Turnigy 9x (128 AFHDS 2A) protocol settings for IA6B and binding loss

er9x is the best known firmware. It has a superb range of features and is well supported by the community. Well worth trying out.
neogeo78

Turnigy 9x (128 AFHDS 2A) protocol settings for IA6B and binding loss

Post by neogeo78 »

Hi gents, Mike,

I am folloing the developement of your software since many years now. Many thanks for the efforts you spent!

Some years ago, I stopped the hobby and sold many of my stuff unfortunately the Taranis, too.

Some weeks ago, I decided to get back into the hobby and ordered a Turnigy 9x Mode 1 (128/AFHDS 2A version) from HK for around 40$ (Mode2 Version was around 65$) because i thought it would be a good and cheap restart TX, which will need some modifications and force me to understand how things work together.

I managed to convert it to Mode2 easily and installed the backlight and modified the RF module to be replaceable. After this I managed to solder the ISP into and flash er9x onto it (first 821, now the latest Prov822q testversion I found in this forum). The TX Module is working well with the IA8 Receiver which was included in the Transmitter delivery. Additionally I have two IA6B receivers.

Here comes my problem. As the IA8 is working well, since I changed polarity in protocol settings, I know, that more or less all seems to be ok. But with the IA6B receivers I am not able to get a servo to move (both did work with the stock firmware of T9x). Binding seems to work, as the flashing LED stops flashing and the receiver reacts when I switch of the TX (LED starts flashing slowly when receiver is off and returns to on if TX is switched on). I am not able to find more information on the other protool settings with regard to the IA6 (signal length, channel setting etc..) Does anybody has information what to enter to get IA6B work with er9x and the original AFHDS 2A TX module of the T9x?

The second problem is, that if I bind another receiver to the module it loses the first bound. I have read about this issue and it seems to be a problem of the "not so god" HK module and there might be no solution, but if anybody knows a solution, please tell me.

In a few days I expect the delivery of a JP4IN1 Module because I still have some FrSky receivers from the past, which I want to use.

I wonder if I should wait for the new Multi TX module and give it a try or if there is a solution for the original one. (impatience after so many years of abstinence from this hobby :-) )

Best Regards
neo

amxcs

Re: Turnigy 9x (128 AFHDS 2A) protocol settings for IA6B and binding loss

Post by amxcs »

I have the same problem with iA6B
Does the receiver work with the multiprotocol module?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I don't have any definite answer, I don't have any AFHDS2A receivers or the new Tx module. For the iA6B, I assume it is a 6 channel receiver, perhaps change the PPM protocol settings to only send 6 channels.

I believe the iA6B does work with the multiprotocol module. If it doesn't, then there is a very good chance the multiprotocol module firmware will be able to be changed to make it work.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
neogeo78

Post by neogeo78 »

Last weekend I finally received my Jumper 4in1 Module andinstalled it, I only had to remove some plastic from the connectors in the TX.

Now I can tell you that it works perfect with the iA6B using protocol number 28 or 56 (not sure at the moment). It works like a sharm. I selected the protocol, bound the receiver and all was fine.

I am only trying to get the 9x to display the protocol names instead of the numbers, but this is offtopic.

@MikeB If you need the new protocol model, you can have mine. I have 3d-printed an antenna mount for it and it is now more or less similar to any other interchangeable module.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The Prov822q version should display the protocol names, I assume you have flashed the er9x-128.hex file.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer

amxcs

Post by amxcs »

Very strange, but now everything worked.
What I did..
I flashed with the original firmware and binded the iA6B receiver first.
Then I flashed again with the latest er9x firmware and again I first binded the iA6B receiver. POS to NEG setting. Then I binded iA8 and again iA6B and so several times everything is fine.
The only problem is that the channels of both receivers are mixed up and with Channel Order when I choose AETR it doesn't work.

Edit: I fix the channel order. After choose AETR, delete and create new Model01 and everything is OK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JslG58TpaRg&feature=youtu.be
Last edited by amxcs on Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neogeo78

Post by neogeo78 »

MikeB wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:35 pm The Prov822q version should display the protocol names, I assume you have flashed the er9x-128.hex file.

Mike
I had the er9xProv822s.zip version flashed, only numbers in protocol selection, so I just reflashed to er9xProv822q.zip and still only numbers in protocol selection screen. Is there maybe somewhere another option I have to tick? (of course the er9x-128.hex file)
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Have you done the telemetry mod? You need this to be able to receive data such as the protocol names from the module.
However it should display a name from the flash memory, but not the sub-protocol, although I should be able to add them in for the '128 and '2561 versions.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
neogeo78

Post by neogeo78 »

Oh, the telemetry mod is needed for the display of the names? I thought the 128 version had the names directly in the firmware, because of the bigger memory. No, I did the mod not yet, then it's clear why I cannot see the names. I will check the mod and decide whether it is worth it for me or if I can live with the numbers ;)

I did not had a look at the mod, because I thought it would be only needed if I want to use telemety, but if you capture the names directly from the module, then it makes sense, that the mod is needed.

If you want to have the TX module, send me an pn with your address and I will ship it to you, because I wont use it any more.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

My '2561 radio is displaying the protocol names, but not the sub-protocol names, even with no module present, and I thought the '128 was the same!
Maybe there is something when the mod is not done, so the telemetry code is not running to initialise the name data, I'll run a few tests tomorrow.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
amxcs

Post by amxcs »

neogeo78 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:32 am The second problem is, that if I bind another receiver to the module it loses the first bound. I have read about this issue and it seems to be a problem of the "not so god" HK module and there might be no solution, but if anybody knows a solution, please tell me.
Is it the same with the Jumper 4in1 module?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've just posted er9xProv822t.zip. This improves the display of the multiprotocol subprotocol names on the '128 and '2561 versions.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
amxcs

Post by amxcs »

With multiprotocol module can it remember more than one AFHDS 2A receiver?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Yes as long as you use different receiver numbers for each.
neogeo78

Post by neogeo78 »

MikeB wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:47 am I've just posted er9xProv822t.zip. This improves the display of the multiprotocol subprotocol names on the '128 and '2561 versions.

Mike
I just installed it, and works like a charm, many Thanks!
neogeo78

Post by neogeo78 »

amxcs wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:46 pm
neogeo78 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:32 am The second problem is, that if I bind another receiver to the module it loses the first bound. I have read about this issue and it seems to be a problem of the "not so god" HK module and there might be no solution, but if anybody knows a solution, please tell me.
Is it the same with the Jumper 4in1 module?
I was able to bind more than 1 AFHDS 2A Receivers with the JP4in1
amxcs

Post by amxcs »

Thanks! I will order one.
amxcs

Post by amxcs »

Is it safe to solder the original transmitter antenna to the multiprotocol module?
Or the original antenna of the multiprotocol module must be used?
neogeo78

Post by neogeo78 »

I use the module‘s own. I have attached the Transmitter‘s antenna to the original module with a printed part
amxcs

Post by amxcs »

No, I want to use the original antenna as it is on the top of the transmitter, not on the back of the module. And I ask if it is safe to unsolder the antenna cable from the old module and solder it to the new one.
neogeo78

Post by neogeo78 »

I dont know if they‘re compatible. Maybe the VSWR is not good and you may damage your tx module(s) I would recommend to use the original antenna provided with the module.
Rod99

Post by Rod99 »

I’ll add my 2 cents worth and confirm Kilrah’s post on the IA6B binding loss. I have 2, IA6B receivers and each has a different receiver number in the protocol settings. I do not have to re-bind when I switch models. I have a 5 year old Flysky TH9X running er9x with a Banggood 4 in 1 MPM. Just make sure each receiver has a different receiver number, no duplicates. This works for me.
amxcs

Post by amxcs »

neogeo78 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:00 am I use the module‘s own. I have attached the Transmitter‘s antenna to the original module with a printed part
The antenna cable is very long, is it a problem to push it into the module box or can it be cut to the required length?
neogeo78

Post by neogeo78 »

I pushed it in, there is plenty of space.

Return to “er9x”