How to setup 6 position rotary switch on Taranis+

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
jonrev

How to setup 6 position rotary switch on Taranis+

Post by jonrev »

Hi all. Have asked on RCG but no reply so wondered if Mike or Joao or someone knowledgeable might be on here.

Just got a faulty Taranis+ sorted and it has a rotary switch fitted and connected to the 'S3' pads on the backboard. I run Er9x on all my Tx's so would like to use it on this X9d+ but can't see how to set it up with this firmware.
All the tutorials I've found seem to be for switches replacing one of the fitted ones rather than an extra one. I tried it with OpenTx and it works fine but would rather stay with Er9x if I can sort out how to get this switch working.

No doubt it's very simple and no doubt it's explained somewhere but I just can't seem to find the info. Would be grateful if someone could point me to instructions.

Thanks
John

jhsa

Re: How to setup 6 position rotary switch on Taranis+

Post by jhsa »

John, I don't own a Taranis radio, but if you say that the 6POS switch is connected to S3 then I think all you have to do is to configure and calibrate it in the hardware menu.
The hardware menu is protected in ersky9x for obvious reasons. To enable it, just power your transmitter ON while holding the left horizontal trim to the left for a second or so. then release it. Now you can enter the hardware menu in Radio Setup / Hardware.
Select the 6POS switch source, and configure it to S3. As soon as you do this, some fields for calibration will appear on the screen.
Please watch the following video to learn how to calibrate the 6POS switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=981zcTdqoNU&t=1s

Please lets us know if all went well.

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
jonrev

Post by jonrev »

Hi Joao and thanks for your input. Forgot you hadn't moved to Taranis- not surprising after all the mods you've done on your 9x. You've made yourself a really nice radio there.

Have gone to the hardware menu and the six pos switch is listed but only gives the same options as you have of P1, P2 or P3. Choosing any of these doesn't bring up the options you have on your radio for setting the outputs? Probably just a different setup procedure but not of any use unless I can set S3 as the source.

In OpenTx you can choose the 6pos sw location as S3 and then go on to calibrate it on the calibration screen with the sticks and pots- dead simple.

I'm using the latest X9dp (ersky9x for Taranis plus) build from the ER9x site list which I assume is the latest release available?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

jonrev wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:16 am Hi Joao and thanks for your input. Forgot you hadn't moved to Taranis- not surprising after all the mods you've done on your 9x. You've made yourself a really nice radio there.
I consider my radios a little better than the Taranis as far as hardware is concerned, and of course, because of ersky9x. But that is my opinion.. Ersky9x does support more extra hardware on most of the radios and boards as far as I know.
It was my decision not to have a Taranis, as I don't like it that much because of several reasons, but this is a subject for another topic :)
Have gone to the hardware menu and the six pos switch is listed but only gives the same options as you have of P1, P2 or P3. Choosing any of these doesn't bring up the options you have on your radio for setting the outputs? Probably just a different setup procedure but not of any use unless I can set S3 as the source.

I'm using the latest X9dp (ersky9x for Taranis plus) build from the ER9x site list which I assume is the latest release available?
Perhaps Mike can answer this better than me.
maybe you have a quite old version of Ersky9x installed? Please check the latest test version. you can find the test versions at:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4676

Even if they are called test versions, they are considered stable. There might have been improvements in the Hardware menu as far as the 6POS switch is concerned.
Calibrating in ersky9x is very simple and completely straight forward. Have you watched the video I linked above?
It explains how to do it.

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Select "P3" for the 6-POS switch.
If the switch a FrSky one? If so, it should then work, if wired up the "right" way round!
It seems, because I assumed it would be a FrSky switch, I haven't included the 6-POS calibration in the X9D/X9DP, just hard coded the settings.
I'll get the calibration included anyway, it is there for the Horus, since that comes with a 6-pos switch as standard.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

I think somewhere in openrcforums there info about making the setting in erSky9x on Taranis about 6-pos switch.
Could not find, but maybe this will be of some help: (viewtopic.php?f=126&t=8479).

Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

It looks like I have the 6-POS calibration in for the X9D/X9D+. I've included a check at power on so existing users that are using the standard, hard coded, values get a warning indicating they need to calivrate their 6-POS switch.

Hopefully, I'll post a "g2" test version later today or tomorrow with this in.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jonrev

Post by jonrev »

Thank you guys. The 6pos does indeed work in the P3 position. What was throwing me was that after setting the option in 'hardware' I was going to the calibration screen to activate it. This screen still only shows four bars so I assumed it wasn't showing. In fact it is there at far left in place of the left slider which has now disappeared?
Now I can live without the slider as a flight modes switch is more important to me but would still really like everything present and correct if possible. Am I still missing something?

Joao I have watched your vid re. the settings for the switch and I actually understand it (which it unusual for me). Thank you for that.

I had thought that the ER9x site was the place to get the release versions of the various 9x firmware etc. from the main list. Thought the test versions were just that and for someone with limited capacity (like me) were not a good idea. Every frimware is a test for me and thought it was a bad move to test myself any further with systems which may have bugs?
I do read a helluva lot on this site and RCG trying to get to grips with all the technicalities but find it a struggle. I'll sometimes be reading a thread and get 500 posts in before I realise they are dated from 2012 and aren't really relevant anymore. I've been tending to start with the last post and read from there backwards when looking for info that's up to date. Sometimes confusing but hey!

Wish there was a FAQ thread somewhere just purely giving definitive factual information which can be efficiently searched by heading sections. Taranis-firmware-etc.-etc. or 9xrPro- hardware- diagnosing- repair etc. or Tgy9x- hardware- upgrades- etc. Hell we've got software supremos, hardware hackers, repair experts, what we need now is an information collater!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've now posted "g2" with 6-pos switch calibration included for the Taranis.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jonrev

Post by jonrev »

That's great thank you Mike I'll grab it now and give it a go. Actually loaded one of my Taranii (?) with OTX and been playing with it since so many of the YT vids I found are using it. For the life of me I can't get used to the buttons now. So used to the ER9x way with everything similar between a 9x, 9xr and Taranis I find it more 'natural'. Must feel a bit like going from a Mode 2 controller to Mode 1.
jonrev

Post by jonrev »

Well just loaded up g2 and in hardware there's now a calibration screen similar to the one Joao shows in his vid. All seemed well and steps entered ok.
Jumped to the calibration screen and still only showing four bars- 2 sticks, right slider and 6pos so it seems the switch has displaced the LH slider.
In Diagana the right slider shows up as A5 third column and responds approx -100 to 100 (also seems to show up on third column of RH?). 6 pos shows as A7 and seems fine with -100 to 100 in steps of 40 (also seems to affect BT third column) but when I operate LH slider it operates the first column of A7 00A0 to 07AA. All this means very little to me but it still seems the 6pos is stealing the LHS real estate rather than finding it's own plot.

Starting to sort of regret finding this radio with it's 6pos. I was doing so well using two switches for my flight modes too :-)
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Something doesn't look right, give me some time to look into this. I've just plugged a 6-pos into a plus (on P3) and I can see DIAGANA is not quite right, and the left slider isn't working correctly when P3 is set to 6-pos.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

OK, I've posted a new test version, just for the plus, with this problem fixed. Select P3 as the 6-pos switch, and the left slider still works as expected.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jonrev

Post by jonrev »

Thank you Mike. Loaded up and working fine. Main calibration page now shows bars for two pots and two sliders again. 6pos isn't there now like it is in OTX but I assume it's just a difference between the two firmware implementations.
I haven't actually got anything set up to try out on this Tx but will let you know if there's anything I can't work out when I start using it.

Really pleased I can keep using ER9x after spending so much time learning the basics of it. Once again a big thank you to you for the work you do in developing and the time and patience you give in helping those who have 'broken' radio gear when they ask for help. I've managed to fix at least five transmitters by following the advice you've given to others with similar faults on various forums. Hope you never get bored with RC and all of us you help.

Thanks again
John
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The next test version will show a bar on the left when the 6-POS switch is configured on the P3 input.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jonrev

Post by jonrev »

Great stuff. I'll look out for that one.

Cheers
John

Return to “Hardware”