Help deciding best way to do telemetry mods

All mods related to the frsky telemetry series of the firmware
ovisopa

Re: Help deciding best way to do telemetry mods

Post by ovisopa »

I opened now the 9x again to remove the wires from mainboard, and solder a servo conector on the TTL convertor, I will use than a servo wire to connect the Sparkfun TTL convertor to the DHT transmiter.

But what about the pins on the mainboard, on your guide, in step 1 you have marked with a green arrow the FrSKy RX and with a red arrow the FrSky TX

I will post back when mod is ready, some pictures also (I found a picture very very useful in those modification, especially for newbies like me)

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Those are the pins that go to the frsky RF module!

What type of module do you you have? DIY Internal? Or external plug in?

Rob
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
ovisopa

Post by ovisopa »

I have the DIY internal module.

When I bought the smartiebarts and TTL convertor, and FrSky DIY module I used your PDF guide as a shopping list :)

I don't know, maybe only I was confused, but now when I tried to modify the 9x I didn't really understood where to solder the two wires from the TTL. Now if I re-read the PDF I can see that is clearly stated where to connect the pins "In addition you will need to wire these two pin from the sparkfun adaptor to
the DHT/frskymodule.
"

Anyway, thank you for your help, I'm not finished yet as I think I can't see the voltage of the main 4S lipo without a sensor (which I didn't bought yet :( )
For now is ok, I will try to search more to see how to set the alarms, also it would be great if the layout of the telemetry screens can be changed but this is another story :)
Attachments
Turnigy 9x Telemetry mod DONE / Rx & Tx values
Turnigy 9x Telemetry mod DONE / Rx & Tx values
Turnigy 9x Telemetry mod DONE
Turnigy 9x Telemetry mod DONE
wires from TTL convertor to DHT transmitter telemetry port
wires from TTL convertor to DHT transmitter telemetry port
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Help deciding best way to do telemetry mods

Post by Rob Thomson »

Best current solution for changing the telemetry screen layouts is to use open9x. The telemetry options in open9x are simply superb!

No doubt er9x will get similar features in the near future!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
ovisopa

Post by ovisopa »

Than I should wait, I don;t really want to start all over again using a new firmware althrough it seems the way you enter in a menu is similar to er9x.

Now more important to me is to get the lipo curent on my display, and set some alarms for it. Don;t know yet how to do it and if I need the voltage sensor FLVS-01 or som other voltage sensor .. or if it can be done without any aditional sensor. Any advices are appreciated.

Thank you.

Crucial

Post by Crucial »

Are you just looking to get the voltage of your whole lipo pack or the individual cells? If you just want to get the voltage of the whole pack you can buy one of these and plug it into the A2 connector on the receiver.
http://www.alofthobbies.com/battery-voltage-sensor.html

You can also make one of these voltage sensors with a spare servo connector and some resistors. I can't find the post I used to make one. I have it bookmarked at my home computer.
ovisopa

Post by ovisopa »

Thank you crucial, this is very cheap and I don't think it worths the time to make it myself, I'll have to see what are the fees for international shipping. I don;t realy know if it helps that much to see the voltage of every cell because I think anyways the cells are discharging almost equaly, it's easier to see one big value 14,8v than 4 separate values.

If I'm wrong please correct me, but so far this is what I wanted and what I think it should be, and I'm happy it's also cheap and also could be made by DIY way.

PS. I just finished making a small voltage regulator using LM317 for the video receiver, I noticed it gets very hot when I'm powering it using 12v (same as my 7" monitor). Now I'm testing it on 10v to see how hot it gets.

UPDATE. international shipping seems to be very high (cheapest $17.80), I'll go the DIY way if I can't find one to buy from Europe or HongKong
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

This is how I do my voltage dividers http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... count=6973

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Crucial

Post by Crucial »

Mike have you heard about the ground loop problem when connecting the ground on the battery side? I've seen recommendations to leave that disconnected. Also what is the purpose of the 1K resistor and capacitor in your circuit?

Ovisopa, this is the post to the DIY divider I mentioned.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... count=2403
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The capacitor filters noise on the signal, the 1K resistor is there to prevent a low resistance ground loop, while providing a grouns connection.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

on my dividers I don't connect the ground on the battery side.. only on receiver side..
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
ovisopa

Post by ovisopa »

Mike, Crucial, thank you for the DIY guides .. I'll do them later today as it seems is very very easy. Now I'm struggling to make the MinimOSD to connect to APM2 telemetry port, it's been a few hours , and the second time I try to make it work but no luck .. always getting the "Waiting for Mavlink heartbeats" .. but I'm OFFTOPIC now :D I'll be back after I'll make my voltage divider.

Return to “FRSky Telemetry Mods”