Taranis X9D (original one). Cant get into bootloader.

Help with any software/desktop related issues. e.g. companion9x, eePe, etc
Raptor67

Taranis X9D (original one). Cant get into bootloader.

Post by Raptor67 »

Hello.
I purchased my Taranis back when they very first came out (2012 or 2013?)
Due to reasons of changing lifestyle, I never really got to play with it at the time.
Now I'm getting back into RC and I need to upgrade the firmware. Its still 1.1.02
However, I cant get the Taranis to go into bootloader mode.
I tried turning it on with the Horizontal trim buttons both pushed to the center. No change. Just boots up normally.
Was there a different way of getting into the bootloader on the early Taranis?
Failing that, is there a way of loading the new firmware via the SD Card?

Thanks in Advance.

jtaylor

Re: Taranis X9D (original one). Cant get into bootloader.

Post by jtaylor »

The bootloader wasn't added until openTX 2.0 so your Taranis won't have it. You will need to upgrade using the power off methoid using Zadig (if you are using Windows) https://github.com/opentx/opentx/wiki/T ... ootloaders . It sounds like you don't really have any models that will need converted (not sure how well that would go from that far back) so I would just download the latest Companion (2.2.1 http://www.open-tx.org/2017/12/16/opentx-2.2.1 ) and upgrade using the power off method and reprogram your models. You will also need to upgrade your SD card with the corresponding version contents http://downloads.open-tx.org/2.2/sdcard/

http://open-txu.org/home/undergraduate- ... ing-zadig/

Jim
Raptor67

Post by Raptor67 »

Thanks heaps.
I was starting to wonder if I was going nuts as I coudlnt find anything in the manual about how to got into it (all 4 pages of the manual I got)!
No Bootloader on my version. Well, that makes a lot more sense.
I'll try out what you suggest tonight and let you know how I go.
Thanks again.

P.S. I assume that the latest firmware will include the bootloader after I've flashed it to 2.x?
Philip.
Raptor67

Post by Raptor67 »

All sorted. Thanks again.
I gave up trying on my high end Windows 10 PC (Win 10 really needs its USB drivers completely revised IMHO).
I'm sure I could off got it working eventually but it was smooth sailing once I switched to my 6 year old laptop with minimal installed c**p and Win7
Bootloader is working, my 2 old models upgraded no issues and I will be flying them this weekend.
Thanks heaps Jim.
Buy you a beer if I ever meet you.
Philip.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

On Windows 10, I use Zadig to set the STM bootloader driver to "WinUSB (v6.1.7600.16385)". then all works OK. I've also disabled Windows from updating my drivers automatically, as I've had to re-install several because Windows updated them to "better" ones that didn't work!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

One of the reasons I would like to move completely to Linux. :)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Raptor67

Post by Raptor67 »

I try not to let M$ do anything automatically on my PC's.
Auto updates can be the cause of all sorts of problems.
I usually allow updates to go ahead after about a month if there has not been an uproar about them causing issues, and then only selectively.
Years ago I Spent too many hours on clients computers diagnosing issues that turned out to be MS driver auto updates, or security updates of all things.
Not looking forward to the next Major MS auto update (CPU Meltdown security hole). Anyway, getting off topic.
Taranis is updated and working well thanks to help from this forum. Currently purchasing a set of Hall effect gimbals for it. Looking at SMA antenna mod for it next. Mono-pole just doesn't cut it any more.
Vietnow

Post by Vietnow »

Guys I got the same radio and when I go to the companion and put write it says can't extract radio/radio.bin please help. My version is also 1.02 thanks
Raptor67

Post by Raptor67 »

Not expert on Taranis by any means, but first thing I would try is downloading it again in case you have a corrupted copy. Check size and checksum of both files and if different, clear your download cache (google "clear cache [your browser]") and keep downloading it until they match. There are checksum checking programs available via a quick search on google for "checksum file checker". For windows you can download md5checker (free). http://getmd5checker.com . Its a small app that will do the trick and allow you to check several files one at a time,but display them all together so you can see if there is a difference. I believe Linux has a checksum calculator built in, and I have no idea about what apple might have.

Failing that, try using another SD card, might be an issue with the memory. See if you can copy it off the card onto your PC/Mac. If you discover issues with the card, then dont be tempted to format it and use it as if nothing went wrong. If something went wrong once, its only a matter of time (and usually not much) before it happens again. They are cheap now and simply not worth the aggravation WHEN they screw up again.

Hope that helps.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

It won't because all of it is irrelevant.

He's just mixing radio firmware and companion version from 5 years apart, need to match them. More advice would need actually knowing what he's looking to do.
EricR

Post by EricR »

i have a similar situation, but am having trouble getting mine to connect to the computer. I am trying to upgrade my x9d classic from 1.1.02, and am running windows 7. I downloaded the latest Zadig and Companion, with the radio off I plugged it into my computer and windows pops up with ( USB device not recognized ). I go to device manager and it shows ( Unknown Device ) under the Universal Serial Bus controllers tab. When i look at Zadig it also shows it as unknown device. I checked properties for the "unknown device" and it says ( windows has stopped the device because it has reported problems code 43 ). I was thinking maybe something was wrong with the cable because it is from an old digital camera or who knows what and has just been laying in a box for an unknown amount of years. So after work i stopped and got a new one today but had no change to my problem. I am not sure if the problems is with my computer or the transmitter itself, and i do not have another computer to plug it into to try. i hope someone has an idea because

Thanks

Return to “Software”