Taranis qx7s Bootloader - Firmware - Opentx

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
Jules2007

Post by Jules2007 »

Hi
I bought myself an European Taranis QX7S with open TX installed
If I wanna update the software on this device how do I proceed ?
OpenTX can be upgraded by using the companion software
On youtube there are several separate videos about updating firmware
I have updated OpenTX to the latest version on the Taranis
But there is also something like the bootloader and Taranis own firmware.
So now I got lost. Does somebody have experience in how, what, when has to be done.

Thx in advance.

Caouec

Re: Taranis qx7s Bootloader - Firmware - Opentx

Post by Caouec »

Hi
I followed the first few courses on the OpenTX University website: http://open-txu.org/ to understand how my controller and OpenTX and OpenTX Companion could work together - it doesn't reflect most up to date versions of OpenTX and might not refer specifically to your controller but it is easy to see the parallels and draw analogies. It is worth following that to begin with and hopefully you'll figure it out.
Jules2007

Post by Jules2007 »

Thx for the info Caouec
Yup, http://open-txu.org/ is a good starting point. With Companion I can update the bootloader and OpenTX firmware. So If I understand it wright I don't need the own Taranis firmware on the Taranis website because OpenTX is replacing the Taranis firmware ?
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

Jules2007 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:35 am So If I understand it wright I don't need the own Taranis firmware on the Taranis website because OpenTX is replacing the Taranis firmware ?
You are still mixing things.

There is only openTX on the webside. (And the HF module firmware)

- There is the transmitter operation system - opentx (firmware)

- There is a bootloader firmware, which enables the transmitter operation system to be updated, upgraded or replaced by flashing the opentx firmware (from companion or the transmitter itself) (You don't see this firmware directly, it is bundled with the openTX firmware, you just flash it, to keep the bootloader of the STM32 updated)

- and there is the firmware for the HF module inside the transmitter.

So there are 3 different firmware, which seem to puzzle you. Firmware is just a hex, bin or whatever file to be flashed to a microcontroller, to enable that device to work.

openTX firmware and bootloader firmware go to the STM32 processor inside your Taranis and the HF module firmware go to the processor (type xxx?) inside the HF module, which is inside the Taranis.

So a lot of firmwares :mrgreen:

Hope, I did not write to much c**p here.

cu KH
Jules2007

Post by Jules2007 »

Yes indeed, and after that there is also the firmware of the receiver you will have to update, and do the binding again..... I found out I am using the LBT=EU firmware so will have flash and update everything with LBT.

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”