ER9x and multiprotocol problems

er9x is the best known firmware. It has a superb range of features and is well supported by the community. Well worth trying out.
HTeixeira

Re: ER9x and multiprotocol problems

Post by HTeixeira »

Hello everyone,

Just another questoin about the 4 in 1 multiprotocol module. I order it last week.

There is any tutorial about this instalation or is simple plug and play changing the box?

The major issue that I notice in the 9x is that we need to bind every time we change a reciever/drone.

With this 4in1 module it solves it?

Thanks

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

It should just plug in and work for control. If you want telemetry, you need to have done the telemetry mod. Depending on how this mod is done, you may need to update the firmware on the 4-in-1 module so it sends the telemetry data either as normal or inverted.

Bind should remain for different models.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
HTeixeira

Post by HTeixeira »

Hi Mike,

I install the multiprotocol module in the turnigy 9x. I'm trying to bind it but it not works.

I am trying to bind with a Fli14+ receiver (AFHD2S) but in the protocol option on ER9X, I choose AFHD2S and try to bind but the red light of the module does not start to blink fast. I choose de "0" option on the rotary switch but nothing works.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Which multi module do you have?

When you select the AFHDS2 protocol, is the LED on the module on solid?

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
HTeixeira

Post by HTeixeira »

Hi Mike,

The red led only blinks slowly. Not became solid.

Is this module:

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Perhaps you need to update the multiprotocol module's firmware.

João

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
HTeixeira

Post by HTeixeira »

Thanks! I will try today.

Henrique
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Your "problem" is that module uses the Atmel AVR processor. This doesn't have enough flash memory to hold all possible protocols. What you need to do is update the firmware, selecting those protocols you need.
It is updated as though it is an Arduino.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
HTeixeira

Post by HTeixeira »

Hello again,

I update the firmware of the module. Now when I choose bind, the led start blinking fast. But do not bind.

I choose the right protocol, try several option numbers but it not bind.

I'm getting crazy with this.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

There are 4 choices for the sub-protocol under AFHDS2A, you may need a different one of those for your receiver. Also, there are different values you may choose for the "option" value. With AFHDS2A, the name changes and you get different values showing, e.g. T-Rate.
I'm not familiar with AFHDS2A or what these values do.You may find the answer here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... -TX-Module

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

This looks like a suitable thread to tack onto for help. I’m trying to troubleshoot a radio.

The radio in question is a Turnigy 9x running ER9x r820, version V1.747-mike, date 30-11.2016.

It has an iRangeX Plus module currently set to 0 and is using Proto Multi, Protocol DSM, Type DSM2-22, it is set to Receiver No 0 and Auto-bind. I would propose to set to DSMX-22, Rx No 1, and turn off Autobind.

The transmitter is programmed in AETR channel order, as required.

The receiver is a Lemon Stabilizer DSMX, which uses a total of eight channels.

The problem is that while channels 1-6 appear to work correctly both in the monitor screen and controlling the model, channels 7 and 8 only work in the monitor screen and do not seem to be sent to the model. In other words, it looks as though only 6 channels are available from the module.

The Protocol screen, unlike in other versions of ER9x and ErskyTX, does not appear to allow the number of channels to be specified.

Is it necessary to use a more recent version of ER9x? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Try setting "Option" to 8.

The option value specifies the number of channels from 4 to 12. If set to 0 the modules uses a default value of 6.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Thanks Mike,

That did the trick.
miklelv

Post by miklelv »

Hi Mike,

The red led only blinks slowly. Not became solid.
er9x(m64 stock), FW er9xProv822m
This is module jp4in-se (FW v1.3.0.53):

20200217_223244.jpg
20200217_223149.jpg
Last edited by miklelv on Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
miklelv

Post by miklelv »

What firmware should I use for er9x ?

multi-stm-ppm-taer-noinv-v1.3.0.53.bin or multi-stm-opentx-aetr-inv-v1.3.0.53.bin ?
rcnobel

Post by rcnobel »

Hello. Hope i can post my first question here about multiprotocol modules.
I have an old turnigy 9x v2 laying around flashed with er9x-128 , also an irangex irx4 plus multiprotocol module. And i have a fli14+ receiver IBUS.
I did the telemetry mod based on oscarling site without rs232 level converter, but i cant get any telemetry. Also i am a bit confused about the wiring and i have it this way.
--PIN2 (RX) Atmega128 -> PIN5 (TX) back PBC
–PIN3 (TX) Atmega128 -> PIN2 (RX) back PBC
I also wired it the other way as he says in his tuturial and no telemetry eigher. Had a default ATMEGA64 board and i did the mod and i get some wierd telemetry data. Probably i did some bad soldering on this board.
Is this telemetry mod only for DJT modules?
I have updated irangex irx4 plus firmware with noninverted and inverted but still doesnt show anything.
The turnigy 9x v2 is flashed with er9x-128 from er9xProv822m versiion. No bind problems. Protocol AFHDS2A and sub protocol TYPE can be used anything.
thanks
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Wiring looks OK.
To get AFHDS2A telemetry you need "er9xProv822n" (recently posted), and the MPM needs to be flashed with non-inverted firmware (for your wiring) and also the openTx (MULTI_TELEMETRY) version.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
rcnobel

Post by rcnobel »

MikeB wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:54 am Wiring looks OK.
To get AFHDS2A telemetry you need "er9xProv822n" (recently posted), and the MPM needs to be flashed with non-inverted firmware (for your wiring) and also the openTx (MULTI_TELEMETRY) version.

Mike
Hi Mike thanks for you attencion and your extrordinary good work.
Do you mean i have to flash the MPM with : multi-stm-opentx-reta-noinv-v1.3.0.53.bin
i am using this site to download the right firmware https://downloads.multi-module.org/ and flash it with flash-multi utility program.
but i dont get it, The radio type isnt it for er9x ?
Thanks
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The radio type actually just defines whether the MPM is using MULTI_STATUS or MULTI_TELEMETRY.
The "er9xProv822n" test version supports MULTI_TELEMETRY, so works with the "openTx" version of the MPM firmware.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
rcnobel

Post by rcnobel »

MikeB wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:12 pm The radio type actually just defines whether the MPM is using MULTI_STATUS or MULTI_TELEMETRY.
The "er9xProv822n" test version supports MULTI_TELEMETRY, so works with the "openTx" version of the MPM firmware.

Mike
Ok fantastic. I Will do that then and flash er9xProv822n on the radio. Thanks again.
rcnobel

Post by rcnobel »

Ok , just want to confirm that it works but after digging about setting RATE option to T-RATE. What a pain to get it working. With a frsky D16 no need to do that. The only thing i see is that RSSI maximizes at 75. I want to correct that i have a flit10 and not a fli14+. Now is time to test it on the field when all this coronavirus cuarenteen disapears hopefully.
Gad

Post by Gad »

Hello. First thank you all for all of your effort, making this possible. I hope you can help me.

I have Turnigy 9x (I think is V2), it has Green ED040501-H16D MCU, witch is clone of Atmega128 from info available from internet. I did the telemetry mod based on oscar liang site without rs232 level converter, and I think I connected Pin 2 and 5 correctly
-PIN2 (RX) Atmega128 -> PIN5 (TX) back PBC
–PIN3 (TX) Atmega128 -> PIN2 (RX) back PBC (I used 500 ohm instead 470) but as I read through this forum this mode is not required for new MPM.
And I have new URUAV TMX5 4 IN 1 with STM MCU and X-BOSS RX2A PRO 2.4G Mini Receiver for AFHDS 2A.

And now the problems :)

I flashed radio with er9x-frsky.hex from er9xProv822n.zip and flashed MPM with "multi-stm-opentx-aetr-noinv-v1.3.0.95.bin" and first problem was that I could not bind TX and RX in any combination, after flashing MPM with "multi-stm-opentx-aetr-noinv-v1.3.0.53.bin" and after that with "multi-stm-opentx-aetr-noinv-v1.3.0.91.bin" I could bind them with no probem with both versions of MPM fw, but no matter what fw i flashed on MPM I could not see protocol names or sub protocol names, that is second problem. I made it work through table of protocols from github and set protocol to 28 for AFHDS 2A an type to 3 for PPMSBUS.

Then I tried flashing er9x-frsky.hex from er9xProv822m.zip and I had protocol and sub protocol names and I was happy for the next half hour :) After I made all settings in betaflight, I tested failsafe, and when I turn my radio off motors spin up and if props ware on the quad it would be flying to the moon. Then I realized that there is no option in er9x for setting failsafe for AFHDS 2A protocol and any other for that matter.

After much reading, I flashed er9x-128.hex from er9xProv822m.zip, and I've got failsafe in protocol menus, but no "HARDWARE" option in "Radio Setup" for FRSky mod, so now on boot i get warning for THR and AIL Switch and I can't use that switches.

So question is, is it possible to "combine" all this features (failsafe, frsky telemetry mode, and protocol names) in er9x-128.hex and possibly have Telemetry for AFHDS 2A protocol, or I need to return radio to stock and have failsafe and working switches.
Thanx.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Use er9x-128.hex, then power on holding the left horizontal trim to the left. This will enable the hardware menu. In the hardware menu, tick the "FrSky Mod Done" and all should then be working.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Gad

Post by Gad »

Thank you, Mike

I found the "secret" menu :) Buttons working now, still no protocol or sub protocol names, but it is not big deal. Failsafe is working, witch is most important to me. And now with er9x-128.hex it binds with "multi-stm-opentx-aetr-noinv-v1.3.0.95.bin" FW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The STM module telemetry signal does not drive very well and so the logic 1 voltage is not high enough for the mega 128 (or for the inverted buffer I use). Protocol names do appear if I use an AVR module, which has a 5V drive on the telemetry signal.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Gad

Post by Gad »

So by that logic, if i use some kind of signal "booster" and bring signal from pin 5 close to 5V everything should work. I did not have time to go through all datasheet of STM mcu, but on first glance, output signal voltage is around 0.4V on low, and around 1 - 1.5V high if input voltage is 3.3V. And to be on safe side current should be kept around 10mA through I/O pins.

So first thing that comes to my mind. is use some optocoupler like CNY17 with current limiting resistor around 50-100 ohms on the input side (from MPM), and on the output "hack" 5V from some pad in TX, and put 10K pull-up resistor on collector. And then have two option to wire it. If I pull signal from collector side, it will be inverted, or if I pull signal from emitter side it would be same as input (non-inverted)

Return to “er9x”