Dynamite Prophet Sport Quad 4X50W AC/DC charger

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
25wood25

Dynamite Prophet Sport Quad 4X50W AC/DC charger

Post by 25wood25 »

A word of warning about this charger. I thought that with all modern chargers it is impossible for them to charge the wrong cell count i.e you cannot charge a 2s lipo on a 3s setting. They normally report battery voltage incorrect and do not allow charging to proceed. I found out to my cost that I was wrong. The error was mine for being in a hurry putting my batteries on charge and going quickly on to another job however I must maintain that relatively expensive chargers that are supposed to be ‘intelligent’ should prevent users from making this particular mistake. As an example of the error this was my procedure:- The one charging port was previously setup to charge a 3 cell lipo of capacity 2700 mAh at 2.7 amps. I mistakenly connected a 2 cell lipo of about the same capacity and HELD down the enter/start button for about three seconds. The display showed ‘battery check’ but I was in a hurry so didn’t notice and the display changed to S: 3SER R: 2SER. Pressing the enter/start button once more starts charging the 2s battery at 3s charge rate. This display does not show in the user guide. As a result the battery exploded while I was away from it and nearly burned the garage down. My fault entirely for trusting electronics to stop me making a silly error, but be warned.

jhsa

Re: Dynamite Prophet Sport Quad 4X50W AC/DC charger

Post by jhsa »

You were lucky.. :O
I have some chargers that show the wrong cell count and do start charging if I press the button. But I know this as I made the test following a conversation with some club mates at the field. This is one of the reasons that is good to belong to a club, by the way :) The last charger I bought (from HK) does not start charging a wrong cell count, which is good.

NEVER leave LiPo batteries charging and go away.. NEVER.. As I said, you are a very lucky person.. Others weren't so lucky unfortunately :(
Also please get some fire safe bags designed for putting lipo batteries inside while charging.

João

My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

25wood25 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:54 pm My fault entirely for trusting electronics to stop me making a silly error, but be warned.
Well too bad but it DID warn you to check your settings becasue they didn't appear to match and you told it to continue anyway...

It is pretty standard behavior with most chargers if you don't connect the balance cable, because once it's connected it can know the count is wrong for sure.
But you should always connect the balance cable, so...
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Kilrah, many chargers, and I have 3 of those, start the charge with a wrong cell count even if the balance lead is connected. The software will warn you that the cell number is wrong, but if you press the "OK" button, it will still start charging.. :o This is the case of all my Imax B6, original and fake..

My turnigy Accucell8 WILL NOT start charging, and it will keep warning me.. This is excellent..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

OK, those I have give you the R:X S:Y when the balance cable isn't connected and it thinks there may be a mismatch, but if it is they just tell you cell count error and don't let you go further.

You DO need to pay close attention to that check screen when it appears and dismissing it is a common thing to do since with high cell counts it is impossible to guess the count correctly. Can only be sure up to 3s.

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

The OP seems to have been in a rush to go out and didn't see the screen correctly.
Two mistakes that could have cost him jis garage, or even worse, his house. We know how Lipos burn when they explode..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
25wood25

Post by 25wood25 »

Thanks to you all for your input even those I am going to 'slightly' disagree with. No excusing my inadvertently programming the charger wrongly but I will have to line out an steel ammunition case with ceramic lining to prevent my own stupidity in the future causing a disaster.
My old technology (about 10 years) Pro-Peak constellation charger will not allow you to charge 'say' a 2s lipo on a 3s setting. You can stand on your head with a balaclava on and press all the buttons it simply will not initiate a charge. As we all know the minimum voltage of a lipo cell that a charger will accept is 3volts. So, the Dynamite Prophet Sport Quad should only detect a 3 cell lipo at 9 volts minimum. Under NO circumstances should it allow the charge to initiate with the output battery at 8.4volts ( max for a 2 cell lipo). It is very ,very simple electronic technology for the charging chip to be able to monitor the difference 'in this case' of 0.6 volts between the programmed charge START MINIMUM voltage and the voltage of the connected cells. It does not need to have a balance lead to do this , my PRO Peak doesn’t. Also the screen I mention S: 3SER R: 2SER. does not appear in my manual for the charger WHATS THAT ALL ABOUT, don't the manufacturers know it exists!! Kind Regards to you all.

Return to “Hardware”