Companion 2.1.9 keeps saying I'm using an Atmega128 and won't copy settings and models

Help with any software/desktop related issues. e.g. companion9x, eePe, etc
Nadim

Companion 2.1.9 keeps saying I'm using an Atmega128 and won't copy settings and models

Post by Nadim »

Hi there,

I am flashing an old 9x equipped with a SmartieParts board to OpenTX 2.1.9 using Companion (on Linux Mint 19).

I can flash the firmware and everything seems OK with the radio, but when I try to copy back settings & models to the radio I had previously backed up, Companion says that my radio uses an Atmega128 (which is indeed the case), and that I must select it from the Companion settings, and it won't flash it. Except that it is already selected (9x "with 128 chip" from the scroll menu -- indeed, if this hadn't been the case, I wouldn't have been able to flash it in the first place).

The only way I have to copy back settings & models is to uncheck the "check firmware compatibility" before flashing the EEPROM. In this way it seems to work, but all this doesn't sound right.

Anyone's help would be appreciated. :)
Thank you

Kilrah

Re: Companion 2.1.9 keeps saying I'm using an Atmega128 and won't copy settings and models

Post by Kilrah »

What's the name of the firmware file you're flashing?
Nadim

Re: Companion 2.1.9 keeps saying I'm using an Atmega128 and won't copy settings and models

Post by Nadim »

This one:

opentx-9x128-gvars-sp22-autosource-autoswitch-dblkeys-battgraph-thrtrace-pgbar-sqt5font-en-2.1.9
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

What is the EXACT error you're getting?
It's likely that you had a 64 firmware on at some point, and the EEPROM is still the 64 format and it's the message about that that you're getting.
Nadim

Post by Nadim »

This is the popup I'm getting (please check the attachment).

As for the EEPROM being 64 based (or any format different than the 217 for the matter), my understanding is that Companion silently updates the EEPROM automatically to match its format with OpenTX version and current settings whenever you open and save a EEPROM file inside Companion, which is what I had done before trying to reflash. But I was also suspecting something along the lines you suggested, so here's what I tried:

1. I flashed the firmware on the radio.
2. Without trying to write settings&models, I created a new model within the radio, so by definition it had to be the 217 version and compatible with the 128 board.
3. I downloaded the model inside Companion, edited a few random things, saved it and tried to load it back onto the radio.
4. Same error.

All of the above with the radio always powered ON.

I am now going to try the very same thing on Windows, and onto another 9x I have around. I remember this had been brought up by me once in the past, namely that multiple times I have had the feeling that the Windows version of Companion seems to work more smoothly than Linux's. But back then, you said that the Linux version has actually never reported to be buggier than its Win counterpart, so I don't know what to think.
Attachments
Screenshot at 2019-04-12 08-09-43.png

Nadim

Post by Nadim »

I just tried the very same thing on Windows 10 with the same version of Companion, the 2.1.9.

It works with no error messages.

It could be me or it could be the Linux version of Companion itself, but at this point I am afraid I'll have to use the Windows version from now on. I have had this happen at least 4 or 5 times on Linux during the past years. Not this exact error but 'small' (?) things like this. Whenever I had tried the same on Windows, it then worked.

I am a bit disappointed because Linux is what I use daily and I would really like to have it working with Companion as well...

Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

The window behind seems to be showing that there was a communication error with the radio. Maybe something wrong with the particular avrdude version...
Nadim

Post by Nadim »

The firmware gets flashed with no issues though every single time. It can't be that the connection is lost only and alwas when I try to flash the EEPROM...

I would like to know from other Linux users as well, to see if I'm the only one to experience these little issues from time to time.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

When "check hardware" is enabled companion reads the current eeprom then writes the document if the radio type and version match. Some programmer/avrdude version/board combos are known to cause issues when 2 operations are done in rapid succession with the 2nd one failing, which happens in that case.
Looks like that's what you're running into.
Nadim

Post by Nadim »

It could be. I am not really versed in this stuff enough to really understand what is going on.
I'll start from avrdude for Linux and see if I am capable enough to understand its settings.

But for the moment, I guess I'll have to rely on the Windows version of Companion.

Return to “Software”