Setting Trim values

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
mumf83

Setting Trim values

Post by mumf83 »

How do you set trim values? Let's say for example, I have an electric plane and I want to quickly set my throttle trim (TrimT) value (say 50%) with a single click of the throttle up trim. The same goes for the down trim, a single click of the down trim will set the trim back to zero. I've seen other transmitters do this and is very handy.

Setting an offset via a GVAR and using a Special Function to set the values isn't working as it offsets the travel of the stick and full throttle is not at the very top so it gives you a strange response.

jhsa

Re: Setting Trim values

Post by jhsa »

Why would you need throttle trim on electric planes? Just curious.. :)

João

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
mumf83

Post by mumf83 »

Because I don't want the motor to stop when idling as when you are 3Ding the worst thing that can happen is the motor to stop and then the ESC takes a couple of seconds to start the motor back up again. You don't get that linear throttle response.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I usually use a switch instead of the trim keys. If you want the trim keys you can set up a Sticky logical switch that turns off/on with the trim keys. Use that to switch 2 input lines, mixer lines or override switch in a similar manner to a throttle cut.

Envoyé de mon 16th en utilisant Tapatalk

mumf83

Post by mumf83 »

Kilrah wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:55 pm I usually use a switch instead of the trim keys. If you want the trim keys you can set up a Sticky logical switch that turns off/on with the trim keys. Use that to switch 2 input lines, mixer lines or override switch in a similar manner to a throttle cut.

Envoyé de mon 16th en utilisant Tapatalk
I understand the sticky logical switch but I'm not following you on the second part regarding the input lines/mixer lines. Can you explain that bit again, please.

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

2 lines for throttle, one is normal and goes from -100 to +100, the other has weight/offset adjusted so as to raise the lower point a bit and is enabled when your switch is on.
mumf83

Post by mumf83 »

Kilrah wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:38 pm 2 lines for throttle, one is normal and goes from -100 to +100, the other has weight/offset adjusted so as to raise the lower point a bit and is enabled when your switch is on.
By doing this you lose the full range of the stick movement. So as you move the stick to full throttle it reaches 100% before you get to the top, which doesn't make it linear anymore and feels very strange.

Here is what I tired:
Screenshot 2019-04-12 at 21.05.13.png
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'd do something like:
CH3: +100% Thr No Trim
R +100% Thr switch(SAv) [a replace mix]
and also select the "Throttle trim idle only" option.

With switch SA up, you get -100% to +100% throttle on the throttle stick.
With switch SA down, you get the throttle output set at the low end by the throttle trim setting, but at the high end the throttle trim has no effect and you get +100% at the point the throttle stick is fully advanced.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
mumf83

Post by mumf83 »

MikeB wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:53 pm I'd do something like:
CH3: +100% Thr No Trim
R +100% Thr switch(SAv) [a replace mix]
and also select the "Throttle trim idle only" option.

With switch SA up, you get -100% to +100% throttle on the throttle stick.
With switch SA down, you get the throttle output set at the low end by the throttle trim setting, but at the high end the throttle trim has no effect and you get +100% at the point the throttle stick is fully advanced.

Mike
Thanks Mike, this is the closest I've got so far. Once I know where the trim needs to be it will jump to the throttle trim setting when SA is down.

I wish I could just set the value of the trims. We can do a lot with trims except for setting the value of the trims :( :lol: . Does anyone know where we can ask for future features?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

mumf83 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:06 pm By doing this you lose the full range of the stick movement. So as you move the stick to full throttle it reaches 100% before you get to the top, which doesn't make it linear anymore and feels very strange.
Not if you adjust the weight accordingly as I said. On the radio there is a nice little live diagram that shows you the effective range you get.
Offset 5%, weight 95% gives you -90 to +100 with no deadband.

You could also use a curve if you prefer.
thebriars0

Post by thebriars0 »

mumf83 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:38 pm Because I don't want the motor to stop when idling as when you are 3Ding the worst thing that can happen is the motor to stop and then the ESC takes a couple of seconds to start the motor back up again. You don't get that linear throttle response.
Have you checked the settings on the ESC? Often you can set the ESC for a soft start, which does exactly as you have described. This may be the problem, and a much simpler solution therefore.
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

mumf83 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:45 pm Does anyone know where we can ask for future features ?
For the quickest new future features to be considered,
would be to use erSky9x firmware on your radio
and make your request to MikeB (9x Developer).
More erSky9x info found here for your radio: (http://www.er9x.com/).
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
mumf83

Post by mumf83 »

Kilrah wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:44 am Not if you adjust the weight accordingly as I said. On the radio there is a nice little live diagram that shows you the effective range you get.
Offset 5%, weight 95% gives you -90 to +100 with no deadband.

You could also use a curve if you prefer.
If you've got the time can you send me a configuration like the screen shot I took above please. I must be doing something wrong as I can't get it to work and you seem very adamant this will work.
mumf83

Post by mumf83 »

bob195558 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:13 pm For the quickest new future features to be considered,
would be to use erSky9x firmware on your radio
and make your request to MikeB (9x Developer).
More erSky9x info found here for your radio: (http://www.er9x.com/).
Thanks I'll take a look.
mumf83

Post by mumf83 »

Finally managed to get this working also with a smart throttle switch. See screen shot below for anyone else wanting this. Thank you for your help. I still hope we can just set the trim values in future though, will make it much easier.
Screenshot 2019-04-14 at 11.11.42.png
Last edited by mumf83 on Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

mumf83 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:16 am I still hope we can just set the trim values in future though, will make it much easier.
Why don't you use a pot to set the amount of trim??

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

He doesn't want trim at all... as a result the "set throttle idle only to 'true'" is useless.
mumf83

Post by mumf83 »

jhsa wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:29 pm Why don't you use a pot to set the amount of trim??

João
Once I know where the offset needs to be I won't need to touch it ever again. So no need for a pot.
mumf83

Post by mumf83 »

Kilrah wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:58 pm He doesn't want trim at all... as a result the "set throttle idle only to 'true'" is useless.
true and I've edited my post to remove it, thanks.

Return to “openTx”