RX Failsafe

ersky9xr is the port of the er9x firmware to the 9XRPRO radio.
iFeghali

RX Failsafe

Post by iFeghali »

Hello

Where can I find documentation for failsafe menu under protocol (r221) for XJT ?

Didn’t find anything in the document “9XR PRO ERSKY9x explained”.

Thanks

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

iFeghali

Re: RX Failsafe

Post by iFeghali »

Ok I got it. If anyone else is interested:

1) turn on RX
2) turn on TX
3) go to model setup -> protocol -> external -> long press failsafe
4) set mode to custom
5) set desired channel values or “use actual”
6) press send now (option will blink)
7) press the physical button in RX (the one used for binding). Led will blink twice.
8) turn off TX and observe plane assuming fail safe position

Tested with r221 and XJT / X8R

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

By doing step 7, you are using the option to set the failsafe in the receiver to the currently received values. The Tx will send the custom values every 10 seconds or so, and these will override the settings stored in the Rx.
I discovered recently that the values sent from the Tx are a temporary override, only valid until you power the Rx off. I had added (not sure when) an option to not do this repeat send every 10 seconds, but it is necessary (particularly with the S6R/S8R stabilising receivers as they don't have the "set failsafe on the Rx" option).
On recent test versions the option to not repeat send has been removed.

Test versions are here: http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic ... 676#p65894.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
iFeghali

Post by iFeghali »

When “repeat send” is enabled the radio will keep sending failsafe values even during normal flight ? What’s the purpose?

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

He explained it just above.

iFeghali

RX Failsafe

Post by iFeghali »

Kilrah wrote:He explained it just above.
I’m pretty sure he did but my extremely limited experience in the matter didn’t allow me to understand.

Let me put in points the information I got from his last post:

1) “send now” will send failsafe values to RX once
2) failsafe values stored in RX are lost after a power off
3) because of (2) and because of RXs that do not support failsafe natively, there is an option to repeat send failsafe values every 10 seconds

Now it’s not clear to me exactly how (3) works. If repeat send is enabled, and my RX supports failsafe, will my failsafe values be automatically recovered after a power cycle ?

If repeat send is enabled and my RX DO NOT supports failsafe, values are sent every 10 seconds in the hope RX will receive and hold those values in case of a signal drop ? What if signal drops in between two packets (say 5 seconds after last one) ?

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

With the X8R you have the option of setting the failsafe on the Rx, by putting the channels into the required positions, then pressing the "bind" button. The X8R will store these settings permanently, and, if you do nothing else, will use them when the Tx signal is lost.
These values will still be working after power cycle on the Rx. This option also works on the X6R, X4R etc. and also on the older 'D' receivers.

In addition, you have the option of using the "custom" setting in the Tx, to set the failsafe. These values are sent to the Rx every 10 seconds (always have "repeat send" enabled). The Rx stores and uses these values only until a power off of the Rx.
With the S8R/S6R, the failsafe may only be set in this way, which is why I have now removed the "repeat send" option and always send the failsafe values.

The "send now" setting causes the Tx to send the failsafe values immediately, then start the 10 second repeats from now. I had thought the Rx stored these values permanently, but it does not do so, so you need them being sent so anytime you power the Rx on the failsafe values are set as you require them, or at least within 10 seconds.
Should you get a "brown out" on the Rx, this is like a power cycle, so you need the failsafe values sent regularly to make sure they are in the Rx.

You should find that you only have the failsafe settings available if the XJT module is operating in a mode where the Rx supports failsafe.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I see a little problem. if the brownout occurs just after the TX sent the failsafe values, you will have a receiver without frailsafe during the next 10 seconds in case the RX comes back but doesn't sync immediately, which is not rare. And 10 seconds is a loooonng time with a fast model, specially if it is an internal combustion powered model. :)
In my opinion, one more reason to keep using the trusty D8 protocol ;) :)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Having both a brownout AND a >1sec signal loss simultaneously is highly unlikely.

The old failsafe setting method has nothing to do with D8/D16. It was possible to have remotely set failsafe on D8, and most X receivers do allow for "local" setting.

The remote failsafe setting works like what Futaba has been doing successfully for about 20 years.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Well, you know uncle Murphy is always hiding around the corner.. :) :D
Yes, if I remember well, there was once a ROM for the DJT, where you could set thw failsafe from the tx by hitting the bind button.. I have never tried it as at the time I would not dare flashing my module :) Today I would.. Perhaps the multi module could support something like this.. not sure if the receivers would also have to be flashed.. Anyway, this is subject for another topic :)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Kilrah wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:46 pm Having both a brownout AND a >1sec signal loss simultaneously is highly unlikely.
If you get a brownout with the SxR, then I think the failsafe setting will be lost, and may take up to 10 seconds to be resent, no signal loss involved. Likewise with the XxR, the failsafe setting will revert to any setting you have set using the "bind" button.

I've asked FrSky to clarify what happens.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer

Return to “ersky9xr”