X8R Problems "Telemetry lost/Recovered" constantly

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
seapop

X8R Problems "Telemetry lost/Recovered" constantly

Post by seapop »

Hey Guys

First post here from a newbie. I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with the X8R and Taranis X9D Combo..

Taranis X9D Running 2.1.9 . X8R updated with latest firmware.

Maidened my glow plane today, Kept getting Telemetry lost and recovered signal at very close range in the air. It was constant throughout the flight. I didn't push it anymore and came back to land. I did not loose signal and the plane seemed to be doing what I wanted...

The X8R is 6cm from my LIFE battery as that's how long the lead is. It is also quite close to my throttle servo. The antennae which are PCB's are placed horizontally in my aircraft one pointing towards the front and one at 90 degrees across the fuselage. There is a carbon fiber rod in the wings. ( Im only mentioning this as I have read countless of posts with this telemetry lost problem on the X8Rs and these topics came up)

This flight scared me and frustrated me so..

Took my X8R out of my model and put it in a tree with a LiFe 6.6V 2S battery to turn it on. Range test gives me approx 25M before I get signal critical. However when I walk away from my X8R in "non range test mode so normal" mode I loose signal extremely quickly, after about 40 metres my RSSI is down to 50 and and any further causes the Telemetry lost and recovered alarm to blare out at me constantly followed by signal low and then critical.
I should be getting 1.5km's......not 40 metres sometimes even LESS ??

The RSSI value is never steady...
The RSSI value decreases extremely rapidly as I walk from the plane
Telemetry lost happens at 35 or 40 metres in normal mode (NOT RANGE TEST)
The SWR value jumps to 17 or 18 with the TX antennae straight. If I bend it up the SWR value drops down to 0.

I don't know what to do

I have a V8R7-II and that seems to work fine with the Taranis? I can't get RSSI values off this receiver but the range test still gives me movement in servos at 35 or 40m and I do feel confident flying my foamie with this which I have been doing for no problems.

Any help appreciated

jhsa

Re: X8R Problems "Telemetry lost/Recovered" constantly

Post by jhsa »

You should be getting well over 50 meters in range test mode..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Sounds like your receiver is faulty.
seapop

Post by seapop »

Maybe it is the faulty x8r will try replace it..
seapop

Post by seapop »

Went in to the hobby shop where they sell FrSky stuff and did a few tests over there...

1) The shops Taranis TX had the same problems with my X8R receiver. Telemetry lost in range test mode after 10 or 15m away

2) My Taranis TX in the shops X4R gave similar results perhaps slightly better than my X8R. Maybe 25 to 30m in range test mode before RSSI drops out to 45 and below.

3) Tried to rebind in D8 Mode. This gave me better RSSI values in range test mode on my X8R. Any Ideas why this is?

4) Rebound using D16 Mode. And tried again with my Taranis and my X8R. Range test gave me 45 to 50m before RSSI dropped out to 45. Telemetry wasn't lost until at the other end the antennas were held together in someones hands. It seems like it might be the orientation of the antennas on this receiver. The PCBs seem to be so so sensitive.

Could this be the problem?

Cheers

MagicG

Post by MagicG »

I had the same problem with my S8R.
Using it with another transmitter was OK.
Using it with my own transmitter (X10S) again resulted in the same behaviour .
Reinstalling OpenTX firmware (2.2.2) on my transmitter solved the problem for me.
DonaldHill

Post by DonaldHill »

In same vein I'm having constant Sensor Lost with a Taranus x9d plus and an x8r installed in a plane with a matek 405 wing. The telemetry sensors are fine for anywhere between 1 minute and 10 minutes then off it goes again. Turning everything off and on again sorts it out for a few more minutes then I'm right back to the sensor lost again. Driving me nuts. I've tried a brand new x8r same problem. Reflashed both with the latest firmware. Only happens with x8r rx's. I've others that work fine. Do we have a basic problem with the x8r's. Taranus running the latest firmware 2.2.2. Anyone with any thoughts????
DonaldHill

Post by DonaldHill »

By the way not a range problem

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”