ERSKY9X Coding

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
MikeB
9x Developer

Re: ERSKY9X Coding

Post by MikeB »

No, where did you post it? I can''t find it?
The 'D' protocol only supports 8-bit ID values and the A3 and A4 analog values use 16-bit IDs (0x0900), so no, the 'D' protocol can't support A3 and A4.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Thanks Mike..I posted a few posts above.

But would it be possible to implement the "Range" for them anyway?

Thanks

João

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

That's the sort of thing that Scalers are for!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Right, but scalers are not for dumb people like myself. I wouldn't know how to calculate the divider ratio into a scaler :)
The only thing I can do is set the divider to 100 and start increasing the multiplier until the value is equal to the voltage. But I guess that is wrong? ;)
What I want to say is that many people might not take advantage from those analog inputs because they aren't good at math.

I use scalers for much more complicated stuff, like automatic maximum throttle percentage depending on the voltage of the battery. But that didn't work very well because of the telemetry delay, :(

I am asking this because I have been working on a little project with another forum member that uses those inputs. It would be nice if they could be easily accessed in Ersky9x.. But if not, then scalers of course.. :)
Be prepared for many questions how to make it work ;) :) :mrgreen:

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

jhsa wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:16 amThe only thing I can do is set the divider to 100 and start increasing the multiplier until the value is equal to the voltage.
Perfectly good way to configure the scaler. With the range on A1 and A2, you might typically start by knowing the hardware is (say) 4:1, so you set the range value to 4 times 3.3V (=13.2V). So, with the scaler and a known 4:1 hardware divider, set the Scaler divider to 100 and the multiplier to 400 to start with, then adjust (as you would with the range on A1/A2) to get the correct reading.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

OK, for global voice alerts, I've tagged them on to the end of the normal model voice alerts. You just edit them exactly the same as a model voice alert, and they work exactly the same. The only difference is they are stored in the radio settings area, and appear in all models.
They are labelled GVA1, GVA2 etc. For testing I've only added 2 of them, but it is a simple change to add a few more.

I set one to announce the radio battery voltage every 5 seconds, and this was then working when I selected another model.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Ok, thanks for the rapid response, Mike. I've got something else on today, but I'll try to give them a test later today or early tomorrow.
regards,
ozphoenix
MikeB wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:04 pm OK, for global voice alerts, I've tagged them on to the end of the normal model voice alerts. You just edit them exactly the same as a model voice alert, and they work exactly the same. The only difference is they are stored in the radio settings area, and appear in all models.
They are labelled GVA1, GVA2 etc. For testing I've only added 2 of them, but it is a simple change to add a few more.

I set one to announce the radio battery voltage every 5 seconds, and this was then working when I selected another model.

Mike.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've posted "e9" with 2, Global voice alerts in. I've only done a quick test on a 9XR-PRO, so these need a bit more testing on other radios as well.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Mike, what about a sub menu for these? In voice alarms of course It could be called Global VA, so people know what they are and don't ask a thousand times on the forum :) .. After it is tested of course.. :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Hi Mike,
Have downloaded and installed and tried it. It works as advertised and I understand that it was a 'quick fix' to a non-critical problem, but a couple of observations-- though please correct me if I'm wrong:
1. It seems counter-intuitive to set up a global (radio-wide) voice alert within a model - that's what the radio menus are for, aren't they? There seem to be a couple of spare lines on the second page of the General Menu in Radio Setup - maybe there is a good place?
2. It seems to require a Switch to be nominated in the GVA setup, as well as a TRIGGER of ON, before it will work when the radio is switched on and the nominated switch must be in the nominated position or it will not work - and, if you use such a nominated switch for other things, you may get conflicting functions or messages. Or, am I not setting it up correctly?

regards,
ozphoenix
MikeB wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:50 pm I've posted "e9" with 2, Global voice alerts in. I've only done a quick test on a 9XR-PRO, so these need a bit more testing on other radios as well.

Mike.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I think it is an option for the Radio / setup menu, but not for the General menu..
I can see why Mike put them in the model setup. It stays together with the same type of option. being a global option, it means that you can edit it from any model, but it still a global setting. There are other menus that despite being in the model setup index menu are global settings. It is case of the Bluetooth men. Some settings are model based, and some are global. And it has to be like that.. Another example is the music menu, you can select all the switches that control the player in every model, but you have a global configure menu..
One of the problems is that the 9x and 9XR/PRO radios screens are too small for so many options.
To clean it up some options should be grouped in sub menus.
For example in this case, perhaps the audio haptic menu should have a sub-menu inside called for example "Global Voice" or whatever fits on the screen.
Then, inside, a few Global Voice Alarms and also an option to select a different file for the Welcome message, and also an option to turn it OFF even if the splash screen is turned ON or OFF..
If able to turn it OFF, we might be able to configure an welcome message using the model VAs.
A "Random" option/trigger would also be cool :) but i guess that would involve a folder only for the welcome messages.. ;)

I think making a sub menu in the AudioHaptic menu would be the best final solution for the current menus, and would keep it organized and clean. If I wanted to find such a global option, the AudioHaptic menu would be the first place I would look for it..

Just my 2c

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

ozphoenix:
1. Maybe, but then if you are setting up voice alerts in a model, and think "this would be useful on all models", you can edit them where you are. So all voice alerts are in the same menu. Several ways, as usual, to think of things.
2. The switch setting is optional. Right at the end of the trigger options is "ONCE". Just use this trigger, leave the switch at "---", and the selected voice file is played just once, currently when a model is loaded.

I am considering if "ONCE" on a global voice alert should play just once at power on, rather than on model load.

I'll give where, and how, in menus things appear some more thought.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

MikeB wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:01 pm

Mike.
Thanks Mike.
Another menu that need a look is the telemetry menu.. I see you have already been organizing some options and it does look already much better. But I think it could be improved. There seem to be some settings that are alarms that are related to sensors, like the Blade number, A1/2, RSSI, GPS, etc settings for example. These could be grouped in another sub menu, maybe called "?Sensors?". Then, the "Telemetry" menu name IN THE POPUP could maybe be changed to "Configure". This would be where all the telemetry Protocol, COM port, and Baud Rate settings would be. The result would be a much cleaner menu tree, easy to navigate and with just a few options to look at at the time..
It is easier to find what we need if the options are reasonably well grouped..
I for example, do have trouble every time I need to look at the Model Setup / General menu..Most of the times I go around the menu twice forwards and backwards before I can find the option I need.. :( I'm not exaggerating here, this really happens most of the time. On every model I configure the Volume Pot, and sometimes when I copy models from one radio to the other I need to change this setting. I know that to get to this setting I need to enter the menu and then move backwards, and it should be somewhere near the end.. Guess what, most of the times I pass the setting and don't see it.. Maybe it is me, but there are far too many settings in only one menu.. Another setting that I find difficult to find is the Extended limits setting. The problem is that there are too many different settings categories in just one single menu, and we must read all of them or we don't find what we need. The list is really long.

There are other menus that were nearly as bad as the model setup / General menu that are now really well organized and we can find all settings easily without making any mistakes. For example, the superb face lift you gave to the Protocol menu :) It is wonderful now, and easy to navigate.. Thanks a lot for that.

Also, I hope you don't mind if I insist at least on an option to turn the welcome message OFF, and perhaps also selecting another file without having to mess with the Welcome.wav file every time we need a different one..
Sometimes, listening to the same thing at power on can be a bit Boring.. Something like if we ate fish and chips every day :mrgreen:

Thank you

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Most of these sort of menu changes will take a bit of time to implement. The addition of some global voice alerts was quite easy with where I've put them, they re-used the existing code very easily.
How many global voice alerts do we need, I'm thinking 8 should be more than sufficient?

The radio AudioHaptic menu already has 7 items in it. To add anything else does require more changes as another item doesn't fit on the display directly, I need to either have the menu scroll or add a second 'page'.

I wonder if the "Extended Limits" setting should appear as the first line on the Limits menu?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

MikeB wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:28 pm Most of these sort of menu changes will take a bit of time to implement. The addition of some global voice alerts was quite easy with where I've put them, they re-used the existing code very easily.
I can imagine :(
How many global voice alerts do we need, I'm thinking 8 should be more than sufficient?
I think so.
The radio AudioHaptic menu already has 7 items in it. To add anything else does require more changes as another item doesn't fit on the display directly, I need to either have the menu scroll or add a second 'page'.
Perhaps a second page, as most of the other menus??

I wonder if the "Extended Limits" setting should appear as the first line on the Limits menu?
We could try that and see how it feels.. It does make sense. The only problem I see is if we turn it ON / OFF by mistake. But as long as the limits are still at 100% max/min, nothing will change until the values are changed.

Thinking a bit further, I wonder if that setting is really needed. I say this because when creating a model, the limits default to 100%, if we need more we could just increase to whatever we need up to the 125%. I don't actually see the need for an E.Limits option, and I believe that it could be removed.. And you would free a line on the menu.

Thanks

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've posted "f1". This fixes a bug in configuring the baudrate for the Orange DSM module for the 9XR-PRO (the one that uses the internal antenna).
It also has 8, global voice alerts.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Thanks Mike.. Ersky9x finally got the racing status ;) with the "Formula 1" (F1) version :mrgreen:

Thank you

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Thanks - downloaded - will install it and have a bit of a look - no flying until Sunday and even then we are predicted rain - yes, please - will even give up one morning flying to get more water :) but, not two :(
MikeB wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:36 pm I've posted "f1". This fixes a bug in configuring the baudrate for the Orange DSM module for the 9XR-PRO (the one that uses the internal antenna).
It also has 8, global voice alerts.

Mike.
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Hi Mike,
I've just tried 'f1' and have some immediate comments - hope they're helpful:
MikeB wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:01 pm ozphoenix:
1. Maybe, but then if you are setting up voice alerts in a model, and think "this would be useful on all models", you can edit them where you are. So all voice alerts are in the same menu. Several ways, as usual, to think of things.
Agreed, this can be useful and should be kept this way, as in'f1'. And, eight GVAx is plenty, I think. But, see below @#2.
MikeB wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:01 pm 2. The switch setting is optional. Right at the end of the trigger options is "ONCE". Just use this trigger, leave the switch at "---", and the selected voice file is played just once, currently when a model is loaded.

I am considering if "ONCE" on a global voice alert should play just once at power on, rather than on model load.

Mike.
Ok, this works as you say, without a switch, but my original problem was to remind a user of something at power up and/or provide a custom welcome message that can later be changed to another without the need to connect to a computer. This current implementation, where it plays every time a model is selected, is ok for some things, but certainly not for welcome messages, which now play every time I change a model - that is distracting :(
MikeB wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:01 pm The radio AudioHaptic menu already has 7 items in it. To add anything else does require more changes as another item doesn't fit on the display directly, I need to either have the menu scroll or add a second 'page'.
I think it needs to be in the Radio Menu. And, the AudioHaptic menu (or, a new second page of that menu) is a good place.

Regards,
ozphoenix
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I can see we agree on that :mrgreen:

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

:lol:
jhsa wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:44 am I can see we agree on that :mrgreen:

João
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I now have ONCE only playing at power on for global voice alerts, on model voice alerts ONCE plays on model load (which includes at power on).
The model voice alert menu now has a single option at the end of the model voice alerts "Global Voice Alerts", which you may select and then you get a global alerts menu.
The radio AudioHaptic also has a "Global Voice Alerts" optin that takes you to the global alerts menu. I've moved the "Minute Beep" and "Beep Countdown" settings to a second page. Maybe, in time, I shall remove these completely, they are only present for backward compatibility.

I may post a new test version late today.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Thanks Mike. So, if we would like to use another welcome message without messing with the voice files in the SD Card, can we just rename the current file and move it to the "user" folder? Like this we could just use a global voice and easily change the welcome voice on the radio itself, correct?

I didn't see it yet, but if you are also leaving the global voice in the model voice menu, I think it should be the first on the list, or a sub menu of it. The reason is, looking back to the templates at the end of the mixer, no one really knew they were there :) I don't even know if they are still there. We tend to use the switches, mixes, etc from the top of the list in the menu, so we normally do not navigate to the end.. :)
Well, at least I don't :)

Thank you for spending your time on this amazing firmware..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Almost! At the moment, I think a "ONCE" global voice alert plays after the model name announcement. I'm not sure how to swap these round, and leave model specific "ONCE" messages play after, I will need to investigate.

Templates are still at the end on the mixer menu as well as accessible from the popup list.

We'll see how the current implementation goes for the global voice alerts, you can access them from two places.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I didn't test yet, but if I remove the "modelNames" folder and copy the files to the "User" folder, then program the model name on the voice menu, it might work.. Obviously this is not a good definitive solution. Even if I quite like the idea of programming the model name sound file in the Model voice menu..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've posted "f2". There are a couple of noticeable changes. On the main screen I've used the slightly smaller large font for the model name. This then provides some space at the top right where I've now put the time of day and the volume as a graphic. These have been on the Taranis, with the wider display, for some time. I may change what is displayed there at some point, but I thought I'd try this out.
There is also a new feature on Atmel processor based transmitters, which has taken most of my time for the last week. USB joystick to a PC should now be available, just start the radio normally, then plug the USB in and a joystick device (game controller) should appear on the PC.
As with the implementation on STM based transmitters, channels 1 to 8 are sent as analog values. Channels 9 to 16 are 8 switches, if a channel output is greater than 0 (centre), then the switch is ON.

The changes to global voice alerts I mentioned 4 post back are also included.

I may now find a bit more time for other things, including building a new aircraft!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Mike, Xmas is still a couple months away, But thank you very much for this and also for all the rest you do for the RC community..
This is a very nice surprise.. Thank you.
Today I don't have time, gotta do some real work, but will test this Sunday.. I'm speechless :mrgreen:
You've made my / our day..

Please enjoy building your new aircraft. Would love to see some pics of it. If you build with the same quality you program Ersky9x, your aircraft must look and fly amazingly well. :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Ok, Quick test.. Joystick works on the Ar9x :) I Like the Name "ERSKY9X HID" :) Very nice..

Also, the main screen loks reeeaaally nice. I like the time and volume there.. Maybe a cross over the speaker when the sound is muted for some reason? Not really necessary. It would just look cool :)
I really like the new font :) Much better than the old one, and smaller :) I think it should be used in all menus and displays, even replacing the old smaller font as well..

Thanks a lot Mike.. Great improvement.. :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've got a change so that the sequence of voice alerts becomes:
Welcome.wav plays,
Wait for spash screen to finish,
Play any global voice alerts set to ONCE,
Play the model name,
Play any model voice alerts set to ONCE.

I will see if this may be improved on.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

That sounds great Mike.. If this works good It might be possible to get rid of the "Welcome.wav" file and use only the GVAs.. We could even combine some :)
This sounds really good. I can already imagine the pranks I can do to my mates with it.. :mrgreen:

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”