FrSky DHT Module With Telemetry - Anybody Tried It?

Hardware Support for the 9XR Pro
Sterling101

FrSky DHT Module With Telemetry - Anybody Tried It?

Post by Sterling101 »

I'm possibly going to put a FrSky DHT module inside my 9XR-Pro as I want to be able to keep using my Multimodule in the bay but the addition of the genuine module will be handy. I'm going to try and use the internal antenna in the handle for it too, or at least one that will connect to the DHT and fit into the handle.
I've found a post on RCGroups and know it can be done using the internal PPM2 connections but I was wondering if anyone had done it and linked the telemetry into the com port (com2 or com1 I can't remember at present without firing up the radio) at all or had any pointers of what is needed connection wise?
Does it need the TX and RX lines connecting or is it something even simpler that that like the single wire link I installed on my DJT module to enable the telemetry to come through the module bay without the fly lead to the Futaba port.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated as if I can get the info I'll install it over the weekend.
Leigh

Current Kit:-
Taranis X9D plus running ErSkyTx - main radio.
Turnigy 9XR-Pro with internal FrSky DHT Module - used on the simulator.
Retired radios:-
Turnigy i10 with FlySky receivers.
Turnigy I6 - My first Tx now just used on Quads.

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: FrSky DHT Module With Telemetry - Anybody Tried It?

Post by MikeB »

COM port 2 is wired to the Futaba socket. I've not seen inside a production 'PRO, but the wires go to J7. I don't know if these are soldered in or plugged in to a header (they plug in on my prototype but I had to wire them in myself!).
Com2 has transistor inverters and connects directly to the DHT.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Oh, there is something I still didn't do to my PRO :)
Actually, I have a few mods for this radio that I want to try.
- Internal module with RF power switch for both modules, controlled bu the firmware. as all my other radios.
- Safe main power switch. It will keep the radio ON even if the main switch fails. It happened on my 9XR-PRO :(
I also have this in all my other radios. On this one I might try a Soft Power switch with a pushbutton to turn the radio ON and OFF ;) I have been wanting to do this for a while now ;) :)
The problem with this radio is the lack of space inside :(

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

jhsa wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:28 pm Oh, there is something I still didn't do to my PRO :)
Actually, I have a few mods for this radio that I want to try.
- Internal module with RF power switch for both modules, controlled bu the firmware. as all my other radios.
- Safe main power switch. It will keep the radio ON even if the main switch fails. It happened on my 9XR-PRO :(
I also have this in all my other radios. On this one I might try a Soft Power switch with a pushbutton to turn the radio ON and OFF ;) I have been wanting to do this for a while now ;) :)
The problem with this radio is the lack of space inside :(

João
I'll pull it apart shortly and have a look inside.
Already upgraded the gimbals to the regular taranis ones but can't remember where there was space etc in there but at least this module is pretty slimline so shouldn't cause too many problems hopefully.
Leigh

Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

Well, I think it was a successful install!

Ideally I need to get an antenna with a longer fly lead attached but that's not too much of a problem, just hard over the Easter weekend so won't have the replacement until Monday.

I did a quick test on the mode switch that comes with the DHT module and for normal 2 way use, which all my FrSky receivers are, then the signal wire floats that comes from the switch. In 1 way mode one side connects thought, and FW mode the other side connects through. So for normal use the switch could be left unplugged, which is what I've done. Mainly due to the limited locations for the switch and the chance of knocking it inadvertently I figured it would the best way to go with it and if I need to upgrade the firmware later I can just plug it in as required.

The bind button and status LED was a simple job to install though with just two 4mm holes drilled in the rear of the case.
IMG_20180331_184231_034.jpg
Internally the module is attached to the back of the case and the PPM2 port is socketed on my board and handily shares the same connector as the gimbal pots, which I have spares of, so I've used some wiring and spliced the DHT wires into the connector. The telemetry link is just a servo extension tracked across and plugged into COM2 where the Futaba port was plugged into. The wiring from the Futaba port I've just coiled up and stowed away in the cavity above the gimbal.
IMG_20180331_184250_957.jpg
Actually fits in quite well and it has passed the first test of a bind and basic range test. Only awkward part was getting the wiring in the right place as I put the case back together but nothing too major.
Can't do a proper range test as yet due to the weather, but as soon as I can I'll give it a proper test.

Hopefully it'll be a worthwhile upgrade!
Leigh

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Nice :)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

Strange thing happened while I was setting up the rudder and elevator on my BAe Hawk last night.

Bound the D8R-XP to the DHT fine, plugged in the rudder and elevator servos and powered up the receiver and the servo's went crazy!
A lot more than just jitter, more like 50% swing about centre on all 3 (have two servos for the elevator). I'd already programmed the flaps and gear into the mixer and found it eased up the more channels I activated. So it got a little better with the gear channel activated (ch5) and a little better again with the flaps channel activated (ch6).

I managed to calm it down properly by changing the PPM frame length to 23.5mSec and brought setting that was at 300uS down to 150uS.

Now I'm fairly new to using both this module and also the PPM side of things on the 9XR-Pro so didn't know if this is quite common or just a fluke that may have a bearing on whether it's bound properly or whether it's an interference thing?

Anybody got any clues or previous experience?
Leigh

Sterling101

Post by Sterling101 »

Quick update. Tested it again tonight and even on the default settings it's fine?

May be had a strange bit of interference last night as I powered both the Tx and Rx on and off a few times last night while testing?

Still be interested to know if anyone else has ever had similar though - I did think initially swamping as I had it all close together but even at 10 metres away it was still the same.
Leigh

Return to “Turnigy 9XR PRO radio”