SkySurfer with flaps setup?

If you have a model config you would like to share. Post it here!
ShowMaster

SkySurfer with flaps setup?

Post by ShowMaster »

At a club event I bought a newer SkySurfer that has flaps and ailerons and need some advice on what I can do with the flaps.
Up until now I've only had the 4 ch version. Would I want to use flaps on a glider type wing as just flaps or couple it to have more aileron area or up like spoilers, or all the above? Er9x is my main FW but I'm open to any mix combinations to take advantage of the extra control surfaces on the wing.
I know there are many experiences glider flyers on the forum so I thought I'd get your input.
I'm an experienced flyer and pretty good at aerobatic flying but never bothered with flaps in the past.
Thanks
SM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.

gohsthb

Re: SkySurfer with flaps setup?

Post by gohsthb »

How many servos in the wing? If it is 4 then you can have everything a glider could do -> flaps, extra ailerons, or crow. Flaps are fun, I have them on a Nexstar trainer. The most fun is to see if you can stop the plane (relative to ground) before landing. It really only takes a couple of mile an hour breeze to accomplish this.
-Gohst
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

4 in the wing +1 el +1 Rud.
6 total.
Brushless motor, folding prop, speed control.
No book with it, open box, all the parts except wing rod joiners. Hollow tubes in the wings and I found a carbon rod that fits inside them so I'm good to go.
Maybe the motor is a 1800-2200 Kv.
I'm trying to find the Blitz SkySurfer with flaps manual or where it's being sold for more details.
So far I only find the 4 ch version, no flaps like I'm used to flying for fun.
Anyone know more about this model?
In any case, do I use the flaps as flaps or also couple them to the aileron channel at times for super size ailerons or maybe super flaparons?
I'm up to trying any crazy combo if I can figure out how go program the mixes.
SM

Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

I have a couple normal Skysurfers without flaps but I do have one set to use Spoilerons. The response to the ailerons is more than enough to not require anything like super ailerons. IMO I would use the flaps as flaps.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I may put the new Taranis in it if it ever ships to try the side case pots. My pcm10 had them and I never used them because I never used flaps. I've been using the 3way switch but like the idea of dialing them in. Probably if I can figure out the mix combination I could have both options for flaps.
In any case, I'll use flaps as flaps. Thanks for the advice.

Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

I don't know what flavour of firmware you are using. Maybe this might help you getting started ----> http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=3715

Even though the Skysurfer happens to be a small model. It will thermal and without spoilerons or flaps it will float on for a fair time, making it not so easy to land when there isn't much wind.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Thanks for the link. My record flight with my SkySurfer was 1 hr 30 min. We were at the desert, 120 deg temp under an umbrella drinking night train. I had to land to get more night train.
A lot of up drafts that day.
Also a big headache that night!
Go figure.

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

It sounds like you had fun :) not the headache part of course :mrgreen:
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Yes it was fun until later ha ha.
Getting back to the flaps, I think due to the servo cutout I may have to reverse the servos in one wing or at least one flap servo. Here's where an 8xh RX and great FW will pay off. I'm gong the drive each servo with its own channel so I can do any mix I can think of. I may make the 8th a parachute drop.
For a plastic plane I've really enjoyed the v4 I've been flying as my radio test plane for 2 years and still going.

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

or you could parachute the plane itself ;)

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

SM,
This is my setup that I use for the HK Phoenix2000, with flaps and ailerons used for crow and camber and more.

For every mix I'm describing what it is used for so it should be possible to adapt it to different layouts (e.g. it's for mode 1 tx)
One file for ER9x and one file for OpenTx

Reinhard

Edit:
I have added the two model files according to the descriptions.They are directly downloaded from my radios and therefore contain offsets and some servo reverse in the limits menu
ER9X_Phönix_en.pdf
(58.64 KiB) Downloaded 898 times
OpenTx_Phönix_en.pdf
(52.35 KiB) Downloaded 865 times
ER9X_Phoenix.hex
downloaded from m64 radio
(4.82 KiB) Downloaded 620 times
OpentTx_Phoenix.hex
downloaded from m128 radio
(9.64 KiB) Downloaded 590 times
Last edited by ReSt on Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

Nicely documented, very well done.
Thank you.

Its almost a perfect model for what i'ld like to see us be able to do in eepe or c9x.

An example with enough explanation that someone can easily understand where controls are and what they are supposed to do. Its the kind of example that would be nice to have stored in a forum for er9x or c9x or TARANIS. :mrgreen:

Just add the real er.eepe or c9.bin files.
Dean
OldDmbThms: 1. Takeoff, 2. Crash, 3. Repair, GOTO 1
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Yes well done.
I agree, this is important info to have posted in the mix topics.
With the sim feature one can see how it works and mix and match setups before actually flying them.
Thank you.
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

I have appended in the above post the ER9X (from M64) and the OPENTX (from M128) files as downloaded from the radios.
Therefore they contain offsets and some servo reverse to fit to the plane.

Reinhard
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

ReSt wrote:I have appended in the above post the ER9X (from M64) and the OPENTX (from M128) files as downloaded from the radios.
Therefore they contain offsets and some servo reverse to fit to the plane.

Reinhard

I've been dissecting your mixes. I hereby dub you king of the mixes.
johnrcglider

Post by johnrcglider »

Hi I have imported your file into OpenTx but in the input screen it doesnt show any inputs is that correct or has it not imported properly? If there are meant to be input values have you please got a picture or list of them so I can add them, I am using Companion 2.2

Thanks John
johnrcglider

Post by johnrcglider »

I also only have mixes for channels 1 - 8 nothing past 8, and no inputs,

My controller is set to mode 4, control order A T E R would this have anything to do with it? Thanks
johnrcglider

Post by johnrcglider »

johnrcglider wrote:I also only have mixes for channels 1 - 8 nothing past 8, and no inputs,

My controller is set to mode 4, control order A T E R would this have anything to do with it? Thanks
Another update have managed to open file in eePe and it shows all 16 ch mixes but need it in eePskye as I have 9XR Pro any one can help please convert

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Open the eeprom with the model in eepe. Open, or create another eeprom in eepskye.
Drag the model fromm eepe to a model slot in the eeprom in eepskye. Ignore the error report.
Check everything works on the model as er9x and ersky9x can be a bit different, so some settings could be missing or wrong.. in general, most of it should work

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
johnrcglider

Post by johnrcglider »

jhsa wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:55 am Open the eeprom with the model in eepe. Open, or create another eeprom in eepskye.
Drag the model fromm eepe to a model slot in the eeprom in eepskye. Ignore the error report.
Check everything works on the model as er9x and ersky9x can be a bit different, so some settings could be missing or wrong.. in general, most of it should work

João
I can get it to work with ersky9x but I find this hard to understand as used to OpenTx which has a separate menu for inputs and outputs, and the pdf file is for Open9x which doesn't seem to have inputs and outputs screen, any ideas on what the inputs would be? Or am I better off using ersky9x?

Thanks John
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

OpenTx uses "Outputs", on ersky9x it is the "Limits" menu.
ersky9x has the EXPO/DR menu, where you set expo and dual-rates for the sticks.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Open9x is quite old. Back then, there was no Inputs screen (as is still the case for ErSky9x). As for outputs, it has changed names in OpenTX from Limits, to Outputs to Servos, if I recall correctly. In ErSky9x it’s called Limits.
I suggest you simply focus on either OpenTX or ErSky9x and learn how it works. You will then be in a position to figure out the old programming you are trying to emulate.
I’m a fan of ErSky9x but have done enough with OpenTX to know that both are very good and can do nearly anything you’re likely to need.
By the way, in ErSky9x you start with a basic four channel model in the mixer page. Go to the screen with bar graphs for the first 8 channels and you will see how the sticks control the four channels. To add another channel, select the channel and Edit. First item you’ll see is Source — you can select from the sticks, knobs, switches and various other inputs. This is how Inputs is handled in ErSky9x.
johnrcglider

Post by johnrcglider »

Thank you, hopefully I can understand it a bit better now.

Return to “Template Library”