irange irx4plus channel order

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
schimaiw

Post by schimaiw »

Hi all,
I use irx4plus module for DSMX. DSMX receivers have channel order TEAR. However the module does not respect these settings.
I had to set in model menue 4 transmitter order to AETR. Then sticks fit to receiver order.

Changing in Transmitter setup from TAER to any other order has no effect.

Well, the module does the job, however the handling is somewhat clumsy, as you always keep in mind the order deviation.

Any idea to make life easier ?
Module FW is 1.2.0.22

Thanks a lot,
markus

Kilrah

Re: irange irx4plus channel order

Post by Kilrah »

The module by default expects AETR order, and will automatically remap that to what's standard for every different protocol.

You can disable that in module firmware if you don't want it.
schimaiw

Post by schimaiw »

thanks kirah.
I use the module via Serial, i.e. Setting "0" on the module.
In Transmitter Setup, its on DSMX22, so if you are right, it should change to TAER.

How can I address the module Firmware (sorry, not so familiar with the stuff). What I found in the net is somewhat confusing.

best
MArkus
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

You have to download the code, edit the config files and compile/upload, that's all in the multiprotocol doc:
https://github.com/pascallanger/DIY-Mul ... -TX-Module
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

The module’s automatic translation of channel order from AETR to the Spektrum order of TAER is a major simplification for anyone who uses other protocols, as it means all protocols can use a standard order of AETR and the transmitter firmware can have that as its default order.

On the other hand, if you only use DSM protocols, and thus are used to TAER, you may see using AETR in your programming as an unnecessary complication.

I went through this choice a couple of years ago, and decided to stay with TAER. It was a fair bit of trouble to edit and recompile the firmware, though, and it would have been easier to just edit any existing models to AETR order and reset the default channel order to AETR (the default applies only to new models).

Editing channel order is very easy. You just need to use the Move command to move the channel 1 mixes on the Mixer page to channel 3, and those on channel 3 to channel 1. It takes about a minute per model.

You’re the only one who can judge which way is preferable. In my case, I have now decided to go with the Multi approach. I have acquired a new module for a new transmitter and have decided it’s time to do things the Multiprotocol way. So the new Tx is setup with AETR order.

Note that there’s another consideration. As you no doubt know, 100% in OpenTX is equivalent to 125% in Spektrum programming. So when adapting a model designed for Spektrum transmitters to OTX, it’s necessary to reduce Limits to 80% to get the equivalent of 100%.

However, since early in 2018, the Multi firmware versions have done this automatically (though many modules still have the old firmware). So if you are going to adjust the file to eliminate reordering, you may also want to eliminate this scaling. This would make sense if you have already created a number of models where you have already applied the 80% factor. If that’s not the case, scaling is very convenient and you can easily adjust your older models (though it’s a bit tedious).

Bottom line, if I were doing it again, I wouldn’t! I would accept how Multi does things and adjust my models to suit.
Last edited by Daedalus66 on Thu May 30, 2019 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

schimaiw

Post by schimaiw »

Thanks Daedalus. I fully agree to your Bottom line.
But two last questions:
1) If I change the channel order in the "Radio Setup", "Rx channel order", this has no effect on mapping the sticks to the receiver inputs. With this experience I ask myself what this parameter finally works on (if changes have no effect)…. I did not try with other receivers (and internal module)
2) Is there any known transmission performance issue, i.e. RF power as good or close to SPEKTRUM transmitters, transmission safety, stability etc. ?

Thanks all for your support.

best
Markus
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

This setting defines the order of the default mixes on a newly created model. It has no effect on any existing ones.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

schimaiw wrote:Thanks Daedalus. I fully agree to your Bottom line.
But two last questions:
1) If I change the channel order in the "Radio Setup", "Rx channel order", this has no effect on mapping the sticks to the receiver inputs. With this experience I ask myself what this parameter finally works on (if changes have no effect)…. I did not try with other receivers (and internal module)
2) Is there any known transmission performance issue, i.e. RF power as good or close to SPEKTRUM transmitters, transmission safety, stability etc. ?

Thanks all for your support.

best
Markus
1) That’s why I explained how, for existing models, to move the mixes on the Mixer page to the new order (using the Move command). As Kilrah and I both said, the default channel order applies only to new models created after you change it.
By the way, you only need to change the order in the Mixer page. Input order doesn’t matter.
2) My experience with DSM transmissions from the iRangeX (and other Multi modules) has been very good in all respects.
Last edited by Daedalus66 on Fri May 31, 2019 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “openTx”