Using FrSky S6R with ersky9x

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
ozphoenix

Re: Using FrSky S6R with ersky9x

Post by ozphoenix »

Just used the newest SportSet today - all good on the calibration stopping after step 6 -- and the graphic displays are good, too.

Had a thought that it would be good to be able to be able to trigger a Self Test (a la Ch12) from an app screen-button with the mouse without picking up a tool and pressing the S6R's own button (testing different things, sometimes hard to get to the button or don't want to move the S6R and anything around it to get to the button).

Also, in the LUA scripts for Taranis, etc (which I do not use) I understand you can see the internal gyro offset information (as mentioned in a post on the rcgroups thread for the S6R). Apparently, you can see how far off 'balanced' the gyros think they are, etc. Is this worthwhile information for most people and, if it is, is it (or can it be made) viewable in Sportset and/or ErSky9x?

Just my opinion and questions - not sure if anyone else agrees.

Other than that, many thanks as always to Mike B. - great stuff.

regards,
ozphoenix
MikeB wrote:SportSet now stops after the 6th position, ersky9x will take a bit more work, and may wait until after I do a release.
I've got some graphics into ersky9x for the mounting option.
SportSet now also has a RPM tab to allow you to configure the SPort RPM sensor. I've still to post this update and it may be a day or so until I have time to do so.

Mike.

andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Also, in the LUA scripts for Taranis, etc (which I do not use) I understand you can see the internal gyro offset information (as mentioned in a post on the rcgroups thread for the S6R). Apparently, you can see how far off 'balanced' the gyros think they are, etc. Is this worthwhile information for most people and, if it is, is it (or can it be made) viewable in Sportset and/or ErSky9x?
I fully agree with this! I think it would be good to have this data displayed on the radio screen / in the app.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The self test can only be triggered fro the button or channel 12, not from the SPort interface. In any case, when it finishes, you need to move the sticks for the S6R to set the servo limits.

I should be able to add the accelerometer values (not the gyros). They are not sent automatically, I have to ask for each one.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

Mike, I see, you posted a Linux version ...

Have PCLinuxOS 64 as my operating system and DEBIAN Jessie and Stretch (both 64) and Arch Linux in vboxes.

PCLinuxOS
23.jpeg
Missing lib, but lib is installed.

DEBIAN Stretch
Bildschirmfoto_2016-12-09_15-28-14.png
Same as PCLos

DEBIAN Jessie
Bildschirmfoto_2016-12-09_15-36-41.png
refuses to see the file

Arch Linux
Bildschirmfoto_2016-12-09_15-53-00.png
Refuses ...

br KH
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I compile for a 32-bit target as I only have a 32-bit linux installed in a virtual box. See this post: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpos ... tcount=640 for how to get the correct libraries.
I don't know a lot about linux, just use the virtual box for compiling!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

No chance, Mike.

Have to say, 32bit Linux is obsolete ...

KH
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Yeah, but for older machines there is no other option.. One of the great advantages from Linux, is the ability to give old computers a new life :) It is much lighter than windows..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

By "No chance" do you mean you can't get the libs, they don't work, or they don't coexist with 64-bit libraries?
I understood from the post to which I linked that they do work.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

I am here on a quite old machine with a P5QL ASUS board and Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz. Was up-to-date ~2007.
My operation system is PCLinuxOS 64bit and that is running fine. In vbox on that equipment I have at the moment DEBIAN JESSIE and DEBIAN STRETCH 64bit and ARCH LINUX 64bit. And also those are running fine. So much to "older machines". Under PCLinuxOS there is NO 64bit support anymore.

Therefore I tested under DEBIAN stable and testing. DEBIAN is the core LINUX distro with the biggest resources.

Did the test in both DEBIAN versions here.

Tried to load that "libqt5widgets5:i386"

Multiarch is installed in both see --> https://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch

I am owner and user of that SportSet1 file and it is set executable

See the results. It is NOT working!

Attach screenshot of Jessie and Stretch tests.

br KH

@João. With "older machines" you mean 386SX, 486DX-2 or P75 machines, I think :mrgreen:
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto_2016-12-09_19-05-35.png
Bildschirmfoto1.png
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Have you ever tried installing eepe or eepskye?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

jhsa wrote:Yeah, but for older machines there is no other option..
But for newer ones there is also no other option than 64-bit... linux is not like Windows that can arbitrarily run both with total compatibility.

The point is not "stop distributing an x86 version", it's "distribute an x64 version as well since anything newer than 5 years or so needs it".
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Then someone would have to build a 64 bit version.. I would do it if someone would teach me how to..
The problem is that I don't know how..
Mike, if you have some time to explain what I have to do, i would be very glad to build the linux versions for you. The problem is that I am just a beginner on Linux.. it is so powerful, but a the same time I could sometimes just throw my computer out of the window.. Easy tasks like for example calibrating your joystick mean a big headache :(

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I was testing something (unrelated) today and so tried binding the S6R to my external XJT module in a 9XR-PRO. The bind was OK, but I was then surprised when the S6R didn't respond. I took the XJT apart and see it is the (old) V2 PCB. This XJT had been working with the S6R. On checking, I noticed I was using a "receiver number" of 1. I changed this to 0 (the value I had used previously) and the S6R bound and worked OK.

I then pulled out my prototype Taranis with the internal V2 board and tried lots of RxNums.

0, 3, 4, 7, 9, and 10 didn't work but 1, 2, 5, 6, 7 and 8 did work. With the external XJT in the 'PRO, 0, 3, 4, 7, 9, and 10 work and 1, 2, 5, 6, 7 and 8, don't work, the exact opposite of the prototype Taranis.My production Taranis matches the external XJT module as far as working/non-working RxNums.

My prototype and production plusses and my X9E work on all RxNums.

I've also now seen two reports on other forums where a V3 board internal XJT fails on RxNums 0, 3 and 4 and works on 1, 2, 5 and 6.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

I wonder if it has anything to do with RF firmware version...
Though, I checked my XJT and S6R with both EU (LBT) and non-EU firmwares. Neither of them had any issues using RxNum from 0 to 10.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Interesting, I have an S6R to take out of the box and flash so I might try a few binds.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've posted an updated version of "SportSet" (for Windows) on the first post. This includes a "Print" option for the S6R configuration. I've still to build a copy for Linux.

I have a test version of firmware for the S6R from FrSky that drives the rudder in stabilisation mode when a wing type of Delta is selected. It also requires ch12 to be toggled between centre and off centre 5 times before the S6R enters self-check mode.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Mike,

Can you please add an "About" section or at least a version number somewhere in the program window (can be a date or anything else to help distinguish one version from another) to the next build of SportSet? I think I've redownloaded v6 at least three times, as I wasn't sure if my version is recent. :)

This is, of course, a very low priority request.

Thanks!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'll do that, I was thinking myself it was needed!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Thanks!!!

Oh, and Merry Christmas!!!!! :)
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Updated SportSet on the first post. This supports the AUX1 and AUX2 settings on the recent firmware update to the S6R.
If you are new to using this, download and install the (5.3Mb) original SportSet, then update the .exe with the latest file.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Mike, is the latest SportSet supposed to work with S6R firmware version prior to 2016-12-26 ? I find it behaves strangely in this case. It scrolls through all the parameters and stops at Aux1. When I click "Next", it goes to Aux2, and after another "Next" it scrolls through all the parameters to Aux1 again...

P.S. Though, I'm not sure myself whether support for earlier S6R firmwares is a good thing...
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

No, it isn't going to work with the older firmware. I think you are correct and it shouldn't support that!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Ok, understood and agreed! Thanks!

If you will have some spare time and ever get bored :) , can you please look into adding the ability to flash SPort devices (with .frk files) with SportSet ? Then it will become the one and only tool to work with Sport devices from PC!
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Mike,

What is the difference between Aux1 = Enabled and Ail2 Direction = Off ? Both turn off stabilization effect on Ail2, right?

I thought it's the same thing, simply called differently. But now that I played with the new SportSet, it appears these parameters are independent. Enabling Aux1 doesn't set Ail2 Direction Off. Hmm...

Same question goes to Aux2 and Ele2.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

The Direction = Off was a workaround that's pretty much redundant now that the correct option exists, guess it can be removed.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I will be removing the "Off" option for AIL2 and ELE2 as they are not needed. I wanted to make sure the AUX options were working correctly first.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

From a user's point of view, I think it is more convenient to have the same way of disabling compensation for any selected channel.

I understand this Aux thing is the way how FrSky sees it. But now if one wants to disable compensation on Ail1 (for any reason), he needs to do it via direction setting, and to do exactly the same thing on Ail2 he will need to enable Aux1... confusing...
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

You're not supposed to be able to disable compensation.
Actually the workaround could have been problematic in some cases.
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Well, yes. As any other change not offered by the vendor, it could have been problematic. In fact, even the features offered by FrSky are problematic sometimes. So anything could have its flaws...

I admit, I don't fly much nowadays. I wasn't able to test the workaround in flight myself. So I have to rely on the opinion of others, and I heard of no issues with it so far.
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Dear All,

I'm trying to help a person to update the firmware on his S6R. The S6R is not detected when trying to reflash it. At first he tried to flash it with his Taranis. When that failed, he made an Arduino-based STK. But it didn't help, too. He gets to the point when Taranis / PC is looking for a device, then he connects his S6R - but nothing happens. The S6R flashes red LED slowly, and the PC / Taranis is still searching for a device.

We seem to have checked everything. When flashing firmware, the jumper on Arduino is installed. S6R is connected only AFTER the application starts searching for the device. That same Arduino is able to reflash other S.Port devices, so the tools seem to work fine. It makes me think there is an issue with the S6R itself.

That same S6R gets configured properly when using an Arduino-STK and a PC application (I believe the guy used an FrSky app). So it's not just a poor contact in the S.Port itself (or so it seems).

Any ideas what else to look for?

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”