Reading from radio crashes eepesky program

Help with any software/desktop related issues. e.g. companion9x, eePe, etc
tom4416

Reading from radio crashes eepesky program

Post by tom4416 »

Strange problem here, hope someone can help (and hope it's in the right section). 9XR Pro, multi-protocol module. Got a new computer, shipped with Windows 10 Home. Loaded up eepesky on it and it opens just fine, will read my bin files from the director on the computer but when I try to read the file from the radio, which has connected as usual, eepesky crashes and I get returned to Windows. I've reinstalled numerous times, run in compatibility mode and it's exactly the same behavior. I can manipulate the model bin file stored on the computer without issue, it's only when trying to read the file from the radio that things crash.

My old computer (6 years old) was running Windows 10 but upgraded from 7 to 8 to 10 and worked fine. My wife's laptop, running the exact same version of Windows but also upgraded from 7 - 8 - 10, runs eepesky perfectly.

The new computer is pretty high end, 32gb, 8gb graphics card, I5 4th gen, 250GB M2 SSD, 500gb SSD, 1TB spinner - the M2 drive is for Windows and Office only, all my programs (where possible) run off of the 500gb SSD drive and the spinner is purely for storage of photos, videos and documents.

I realize this is an out in left field problem and I'm not helpless since my wife's computer will work with the radio just fine and I've held onto my old desktop that still runs eepesky but I would really like to get it running on the new one so any help is greatly appreciated.

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Reading from radio crashes eepesky program

Post by MikeB »

On the first post there is a test version of eepskye built using QT5 (eepskye5.zip).
Please download this, extract into a new directory and try that please.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
tom4416

Post by tom4416 »

Mike,

That did the trick! Can you briefly explain, in laymans terms, what the conflict was with the prior version of eepskye when it worked on other computers with Windows 10? In any case, thanks so much for all you do and for helping me solve this issue.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I don't know, but QT4 is from 2012 (see the date on the supporting .dll files) while QT5 is from 2017. I can only guess that your latest win10 doesn't like these "old" .dll files.
My PC came with win10 on it, my wife's was upgraded from win7, and we do notice differencies.
I'll move over to using QT5 now.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

Return to “Software”