FAILSAFE setting doesn't work correctly.
It seems that the servo reverse setting is not reflected in the custom setting, for example, the throttle set to close becomes full throttle!
This is very dangerous.
Is this the OPEN TX's specification? Or is it a bug?

The receiver uses a Futaba S-FHSS compatible corona.

Kilrah

Re: failsafe setting

Post by Kilrah »

What have you configured it to? You need to check the multiprotocol module docs to know what failsafe type each protocol supports.
TPE331civil

Post by TPE331civil »

Hi Kilrah
Thank you for reply.

I configured internal multi module to SFHSS, Module Status V1.3.1.69, Failsafe mode to Custom Set.
I couldn't find any information about failsafe setting in multiprotocol module doc.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

If you set it to custom you then have to go configure the positions you want in the page reached with the [Set] button.
TPE331civil

Post by TPE331civil »

> If you set it to custom you then have to go configure the positions you want in the page reached with the [Set] button.

Of course, I did so.
I move the the sticks to the desired position,then hit the OUTPUT to FAILSAFE button to memory it. This should be fine, right?
However, when turn off the radio, the channel for which the servo is set to reverse does not become reverse and the signal as NORMAL is output.
In the case of Futaba, since the motor channel is set to reverse, FAILSAFE signal is output as full throttle even though it was intended to be slow, which is very dangerous. Does anyone have a similar experience?
Of course, if you know this and do the reverse setting from the beginning, isn't it?

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I have checked (with an FrSky receiver though, don't have S-FHSS nor do I know if there are any limitations on it) and it works correctly.
If the throtle channel is reversed you should have low throttle be about +100%, and once you do channels->failsafe both the bars on the channel should show that value, please post a screenshot confirming that, and ideally your otx file as well.
If it is correct then the multiprotocol module firmware might have an issue with failsafe for that particular protocol.
TPE331civil

Post by TPE331civil »

Hi Kirah.
Now I re-checked my failsafe setting.
I'l attach some screenshots. Please check my setting is correct or not.
screen001 is 'VERSION' page ,it shows my opentx version is 2.3.10
Screen002 shows Multi module protocol is set to SFHSS and firmware version is 1.3.1.69 in 'MODEL SETUP' page.
That is match for opentx 2.3.10.
Screen003 is 'OUTPUTS'. please note ch2,3 are reversed. ch.3 is Motor Channel.
Screen004 is failsafe custom set screen after hits 'channels to failsafe' button with elevator(ch2)-UP, Motor(ch3)-CUTOFF.
It seems memoried correctly, but when I shut off my TX for check failsafe purpose,elevator(ch2) goes DN, motor(ch3) goes HIGH on my motor glider!
Attachments
screen004.jpg
screen004.jpg (38.13 KiB) Viewed 8546 times
screen003.jpg
screen003.jpg (44.47 KiB) Viewed 8546 times
screen002.jpg
screen002.jpg (31.2 KiB) Viewed 8546 times
screen001.jpg
screen001.jpg (29.22 KiB) Viewed 8546 times
103.jpg
103.jpg (25.36 KiB) Viewed 8546 times
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Then you probably need to post that in the multiprotocol module thread in RCG or open an issue on their github. OpenTX sends failsafe to the module in the same way for all protocols and since it's working when that is set to FrSky it could be an issue with how failsafe is handled in the module for S-FHSS.
You might want to update both OpenTX and the module to the current versions first and check again for good measure, and make sure the MPM firmware is AETR version.
planger

Post by planger »

@TPE331civil
I'm the dev of the mutliprotocol module.
Can you confirm that on your RX all the channels are reversed when going to failsafe? Because you are only mentionning channel 2 and 3 but I find strange that only these 2 are reversed and not the others which doesn't make sense to me.
I can do the modification to reverse all channels but since I don't have a S-FHSS receiver I have no way to test therefore I depend on you to assess if it works fine or not.
Pascal
planger

Post by planger »

A test version with failsafe reversed is available here: https://downloads.multi-module.org/latest-test/
What I'm interrested in is the servo throw in normal and failsafe. It would have been too easy for them to use the same channel range for normal and failsafe packets... So I need to know if they match, if you have more or if you have less throw. Basically what I'm asking is to set a channel to 100%, set this channel failsafe to 100% and then compare between the 2.
Pascal
TPE331civil

Post by TPE331civil »

I'm sorry everyone.
The phenomenon that the FAILSAFE of the reversed channel I reported works in reverse was not accurate.
Today I tested again on firmware 1.3.1.69 and 1.3.2.12
As a result, it was found that not only the reversed channel but also the normal channel operates in the direction opposite to the intended FAILSAFE direction.
These are photos of the test on new model setting with ch1(left) in NORMAL and ch2(right) in REVERSE.
FAILSAFE was set so that the servo arms of both channels move toward aft 100% throw (photo1).
When the transmitter was turned off, both servo arms moved in the opposite direction of the setting. (Photo2)
I tried it on any other channel and the results were the same.
Therefore, it seems that the setting of FAILSAFE simply gives the opposite result to the setting.
Then I tested on the test version of multi farmware ver.1.3.2.24.
I confirmed that test result is fine. servo moved to intended direction when radio is off.

Thankyou planger,
I hope new stable version of firmware will be released ASAP!
Attachments
photo2.jpg
(188.57 KiB) Not downloaded yet
photo1.jpg
(190.5 KiB) Not downloaded yet
planger

Post by planger »

@TPE331civil
Fine for the servo reversal in failsafe.
But what about my question of the servo throw in normal vs failsafe? To answer this question, set the mixer of CH1 to MAX +100%, set the failsafe of CH1 to +100%. Does the servo on CH1 move when you turn off/on the radio?
Other tests I would like you to conduct:
- set a channel to HOLD and see if the servo hold the last position when you turn off the radio
- set the full Failsafe mode to No Pulses (not in custom on a channel), does the servo horn turns freely when you turn off the radio?

A stable release will be available when you confirm that the full implementation is correct.
TPE331civil

Post by TPE331civil »

to planger.
This is the test result.
First, I confirmed that mixer setting 100% on CH1(CH2 also).
Then, failsafe custom setting shows 2012.
My screen shows ppmus value so 1500 + 512 = 2012 means +100% right?
Test1, when turn off radio, servo moves opposite direction approx. -90% position not -100%.
Test2, set CH to HOLD, when turn off the radio, servo holds last position.
Test3, set to No Pulses, servo holds last position as same as set HOLD. Servo horns not turn freely.
Attachments
02failsafe.jpg
02failsafe.jpg (34.03 KiB) Viewed 8191 times
01mixes.jpg
01mixes.jpg (28.49 KiB) Viewed 8191 times
planger

Post by planger »

I'm totally puzzled, which firmware version are you using for this test? It should be done on using the nightly link I've sent you previously...
And the mixers of your channels are not set to the source MAX like I asked for...
TPE331civil

Post by TPE331civil »

Oh, now I'm totally puzzled also...
First, Tested hardware and firmware are as follows.
Radio: radiomaster TX-16S, opentx 2.3.11, multi 1.3.2.12 (see photo1 and 2)
Receiver: Corona R8SF(S-FHSS Compatible)
I set Mixer 100% also INPUTS,OUTPUTS.(photo 3,4,5)

Again TEST1 Custom set failsafe 100% (photo 6)
Servo moves opposite direction approx. -90% position not -100% when radio off.
TEST2, set CH to HOLD, servo holds at last position.
TEST3, set to No Pulses, This case is confusing.
Sometimes servo holds at last position as same as set HOLD. Servo horns not turn freely.
But, sometimes servo goto its neutral position then hold, Servo horns not turn freely.

then I changed multi firmware to 1.3.2.24, Test again.
TEST1, OK, Servo moves 100% position as desired.
TEST2,TEST3, exactly the same result as last time.

Are these verification results useful?
However, it may be because I'm using a compatible receiver instead of the genuine S-FHSS.
Attachments
failsafe custom set
failsafe custom set
photo6.jpg (36.09 KiB) Viewed 8168 times
OUTPUTS
OUTPUTS
photo5.jpg (42.92 KiB) Viewed 8168 times
MIXES ch1
MIXES ch1
photo4.jpg (28.23 KiB) Viewed 8168 times
INPUTS ch1
INPUTS ch1
photo3.jpg (26.49 KiB) Viewed 8168 times
multi firmware 1.3.2.12
multi firmware 1.3.2.12
photo2.jpg (36.66 KiB) Viewed 8168 times
opentx firmware 2.3.11
opentx firmware 2.3.11
photo1.jpg (28.53 KiB) Viewed 8168 times
planger

Post by planger »

Ok so apart from no pulse everything seems to work as it should. So let's call it good until I can get hold off a Futaba RX.
TPE331civil

Post by TPE331civil »

Thankyou planger.
I updated multi firmware from 1.3.2.12 to 1.3.2.30 and Confirmed failsafe operating satisfactory.
But I'l report the servo returns its newtral position then stuck in no palse mode.
I 'l use failsafe feature in custom set mode.
Thankyou.
TPE331civil

Post by TPE331civil »

I found a new bug in the failsafe settings.
One channel behaved the opposite for the failsafe custom setting.
The channel had failsafe set to 115.3%.
As a result of the investigation, it was confirmed that the reverse operation occurs when the setting exceeds about plus or minus 103%.
This is the case when the PPM center is 1500us and changing it (eg 1450us)
Reverse operation seems to occur even with a failsafe setting of 100% or less.

Mr.planger
Can you correct this phenomenon?
Attachments
See Ch.7
See Ch.7
failsafe-NG.jpg (34.18 KiB) Viewed 8049 times

Return to “openTx”