New X10S firmware?

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
pchristy

New X10S firmware?

Post by pchristy »

Not sure if this is the right section for this question, but here goes anyway!

I've just treated myself to an X10s as an upgrade from my trusty (and very early) X9D. I want to install OpenTx, but it looks as if FrSky have changed their firmware, as it does not behave as expected. The version I have is 1.3.01.

My main operating system is Slackware Linux, and I have never previously had any problems with updating the X9D. However, when I try and connect the X10s, the screen on the radio blanks and then asks if I want to access the data or use as a joystick. I haven't seen this documented anywhere! I select access data, at which point the screen goes blank and the radio appears to switch off!

Dmesg in Linux tells me that it has detected a STM32 bootloader, but no disk drives appear.

I have a small Windows installation (just in case!), so I loaded the zadig drivers, and went through the same process. Again the radio asked if I wanted data access of joystick, I selected data, and the radio appeared to power down. The zadig box indicated the presence of a STM32 bootloader, but no drives appear.

As I am unable to access the data storage on the radio, I am unable to either back it up or flash OpenTx.

Is this new behaviour, or have I misread something? Any advice gratefully received!

--
Pete

Kilrah

Re: New X10S firmware?

Post by Kilrah »

Flashing with dfu-util (what the Zadig driver installation for the STM32 bootloader is for) is done with power off and no drives are visible, just like with the X9D.
pchristy

Post by pchristy »

Thanks for the prompt reply! As this is a brand new radio, I'm taking the warnings about "bricking" it quite seriously, so forgive me for being very cautious here! The procedure seems to contradict both the documentation I have (Dec 4 2017) and the youtube guides!

Can you please confirm: 1) Plug in Tx with power OFF. 2) Backup via Companion (Read Firmware from radio and/or backup radio to file) 3) Write Firmware to radio from companion 4) Pray!

Cheers,

--
Pete
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Yep, just not "backup radio to file", that's not going to work with FrOS data. This stays 100% untouched by OpenTX anyway.
pchristy

Post by pchristy »

Bingo! It worked! <HUGE sigh of relief!>

Many thanks! I'd got into the habit of updating my X9D from the SD card, so remembering all the steps to do it from companion - especially when there seems to be a new option in FrOS - was making me doubly cautious!

Cheers,

--
Pete

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”