Lemon Telemetry with ErSky9x

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
Daedalus66

Lemon Telemetry with ErSky9x

Post by Daedalus66 »

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss the use of ErSky9x with Lemon RX telemetry.

Lemon telemetry uses DSMX/DSM2 and the Spektrum telemetry protocol. It is designed to work with current generation telemetry-enabled Spektrum transmitters such as the DX6, DX8G2, DX9 or DX18G2 (and the Generation 1 DX8), making use of the transmitter’s built-in telemetry display and voice capabilities.

Transmitters using recent versions of ErSky9x, including the Turnigy 9XR Pro, FlySky/Turnigy 9x units with AR9x or 9Xtreme upgrade boards, and the various FrSky Taranis and Horus radios are fully compatible with Lemon telemetry, provided they have a suitable RF module utilizing Multiprotocol firmware. My own implementation uses an FrSky Taranis QX7 with OrangeRx module flashed to Multiprotocol.

Lemon has produced three types of telemetry unit:
1. Stand-alone Telemetry System (LM0030), plugs into a suitable DSMX/DSM2 receiver. Includes an altitude sensor. Released 2014.
2. Integrated 7-Channel Telemetry Receiver (LM0041). No altitude sensor. Released 2016.
3. Integrated 7-Channel Telemetry Receiver (LM0051/52). Only the LM0052 has an altitude sensor. Released late 2017.

Lemon Telemetry sends back real time data to the transmitter on receiver voltage, temperature and RSSI (signal strength); it does not send the usual Spektrum data on fades, holds, etc. With the V/I external sensor, it provides voltage, current and capacity (mAh) readings for the flight pack of an electric powered model. The LM0030 and LM0052 do all this and also provide altitude and (in the case of the 52) vertical speed (vario) data from a built-in barometric sensor.

For details on the Lemon Telemetry system, see the detailed instructions prepared by jj604 (with my help) at the following links:
Stand-alone Telemetry Unit: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpos ... ostcount=5
Integrated Receivers: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpos ... ostcount=6

Credit for ErSky9x goes, of course, to its developer Mike Blandford, who I'm hoping will look in on this thread and offer help as needed.

I'm hoping to hear from anyone using, or just interested in, Lemon telemetry with ErSky9x.
Last edited by Daedalus66 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:21 am, edited 4 times in total.

Daedalus66

Re: Lemon Telemetry with ErSky9x

Post by Daedalus66 »

Reserved for screen shots of Lemon telemetry.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Reserved for further details on Lemon telemetry.
robertbulko

Post by robertbulko »

Hi Daedalus66, are you sure about working VARIO in LM0030? I know there is ATLIMETER working but vertical speed???
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

You’re quite right. The LM0030 provides only altitude telemetry, not vario. The LM0052 provides both.

mentero

Post by mentero »

Hi,

A friend of mine has asked me to test a Lemon LM0052 receiver telemetry.

The receiver is sitting on my bench, telemetry is working, basic parameters (altitude, voltage, temp) look right, with the exception of Vspd (vario) that seems way out of range.

If i raise the receiver by hand by (aprox) one meter in (aprox) une second, the reading for Vspd shows 0.1, sometimes 0.2. And -0.1 on the way down

As a result, (I hope), no tone is made by the vario. :(

On the other hand, the values shown for Vspd on the log file (attached) are much higher.

Your help will be appreciated.

Radio is 9XR-pro with ersky9x-pc8r222 04/11/2018 and multiprotocol module ver 1.2.0.0
Miguel
WALRUS-2018-12-15-160355.csv
(6.58 KiB) Downloaded 287 times
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty. Douglas Adams.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Try updating Ersky9x to the latest test version. Mike fixed a problem with the vario and frsky D8 protocol recently. Perhaps it did also affect other protocols..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
mentero

Post by mentero »

Thanks Joao,

Tried the latest release ersky9xProvR222d2 (sounds like R2d2, should make vario noises :shock: ) , with the same results.
Very low numbers for Vspd on the display, much higher on the log (x*10 maybe ?).

Miguel
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Fix for the Vspd logging will be in the next test version. Currently, if the display is 1.5 (m/s), the logged value is 150.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
mentero

Post by mentero »

MikeB wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:19 am Fix for the Vspd logging will be in the next test version. Currently, if the display is 1.5 (m/s), the logged value is 150.
Mike
Hi Mike, thanks for coming.

Please note that it is not the logged value that is wrong. The wrong value is the displayed one.
Maybe that is why no vario tones are heard ?

Thanks for you help.
Miguel
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I had not noticed the units being used for DSM telemetry, looks like Vspd is in units of 0.1 m/s, so a value of 10 is 1.0 m/s. FrSky send in units of cm/s, so send 100 for 1.0 m/s.
I will scale up the DSM Vspd value by a factor of 10.
For now, you could set up a scaler with source of Vspd, and multiplier of 10. Then go into the Vario menu and set the vario source to the scaler. The vario tones should then work.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
mentero

Post by mentero »

I tried to use a scaler, but, If I use a multiplier x10 with one decimal selected, i get x100 numbers displayed for Cus1.

Found that the decimal point is not shown, and that no decimal place selected on the scaler shows the right number. (only the integer part)

Anyway, no vario noise is heard on the speaker.

Volume is 23, beeper is selected as Normal, and the radio makes beeps and speaks normally.

Miguel
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Please try the following as a test:
Set up a Scaler with source ELE, multiplier 1, divisor 5, no destination or decimal places eeded.
Set the Vario source to this scaler, and make sure the vario volume is set, either to "Vol" (the standard volume setting), or a high enough value to be heard well (e.g. 10).
With these settings, moving the ELE stick up and down should trigger the vario tones.

If you hear the vario tones, just change the Scaler to source Vspd, multiplier 10, divisor 1 and try with the vario.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
mentero

Post by mentero »

I have set up a scaler SC2 with elevator stick as the source, divided by 5, no destination, no decimal places.

Vario source is set to SC2(in fact it is set to SC2 name "ele"), volume is set at 23, and ele (SC2) is added to the custom telemetry screen.

On the telemetry screen, SC2 varies when the elevator stick is moved from -204 to +204, (?) but no sound comes out.

Miguel
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

On the vario menu, do you have a switch set and turned on? If the switch is "---", the vario sounds are OFF. You may set a switch so you may turn the vario sounds on and off, or set the switch to "ON" to have them always active.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
mentero

Post by mentero »

That was it.

No switch was selected. Now I can hear sounds with a scaler x10. Sorry for the fuss. May I suggest to use a "ON" default ?.

I do not want to add more confusion, but it seems that changing the number of decimals on the scaler screen also changes the displayed value by a factor of 10.(?)
Also, the volume of the Vario screen does not seem to work.

Now I need to try with the receiver airborne to see if the beeps make any sense, and find the scaler that gives the desired sensitivity. Difficult to see just moving by hand. By the example of the elevator, I assume that max and min frequencies are at -20 and +20. Right?

Thanks again for your help, and for all your work on maintaining this software.
Miguel
mentero

Post by mentero »

Just to illustrate what I was trying to say, in relation with scalers and units, I have set up three scalers with source on variable Temp (T1=), because Vspd is a variable that has some noise and changes very fast, making photos of the display unclear.

All three scalers have been set up with x1 multiplier and /1 divider. No change should be expected.
SC1 is defined with 0 decimal
SC2 is defined with 1 decimal
SC3 is defined with 2 decimal

All results should be equal, but they are not, or am I understanding something wrong. Happens often.
Miguel
IMG_20181217_194459.jpg
IMG_20181217_194545.jpg
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

That is working as designed. All the telemetry values are stored as integers (whole numbers), with each value marked with how many decimal places it should have.
For example, the Tx battery voltage is stored as the number of tenths of a volt, so 11.3 volts is stored as 113. Everything that then displays this value, or speaks it for voice output, is informed it should have 1 decimal place, so it is displayed or spoken as 11.3.
The same applies to scalers. If you set a scaler with "Batt" as the source, you will find it has the value 113 (for the 11.3 volt example above). You then need to set the Scaler to have 1 decimal place so it displays as 11.3.
So in your example, each scaler has the original value of 21, and you are then just defining how this is to be displayed.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
mentero

Post by mentero »

Hi Mike,

So, decimal is just for display purposes. Easy to understand when explained, thank you.

Back to the Lemon Vario set up.

Miguel
mentero

Post by mentero »

Hi,
Thanks Mike for the R222d3 release. Vario numbers are now consistent.

Max RSSI for this receiver is 31 in close proximity. Is there anyway to show the RX bar as 100% when this value is 31?.
I understand that a scaler can be used to show the Rx RSSI number in a custom screen, but I do not know now how to fill the Rx bar.

Also I found that when downloading to eepsky (Rev 423, Apr 25 2018), the telemetry protocol, RSSI warning and RSSI critical values do not seem to be downloaded and the default Frsky values are not overwritten.

Miguel
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Have a look at the 'A' value on the DSM telemetry screen. I believe Lemon may be returning a "proper" RSSI value in that. If so, go to the Telemetry menu and tick "DSM 'A' as RSSI". The 'A' value will then be used as RSSI.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
mentero

Post by mentero »

Hi Mike, thanks again,

ticking the "DSM 'A' as RSSI" option on the telemetry menu did the trick. It shows a full bar and 100% Rx when close enough.

Miguel.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

For the ee[pskye problem, try downloading "ersky9xProvR222a8.zip". There is an eepskye.exe in there that may well fix the problem.
Rename your existing eepskye.exe (in case you need to revert to it), then copy this version into your eepe directory.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
mentero

Post by mentero »

Hi,

Downloaded from your link eepsky "Version p423, May 2018" but same results. (Windows 7)

Can you reproduce the problem? or is it on my side?

Miguel
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'll try to test this later today.
There is an even later test version of eepskye in "ersky9xProvR222c4.zip" you could try.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
mentero

Post by mentero »

Still no luck with Revision: p423, aug 14 2018.

Miguel
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

All working OK for me, and I checked with the "a8" version as well.
Is it failing on all models? What if you create a new model on the radio?
Check the preferences menu, is the "Default model version set to 4?

You could read the EEPROM (use menu "burn|Read EEPROM memory to file), put it in a zip file and send it to me in a private message and I'll have a look.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I put your EEPROM onto my 'PRO and found the screen was upsidedown, the "Rotate display" box was ticked in the display menu!
Also, the calibration values for the sticks seem poor, maybe it is just your sticks though.

My suggestion now is to make sure you have this EEPROM safely backed up, then use eepskye to create a new, blank EEPROM, set the "General settings" as you require them, create a new model, setting the protocol, then write this to the radio.
Use the radio as normal, and do a stick calibration, set the RSSI warning levels, then read the EEPROM from the radio back into eepskye and see if the protocol for the model and the RSSI levels are correct.

If that is all OK, we will see about getting you models back on the radio.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
mentero

Post by mentero »

Oopss, sorry I haven't mentioned, :oops: my display is upside down because my radio has the "brains" of a 9XR-pro (ARUni was no more available at the time.), but is in a different case with better sticks, and the wiring was considerably cleaner with the display upside down.

I will follow your suggestions, create a new EEPROM with new radio settings and a fresh model and see if this solves the problem.
Thanks for your help
Miguel
Radio.jpg
mentero

Post by mentero »

Hi,

Since the Lemon Telemetry instructions points to this thread, and I have added some confusion :oops:, I want to clarify that setting up telemetry (in my case LM0052) with ersky9x is straightforward if you follow some simple rules;

Use at least the release "ersky9xProvR222d3" found on this thread https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4676 or newer.

If you use eepskye, use at least the version dated 26-Jan-2019 found on the same thread, or newer.

Make sure you tick "DSM 'A' as RSSI" on the Telemetry>Telemetry menu of your radio

Make sure you use Vspd as the source for Vario on the Telemetry>Telemetry>Vario menu of your radio, and that a switch is assigned.

Credit for all that goes (as usual), to Mike.

Miguel

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”