Using ER9X on Flysky 9X Tx with eePe Link software

Help with any software/desktop related issues. e.g. companion9x, eePe, etc
viknik

Using ER9X on Flysky 9X Tx with eePe Link software

Post by viknik »

Hi,

New to this so still finding my way.

I have installed ER9 on both my 9X TXs, all seemed to work ok, I programmed 3 models in one and flew, all good. While programming 4th mode, the screen went blank and all programs were lost and software reset so I had to recalibrate, set alarms etc. Reprogrammed all 4 models, no problem, flew, all good, added more models, all ok, then yesterday while flying I lost control, crashed, and found the Tx screen blank but the backlight still on. Plugged TX into laptop the memories were shown in eePe software window, so saved files to laptop. Reflashed TX, it woke up, all seems ok. Tried to reinstall memories from Laptop and keep getting 'bad eeprom data' coming up on TX screen even though I get 'installation complete' message on Laptop. I have tried loading the save data onto the other 9x with the same 'bad eeprom data' message, so guess the files weren't save correctly before reflashing.

Having the TX now failing inflight I am reluctant to use it again until I can identify what went wrong. Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers.

Viknik

jhsa

Re: Using ER9X on Flysky 9X Tx with eePe Link software

Post by jhsa »

We need more details please.
Which processor your radio has?
Which version of er9x did you download and where did you get it from?
You said you have a backlight, which backlight and how did you connect it?
How are you powering the radio? which battery?

joão
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
viknik

Post by viknik »

Hello,
Please bear with me, as I say I am still finding my way, being used to basic non computer 35Mhz kit.

I believe the processor is M128, version of ER9X is e821, downloaded from ER9X.com.

The backlight came from hobbyking, sold as suitable for his TX, and fitted as per youtube tutorial. sorry that may not be helpful, but I don't know where the connections are apart from onto the motherboard via a jumper socket, part of the backlight wiring has a socket for the radio wiring then there is a socket which plugs onto main board where the original wiring was removed from.... hope that makes sense.

the first time it failed I was using NiMi's, but the last twice I have been using 11.1v. LiPo batteries.

Thanks for the interest and time, much appreciated.

Vic
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

viknik wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:44 pm I believe the processor is M128, version of ER9X is e821, downloaded from ER9X.com.
You believe?? you will have to know, otherwise you don't know if you are flashing the right firmware to it :o :shock:
Please connect the radio to eepe, go to the "Burn" menu and click on "Read Fuses"
When finished please copy the window's text and post it here..
The backlight came from hobbyking, sold as suitable for his TX, and fitted as per youtube tutorial. sorry that may not be helpful, but I don't know where the connections are apart from onto the motherboard via a jumper socket, part of the backlight wiring has a socket for the radio wiring then there is a socket which plugs onto main board where the original wiring was removed from.... hope that makes sense.
You might have to remove the backlight to see if it is causing the problem. I remember reading that some Backlights from hobbyking caused some problems.

You say you have another radio? If so, Does it also go blank like the one you are trying to fix?
the first time it failed I was using NiMi's, but the last twice I have been using 11.1v. LiPo batteries.
This should not make any difference..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

As you "might" have a battery problem, did you calibrate the battery voltage? (Radio setup - diagnostic Ana - right value in the bottom line, has to be set to the voltage you measure at the battery with an instrument)

Reinhard

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

That should have any influence on the blank screen problem.... unless... the battery is drained.. But good point, is your radio's battery fully charged?
That doesn't explain the eeprom problem though :(
Let's see what the output from reading the fuses say.. :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
viknik

Post by viknik »

Hi,

The read fuse text is as follows;

avrdude.exe: writing output file "<stdout>"
avrdude.exe: reading hfuse memory:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude.exe: reading efuse memory:

avrdude.exe done. Thank you.

=================================================================================
AVRDUDE done - SUCCESSFUL
=================================================================================
FUSES: Low=0e High=89 Ext=ff

In the last post, I say 'I believe' because I am unsure where to find the info you ask for, in the preferences window it states next to processor M128 so if that's the right place then that's what I have.

The first time it failed was before I had the backlight fitted.so would suggest it has no bearing but that is only my uneducated supposition.

The other radio has only been used at home not flown with it yet and hasn't failed so far.

Before the last episode and the crash, the battery was registering 11.8v, and only flew for around a minute before things went bad. I had calibrated the voltage reading on the TX by attaching a Lipo checker on the balance lead while TX switched on and calibrated to that.

Cheers.

Vic
viknik

Post by viknik »

EEpe does say there is an updated version (e422) available but when it is downloaded I get the message it is a bad file so can't be opened.

Vic
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

You didn't attach the complete text from the fuse reading. The beginning, which says which processor it is, is missing. please post the complete text.

You might have also to open the radio and start measuring voltages. are you ok with that?

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
viknik

Post by viknik »

Ahh, sorry didn't think to check to scroll up.

Started AVRDUDE
C:/Program Files (x86)/eePe/avrdude.exe -c usbasp -p m128 -P usb -U lfuse:r:-:i -U hfuse:r:-:i -U efuse:r:-:i

avrdude.exe: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

avrdude.exe: Device signature = 0x1e9702
avrdude.exe: reading lfuse memory:

avrdude.exe: reading hfuse memory:

avrdude.exe: reading efuse memory:

avrdude.exe done. Thank you.

AVRDUDE done - SUCCESSFUL
FUSES: Low=0e High=81 Ext=ff

Should be ok to check voltages with picture guidance. sorry if I'm being a twit, I'm grateful for your patience.

Vic
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Yep, that is the signature from an m128, although it could be a "Fake" m128 also known as "GREEN".
Does the radio always have the blank screen? Or only sometimes?

Please see the attached picture, and measure the voltages between A and G, B and G, C and G. In yellow is the expected voltage you should see..
Be very careful not to short anything while measuring, or you can destroy your radio.

João
Attachments
9X Board Voltages.jpg

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
viknik

Post by viknik »

No, the Tx worked fine, when I was setting up the 4th model settings the screen went blank and after trying new battery, ended up reflashing the firmware and it all came right again except for having to input manually the four model memories. had to do this again when putting in the 8th model, ( the 5th,6th, and 7th went in without any issue). so again had to reflash Tx and manually input all the data, at least I had saved the info on eePe so only had to manually copy it across as it wouldn't transfer the files from laptop to Tx, just kept saying bad files. It appeared to be working fine, range check all ok and flown on several outings without issue, then on Monday, after range check and a minute or so flying time the aircraft just went into spiral dive into field. Screen was blank so connected to laptop and have reflashed the firmware again after saving the memories to eePe, Tx seems to be behaving again ok now but I am reluctant to use it in case it fails again...…. I just have to input all the settings again by hand, even though they are all saved and accessible to view on eePe.

The voltages are; A-G = 11.45v
B-G = 4.98v
C-G = 3.27v

Hope this helps. Vic
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Weird problem, so, you are not able to burn the eeprom back to the radio?

Are you sure that when you lost control of the model the radio battery voltage wasn't too low?

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
viknik

Post by viknik »

when I try to put models back onto Tx, I get 'bad eeprom data' message on TX but on eePe screen I get transfer successful message, however the model names and settings are not shown in the model list. When I reflashed the TX and calibrated the voltage it was still registering 11.8v on the Lipo checker, same as it read before the flight started.

I have never blamed radio failure for a crash before in 40 years of modelling, always preferring to find the cause, (poor pilot judgement, structural failure, etc.) and learn from it, but on this occasion it unfortunately clearly seems to be the culprit.

Vic
Last edited by viknik on Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
viknik

Post by viknik »

On one of these forums I read that you can set eeprom fuses? if there is a glitch which corrupts the eeprom, (meaning I have to reflash,) would setting these fuses maybe stop any 'glitch from wiping the memory causing the screen to go blank, therefore prevent a future crash?

This may be a silly question as , as I have said I am still just scraping the surface of computer radios, and clearly have a lot to learn...…

Vic
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Eepe, Burn menu and then "Set Fuses to protect eeprom" It will change the fuses to protect the eeprom,. that means, your radio's eeprom will not be erased every time you flash the radio..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
viknik

Post by viknik »

Ok, thank you I will try this. should this also stop the radio failing and blank screen? I assume the voltages were within expected parameters so I guess if it is not a problem you have come across then all I can do is proceed with caution with it. don't really want to risk another failing while flying... But don't know how to prove the Tx is ok apart from using it. Any suggestions why I can't save model settings back to TX please?

Thank you for your help and time.

Vic
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

viknik wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:29 am should this also stop the radio failing and blank screen?
I don't think so, I think that is a different problem.
I assume the voltages were within expected parameters so I guess if it is not a problem you have come across then all I can do is proceed with caution with it. don't really want to risk another failing while flying... But don't know how to prove the Tx is ok apart from using it.
I wouldn't use it. Test it on the bench, or with a flight simulator.
The voltages might be good all the time, except when it fails.. Please measure them if it fails again, and while the screen is blank.
Any suggestions why I can't save model settings back to TX please?
Can you post your eeprom here?
How exactly are you trying to flash the model settings back to the TX?
If eepe displays an error while trying to burn the eeprom back to the TX, please copy the text and post it here. The window with the text might disappear, to copy the text, go to "Burn" menu and select "Review Output". then copy all text..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
viknik

Post by viknik »

I have been using this TX for the last 12 months, with several months between failures, because it has only been this last time it has caused a crash rather than frustration I have not considered it a major problem because the failures occurred when programming rather than flying. To be fair I concluded I was doing something wrong to make it lose it's memory with my program input. I don't have any flight simultor programs and there is only so much bench testing that can be done. If, as and when it should fail again I will test the voltages, but as said it is a sporadic problem so may have a long wait again.

To flash model memory back to TX, I connnected and switched on TX, brought up the saved file on eePe, clicked on 'write memory to TX'. Screen came up saying, 'write document 1 to eeperom memory?', I clicked 'yes'. AVRDUDE box opened went through reading then writing, bottom line said 'AVRDUDE done- sucessful', a box came up on screen saying AVRDUDE finished correctly. I clicked OK. On TX it says Alert bad eeprom data, press any key,
I did this to get eeprom formatting, then after a few seconds the usual throttle not idle , etc, showing it had reset the eeprom so all settings had been reset and Tx needed to be set up again from scratch, even with the fuses set. which I understood would preserve the radio settings??

I have also tried to reinstall models by right clicking the file in eeprom editor and 'write to TX' from there, and via the 'burn' tab, each method has the same result on both of my Tx's.

I have tried to paste the eeprom document here but it wont paste, so believe I have put it as an attachment. As I said new to this, sorry.
document1.eepe
eeprom settings, I hope.
(10.06 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
. Hope this is of some help. Thank you.

Vic
viknik

Post by viknik »

I have tried 3 different connection leads, all with the same result.

Vic
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I note that when you have read the fuses above, you got two different values for the high fuse (0x81 and 0x89). Did you read from two different radios?
The one with 0x81 is OK. The one with 0x89 has a bit set that causes the EEPROM to be erased every time you flash the firmware. You need to change that one to 0x81. eepe has an option to do that ("Set Fuses to protect EEPROM" in the burn menu).

There are two places in the preferences dialog where you need to set the processor to '128. Make sure you have set them both.

What firmware file file have you flashed (exact file name please)?

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
viknik

Post by viknik »

I used the same(suspect)Tx both times. I have just checked both TX and they both show 0x81... weird?

Both places in preferences shows M128. one with small m, one with capital. both derive from the drop down lists.

I have tried to 'read from Tx' back to eepe to know what firmware I installed, but when I try to open the saved file. I get a message saying 'error reading file'. then underneath, the message 'File wrong '. The only info I can find is in the preference window which says; current version er9x r821. I hope that is what your asking for, if not how do I find it please?
viknik

Post by viknik »

I have just found on the Tx on the version screen it says;

Vers: V1.747-Mike
Date: 30.11.2016
Sun: er9x-r820

Does this help with which firmware I have??

Thanks. Vic
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Not completely! I'm asking did you flash er9x.hex or er9x-128.hex?
er9x.hex is for the M64 processor, but will run on the '128. However, it only looks for 2K of EEPROM, so if you then write the EEPROM from eepe for the '128, er9x will report "Bad EEPROM".

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
viknik

Post by viknik »

Right, Sorry for the delay in replying, I have now had chance to have a set to with this TX. I now know I was using the er9x. hex. however I have now installed er9x-128.hex, (which I note has a different throttle setting warning on startup).

As an experiment I tried to load the model settings file,(Attached to an earlier post), and after getting the 'bad eeprom data' message as is usual after a flash operation, the screen went blank and stayed so, with just the backlight lit.I left it for 3 minutes in case it took time to sort itself out. I tried to reinstall the 128hex onto TX, eepe said the install was successful at the end of the read, write, read process, but the screen just stayed lit but blank. I checked the voltages as requested by Joao in earlier post and they are the same as in my earlier reply. In the end I reinstalled the er9x hex which went in OK and TX said the usual bad eeprom data press any key, which I did, it formatted and Tx woke up and worked, so I then reflashed the 128 hex onto TX and again got the bad eeprom data press any key message, then after the formatting message it works again!!!!! very strange. Can you tell me if you have been able to istall my model memory file or could it be corrupt to cause this issue? The Tx battery voltage is 11.7v, checked against a LiPo checker under load.

Thanks for your time sir.

Cheers Vic
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Can you read what it is written on the processor? Does it have the word "GREEN"?

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
viknik

Post by viknik »

It says 'GREEN DO', underneath it saysEDO40502-H16D, and beneath that is11 05 24

Vic
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Yeah, just like I thought, that's not a real Atmega128. It is a clone. :(
and perhaps that one has differences and it is somehow not working well..
This is what I think of course..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
viknik

Post by viknik »

Marvellous. I guess it's a new board then, providing you know what chip is on that I suppose??, or can the chip be changed? Or are there any other alternatives you could suggest please??

Thanks .

Vic
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

well, there were many alternatives in the past, including a few upgrade boards with 10 times more power than the stock board.. They would allow voice, more switches and pots, Haptic (vibration) etc. Unfortunately, none of these boards is currently being sold. Perhaps there will be some projects in the near future, hard to say.

The other option you have would be to replace the chip on your board. I would then recommend an Atmega2561 instead. it has the double of the RAM of the m128.

But let's see what Mike (er9x developer) has to say about your problem, perhaps he knows some other solution.. Hopefully he will see these posts..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:

Return to “Software”