Snag with crow/aileron weight

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
PBMICRO

Snag with crow/aileron weight

Post by PBMICRO »

Taranis X7/X7S with OpenTX Companion 2.2.4
I am using a slider to control crow braking on a motor glider.
Flap control is no problem.
Aileron control has a snag. Using Companion I have set the aileron mix as 100% + slider mix weight to say 50% so that I can adjust the crow mix input on aileron.
The neutral point of the aileron servo is adjusted mechanically with slider 'off' but when the slider is set for some crow input and on the radio I adjust the slider mix input weight I find that with the slider 'off' the neutral point has changed.
What am I doing wrong?

Kilrah

Re: Snag with crow/aileron weight

Post by Kilrah »

Really hard to understand and comment without an actual settings file, please post that.
PBMICRO

Post by PBMICRO »

J12_6.3.otx
(2.12 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
Hi, file attached.
The file SoliusCRO is the one I am working on.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

PBMICRO wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:10 pm The neutral point of the aileron servo is adjusted mechanically with slider 'off' but when the slider is set for some crow input and on the radio I adjust the slider mix input weight I find that with the slider 'off' the neutral point has changed.
Sorry, don't understand this sentence. Everything seems good...
Might just be your slider isn't centered when you adjust the weight, or is badly calibrated.
Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

looking at your file it looks to me like you have the crow setup up at the 0 position which would give you negative crow or positive crow ( ailerons down & flaps up or vice versa) you might want to consider putting it on a curve 0-100 or only let the curve in 2 of the 4 quadrants of your XY graph.

Set your mechanics up first once your happy with the linkages, that's it don't touch them once you start programming. if you have to adjust the linkages you have to a some degree or another start over on your programming.

Looking at your outputs for some reason you right side controls are not setup very well. you're only using half your servo throw on your right side control surfaces yet your left use 100%. this is a bad mechanical situation which can be minimized by programming but, I wouldn't fly anything setup like that. You put this much effort into it, you just need to give it that last push to get your plane mechanically optimized. you'll have more success and better experience overall.

trying to accomplish crow with your setup would require high point curves to make your left side mimic your right side as you deploy & retract crow. also as you mention you will have problems center to neutral with respect to your right side. this will probably require flights to trim it to neutral & might be fussy as your airspeed goes up & down.

Wormwood

This is just my opinion ymmv.....

PBMICRO

Post by PBMICRO »

Thanks Wormwood. I have been on holiday hence the delay!
My wings are not both set up as I was working on only one until I found the correct settings.
I have set up and used crow previously before starting to use OpenTX kit so am trying to mimic the successful settings from before.
I will need a day ot two to check out what you suggest and will get back to you.
Peter

Return to “openTx”