FrSky X10s

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
Suncoaster

FrSky X10s

Post by Suncoaster »

Is there a version of erskyTx that will run on the older X10s available. A friend has one that he no longer needs as he has upgraded his radio, and he has offered to sell me this radio. It currently has OpenTx on it and have no desire to learn to use it as I would rather stay using erskyTx. I noticed that thread on the X10s Express and I believe this radio uses the later Access protocol, and while I believe the X10s can be upgraded to Access there is a lot more effort to upgrade all my gear to this protocol and I do not wish to do so at this time.

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: FrSky X10s

Post by MikeB »

Not at present! I don't have a X10, so I haven't been able to do a complete port.
However, since I have the X10express working and the T16, I should be able to build a version.
If you would be prepared to test it for me, then I will do that.
I think the main (only?) area that will need sorting is the internal module. If you have an external module (XJT or multi-protocol) that should work.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

I would certainly be willing to test it for you. I have a multi module that I am using on my Q X7 so I could use that in the meantime. I will make him an offer for X10s as soon as he returns home. He is in isolation at the moment and is not due to come out for the next week or so.
I will be in touch as soon as I have the radio.

Dave
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

Mike,
I should have the X10S in my hands sometime this week so I will be able to start testing when you have a chance to build a version for it. There is no hurry for it, I know you have a lot of competing tasks on the go, and we are under a no flying regime for the foreseeable future.
I have just made a donation via Paypal maybe also have a drink on me, just not corona :lol:
Dave
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

Mike,

Some restrictions have been lifted here, and we are able to fly again, so I will be able to test this version as soon as you ready to build it for me. What effect will upgrading the iXJT firmware to 2.1 have on your build as I am considering upgrading all my equipment to this new version, as the new rx I just bought appears to have this loaded on it.

Dave

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Module firmware at 2.1 has no impact on erskyTx.

I've just posted a test version for the X10/X10S. This is untested as I don't have a X10/X10S (just a X10S express!).
If your X10S has openTx on it, then just use the openTX bootloader to flash erskyTx. As always, probably a good idea to backup the existing firmware.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Suncoaster wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:24 am Some restrictions have been lifted here, and we are able to fly again,
Lucky you :D
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

I have installed the version posted. I was unable to load erskytx via the bootloader menu so I did it using eepskye, the boot loader found the file on the SD card but when I highlighted it it would not load the firmware. The first item I noticed after powering on the radio is that the system displays the splash screen followed by the calibration screen and then displays the battery charged screen. After bypassing these I attempted to change to AETR and Mode 1 in the Controls menu but these are changes not being saved after a power off/on. In the General menu any change that requires text input causes the system to drop back to the main screen. I am unable to bind any receiver, it appears to work but as soon as you power cycle the Rx the bind is lost.

I will continue to work my way through them menus and will document any other problems I find.

Dave
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Do you always get the calibration screen and battery charged screen at power on?
The system and model data are stored on the SD card, I assume you are operating with this in the Tx!
With the Rx, what RxNum are you using? Try using RxNum 0, and/or changing the RxNum to 0 after bind. When binding, make sure that "Double Rate" is off (it is supposed to not use that when binding, but I may not have that correct).
With the text input, when does the radio drop back to the main screen, immediately or after entering new text?

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

MikeB wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:25 pm Do you always get the calibration screen and battery charged screen at power on?
Yes
The system and model data are stored on the SD card, I assume you are operating with this in the Tx!
Yes
With the Rx, what RxNum are you using? Try using RxNum 0, and/or changing the RxNum to 0 after bind. When binding, make sure that "Double Rate" is off (it is supposed to not use that when binding, but I may not have that correct).
I was using RxNum 0 the first couple of times, then tried other numbers. I have not seen Double Rate" where is that found.
With the text input, when does the radio drop back to the main screen, immediately or after entering new text?
It is not consistent, sometimes straight away, other time it allows a few characters to be entered.

Mike
I have just put the Tx away for the night I will continue tomorrow. Thanks for your support.
Dave
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

A few things check:
1. Does the SD card have a directory in the root of "RADIO"? It is supposed to get this automatically, the the radio settings are in a file called "radio.bin" in that directory.
2. Currently, the buttons do the following:
SYS = MENU
RTN = EXIT
MDL - UP
TELE = DOWN
PgUp/Dn = LEFT
These sort of just happened!

Please confirm when you bind a Rx, the bind works (LED flashing on the Rx), but you have no radio link after exiting bind on the Tx and power cycling the Rx. What Rx are you using and are you using "XJT" protocol. Please also calibrate the 6-position switch from the hardware menu (power on holding the left horizontal trim to the left to enable the hardware menu). There is an obscure reason why you may not have a link to the Rx if you haven't calibrated the 6-pos switch!

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

Hi Mike
Some progress, the setting are being saved, I discovered that the SD card was not seating correctly and I am no longer getting the calibration screen when I power on the Tx. I have now calibrated the 6-pos switch.
I cannot get any Rx to bind, I have tried a RX8R a S8R using XJT and a D8 using D(8), using different Rx numbers, all these Rx's bind using my QX7.

The Tx reboots from time to time for no apparent reason and the Stats menu gives a Watchdog Code of 8103 0002, 2400 0000. I am also getting a Tx battery low with a displayed value of 7.7V and I have set the alarm to 6.0v while I am testing different things.

I had worked out the buttons by reading the thread on the X10S express.

That is all I can test for the moment, so I will wait to hear from you.

Dave
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've posted a new test version. I found one thing that may be stopping the internal module from working. I assume when you attempt to bind the receivers do nothing?
I've also enabled some code that tries to detect why a watchdog reset occurs. This usually happens when an interrupt routine never stops. The stats menu now has an extra number on the right (after a ">") that reports the last interrupt routine that ran before the watchdog triggered.

Could you test an external module please?

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

MikeB wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:30 pm I've posted a new test version. I found one thing that may be stopping the internal module from working. I assume when you attempt to bind the receivers do nothing?
I've also enabled some code that tries to detect why a watchdog reset occurs. This usually happens when an interrupt routine never stops. The stats menu now has an extra number on the right (after a ">") that reports the last interrupt routine that ran before the watchdog triggered.

Could you test an external module please?

Mike
Sorry I have been slow in getting back to you, but I have had issues with SD cards which I have now sorted out. First the good news, I am now able to bind receivers, I noticed that there is now a bind version number which was not there in the other version. I am still getting watchdog resets using the keyboard with the number after the ">" being 0110.

During the issues I had with SD cards I took a screenshot when I attempted to flash firmware from the bootloader menu which I have attached, I have not been able to flash firmware from there, no matter how long I hold the "ENT" key.

All the other functions I have tested are working with most of the issues being cosmetic, such as when you select a file name from the card they appear hard up against the left margin and because of the extra screen size they only use the top half. Would it be possible to use a larger font?

I am unable to try an external module at the moment as the previous owner did a battery modification and the charge and balance leads are stored in the module bay. I am getting a couple of pieces printed with a 3D printer which will allow me to tidy up this area and remove the leads from the module bay.

Time for bed, more testing tomorrow.

Dave
Boot.jpg
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

You should be able to put the erskyTx bootloader on using "maintenance mode".
The (bind) version number is present because communication to the module is now working.
What text are you editing when you get the watchdog reboots? I'm trying to reproduce the problem. Is there a specific operation you are doing when the reboot occurs?

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

I have put the erskyTx bootloader using the "maintenance mode", that was something that wasn't working on the first version. The text I am trying to edit was a model name and I got a watchdog < 98, then I attempted to add my name in the radio setup "general" menu and got a watchdog < 86. I then created the model in eepskye and attempted to write this to the radio and I got a "Tx Disk Not Mounted" error, even though both drives are visible in the file manager. I just noticed there is only one file in the ERSKY-9X directory " FIRMWARE.BIN.

I also attempted to add an image file to the model I am setting up and while I selected a file from the SD card the image was not displayed. Is there a format these image file should be in?

Hope this helps.
Dave
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

eepskye doesn't read/write "EEPROM" on the X10/T16/X12 yet as they all use the SD card and it needs a different method to read/write the data, I'm working on it at present!
Was there a particular button you pressed or operation you did when the watchdog happened?
I'll post an update in a moment with a small change to the text editing.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

MikeB wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 1:28 pm eepskye doesn't read/write "EEPROM" on the X10/T16/X12 yet as they all use the SD card and it needs a different method to read/write the data, I'm working on it at present!
Was there a particular button you pressed or operation you did when the watchdog happened?

Mike
On the model name I was using "Astro Ho" and it reset on the "g" and on my Name I got to the "i" in my name. It also reset when I scrolled in the wrong direction starting to enter text.

Dave
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

Suncoaster wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 1:34 pm
MikeB wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 1:28 pm eepskye doesn't read/write "EEPROM" on the X10/T16/X12 yet as they all use the SD card and it needs a different method to read/write the data, I'm working on it at present!

Mike
On the model name I was using "Astro Ho" and it reset on the "g" and on my Name I got to the "i" in my name. It also reset when I scrolled in the wrong direction starting to enter text.

Dave
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Please try editing text with the internal module disabled.
I have posted an update.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

MikeB wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 1:41 pm Please try editing text with the internal module disabled.
I have posted an update.

Mike
It made no difference, The watchdog is < 0112.

Dave
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Was that with the module disabled, the updated version, or both?

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've posted another test version (Fourth).
The X10 has the display mounted upside down compared to the X12. This requires the display driver code to turn everything upside down. It is possible I may have something wrong there that then causes something to be written to the wrong place in memory. I have seen the display go very odd on the T16, and I did just have the same thing happen to my X10S express with a watchdog reboot occurring some time later.
I've never seen this odd display happen on my X12.
There are two bin files in the post, a normal one that has some extra tests in the LCD driver and another one where I don't turn the display upside down (X10_romi.bin). It is a bit difficult to use with the display inverted, but if you could test that version with editing text it may help to decide if the inverted display driver is the culprit.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

MikeB wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 2:52 pm Was that with the module disabled, the updated version, or both?

Mike
Both
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

MikeB wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:29 pm I've posted another test version (Fourth).
The X10 has the display mounted upside down compared to the X12. This requires the display driver code to turn everything upside down. It is possible I may have something wrong there that then causes something to be written to the wrong place in memory. I have seen the display go very odd on the T16, and I did just have the same thing happen to my X10S express with a watchdog reboot occurring some time later.
I've never seen this odd display happen on my X12.
There are two bin files in the post, a normal one that has some extra tests in the LCD driver and another one where I don't turn the display upside down (X10_romi.bin). It is a bit difficult to use with the display inverted, but if you could test that version with editing text it may help to decide if the inverted display driver is the culprit.

Mike
Mike, X10_romi seems to be the winner, but only if the internal module is not active. With the module active I was still getting watchdog resets. Hope this is of some help.

Dave

Edit: Then again I attempted to set up another model and got a watchdog reset < 0112, so maybe I spoke too soon, that was also with the module off. :cry:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The watchdog reset is not obviously coming from a specific interrupt. I'll need to add something to really try to pin down why/where the problem is.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

MikeB wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 3:06 pm The watchdog reset is not obviously coming from a specific interrupt. I'll need to add something to really try to pin down why/where the problem is.

Mike
OK thanks Mike I will wait for you to upload another test version. 8-) :!:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Fifth test version posted. I've even flashed the previous X10 test version to my X10S express and that doesn't generate the watchdog reboots you are seeing.
This test version has a timer acting as the watchdog, so we get a high priority interrupt on watchdog timeout that saves 16 words from the stack, then allows the hardware watchdog to do the reboot. The stack that is saved is displayed on the "Debug" menu (UP LONG, then RIGHT a few times.
There are 5, 4 digit values near the top of the screen, these should all be 0. In the bottom half of the screen are the 16, 8-digit values. If/when you get a watchdog reboot I need to know what all these values are please.
This should tell me what code was executing when the watchdog reset occured.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

MikeB wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 7:48 pm Fifth test version posted. I've even flashed the previous X10 test version to my X10S express and that doesn't generate the watchdog reboots you are seeing.
This test version has a timer acting as the watchdog, so we get a high priority interrupt on watchdog timeout that saves 16 words from the stack, then allows the hardware watchdog to do the reboot. The stack that is saved is displayed on the "Debug" menu (UP LONG, then RIGHT a few times.
There are 5, 4 digit values near the top of the screen, these should all be 0. In the bottom half of the screen are the 16, 8-digit values. If/when you get a watchdog reboot I need to know what all these values are please.
This should tell me what code was executing when the watchdog reset occured.

Mike
Mike these are the values I obtained, hope this helps.

20002200 0802800C 00000000
0000496B 81000200 0804D8D9
000001DE 0000005C
04000000 00000014
40001400 00000000
00000014 20009424
0802C275 0804E201
With the module off
I got exactly the same values when I turned the module on and just selected the General menu. After the reboot I pressed the menu button then Model select, then model setup, then General and attempted to change the model name and I got the following also with the module off
200021F8 0802800A 00000050
00006091 81000200 0000000C
00000000 08028008
00010001 4002B000
40001400 0802C8E7
00000014 00000000
0802C2A9 00000000
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

One other thing, please go to the SD Card menu and let me know what the number is at the right of the line that says "Present Yes". We would like to see 32.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”